The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh111222 View Post
I finally have an update on my D-18. The repair shop got back to me yesterday with an estimate for the neck re-set. It also needs a re-fret. The estimate is close to a grand for both. If the D-18 had the serial number I would consider this but without the SN I can't justify putting that much money into it. With the bridge work that was done previously it is playable but it certainly could be better. Thanks for all of the replies.
Seriously, how many people look for a serial number? I certainly wouldn't. It's a used standard guitar, not a pre-war gold mine. What use is the SN on a used guitar? You are here amidst a bunch of cork-sniffers that constitute a tiny minority of the guitar-buying public. If you like the guitar, I would get it done.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Seriously, how many people look for a serial number?
People who have had guitars stolen...
Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Seriously, how many people look for a serial number? I certainly wouldn't. It's a used standard guitar, not a pre-war gold mine. What use is the SN on a used guitar? You are here amidst a bunch of cork-sniffers that constitute a tiny minority of the guitar-buying public. If you like the guitar, I would get it done.
I have a couple of other very good dreadnoughts that are in great condition (Taylor Dan Crary Signature Model) and a Martin HD-35) so it is hard to rationalize spending that much to get the D-18 back in shape. Part of me wants to because it was my first good guitar but my practical side is winning out at the moment
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I finally have an update on my D-18. The repair shop got back to me yesterday with an estimate for the neck re-set. It also needs a re-fret. The estimate is close to a grand for both. If the D-18 had the serial number I would consider this but without the SN I can't justify putting that much money into it. With the bridge work that was done previously it is playable but it certainly could be better. Thanks for all of the replies.
That price sounds about right for that kind of work.

You are looking at this all wrong in considering resale value. Do you like the guitar? One might think so, given that you have kept it for 42 years. So for a grand you are going to get back a guitar that you like anyway, and that has had the work done on it so as to be in excellent playing condition for the next 42 years. Even though you might be around the same age as I am (61), you might get another 10-20 years of playing out of it. So you get a rebuilt guitar for $100 per year or less. The neck reset and frets on my '57 00-18 is long paid for in playing time. (done 10 years ago)

There are two kinds of value here. One is the dollar value if sold. The other is intrinsic value as an instrument. And they are not one and the same. Given the missing serial numbers and probability that you could not sell it for much if you do find a buyer, the dollar value may be far less than the intrinsic value. The cost of the neck reset and frets is an investment in the intrinsic value, even it you could not recoup that investment in dollars.

Having the timing belts done on my Subaru does not increase the dollar value of my car. But it does increase the intrinsic value.

OMMV

TW

Last edited by Mycroft; 05-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of other very good dreadnoughts that are in great condition (Taylor Dan Crary Signature Model) and a Martin HD-35) so it is hard to rationalize spending that much to get the D-18 back in shape. Part of me wants to because it was my first good guitar but my practical side is winning out at the moment
Does it move you when you play it? It must do to a certain extent or you wouldn't consider it.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I have been following this kinda hit and miss, so pardon me if I am offering advice already declared unusable...but it reinforces at least some of what is on this last page.

Consider what you might replace it with for $1000. Some pretty nice instruments, but to get what you have (without any sentimental, and well played-in value) you need a bigger investment than that. I tend to agree with the general (though not universal) sentiment that the S/N is important. I would look at that if only to learn the manufacture date. I would agree with the advice offered that the instrument may be worth much more to you than the market would bear.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

You are looking at this all wrong in considering resale value. Do you like the guitar? One might think so, given that you have kept it for 42 years. So for a grand you are going to get back a guitar that you like anyway, and that has had the work done on it so as to be in excellent playing condition for the next 42 years. Even though you might be around the same age as I am (61), you might get another 10-20 years of playing out of it. So you get a rebuilt guitar for $100 per year or less. The neck reset and frets on my '57 00-18 is long paid for in playing time. (done 10 years ago)

There are two kinds of value here. One is the dollar value if sold. The other is intrinsic value as an instrument. And they are not one and the same. Given the missing serial numbers and probability that you could not sell it for much if you do find a buyer, the dollar value may be far less than the intrinsic value. The cost of the neck reset and frets is an investment in the intrinsic value, even it you could not recoup that investment in dollars.

Having the timing belts done on my Subaru does not increase the dollar value of my car. But it does increase the intrinsic value.

OMMV

TW
These are good points and gives me more to consider. The guitar has been played a lot over the years so the tone is well seasoned. I do like it so I will have to think on this some more. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:

OMMV

TW
Well-worded.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
These are good points and gives me more to consider. The guitar has been played a lot over the years so the tone is well seasoned. I do like it so I will have to think on this some more. Thanks.
If you got another D18 it won''t be same. You know how that one works. You can't buy the 40-odd years to add to a new one. I would look at it the way Mycroft has put it. I think it's the right approach.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
If you got another D18 it won''t be same. You know how that one works. You can't buy the 40-odd years to add to a new one. I would look at it the way Mycroft has put it. I think it's the right approach.
Yes, after considering this again I have decided the same thing. I called the repair shop and told them to proceed. It is a lot of money but it will be nice to have the guitar back in correct playing condition again. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM

You’re making the right decision. You’re gonna get this thing back in playable condition and it’s going to be amazing. Wood that old, played that much with perfect playability, you can’t match that with out spending much more than $1000! Please let us know how it is.

Gone but not forgotten
Martin 00LX-1
Martin 000m
Martin DM
Martin LXM
Martin LXK2
Seagull SWS Minijumbo
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor GC3
Taylor 324
2002 Art & Lutherie Ami
Old 05-21-2018, 11:53 PM

Glad to hear you are getting the old guitar fixed up! I took a similar path for my Gibson LG-1 that I've owned for 45 years, and it's not even a nice guitar!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
People who have had guitars stolen...
Very true

Just think if that guitar were stolen just how hard would the police look for anything with a ground off serial number?

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
Glad to hear you are getting the old guitar fixed up! I took a similar path for my Gibson LG-1 that I've owned for 45 years, and it's not even a nice guitar!
If you had a way to confirm the age of the guitar, that year would not be nearly as valuable as something 1969, or earlier, due to the whole vintage thing. Not as big a jump at D-28 with the whole Brazilian rosewood change to Indian, but still more value for a few years.

sm
Old 07-26-2018, 04:37 AM

Default I have my guitar back!

At long last I have my D-18 back with a neck re-set and new fret work complete. It is like playing a different guitar. I had almost forgotten how loud this guitar used to be. It hasn't projected this well since I had the bridge shaved in the mid 90s. New Martin SP strings are on it which really sound good too. I posted some pictures of the guitar if anyone is interested in seeing it. Again, it is a 1975 vintage.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to get this done. It cost a lot but it was well worth it, I now actually want to play the guitar!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1929.jpg (31.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1932.jpg (25.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1934.jpg (28.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1930.jpg (38.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1931.jpg (25.5 KB, 125 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion