The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 AM

Default Ibanez Jem Jr. .... If You get a Good One....

The Steve Vai Jem is now almost $4K here in Canada, Taxes inc.

The Jem Jr. is $700.

I tried 2 of them. One was garbage that would not stay in tune nor get tuned, with a thick, thumpy bad tone and 10's on it. Made me ill.

Then I tried one next to it with a better setup and 9s, and its tone blew me away.

I pulled the trigger on it. It sounds easily as good as an RG, even better than the one I owned.

I still perform with acoustics...but nothing, nothing gives you the rush of a good dedicated rock guitar with the right overdrive.

So, if you have not much money and want that Vai/Satriani sound, find a good Jem Jr.

Not all are created equal, make sure they have a decent return policy!
Old 04-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A couple of my friends had the Gem Vai Sigs with Vai's blood in the paint. They loved them but decided their money could go further with regular Gems. They even went to GemFest in New York!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Jem Jrs rule probably the best sub $1000 non Iron Label guitar Ibanez produces right now. I have one and plan on getting a new one for modding. I might even pickup one of those yellow ones they just brought out this year.
The biggest gripe I have is those Ibanez non edge trems suck and the knife edges wear really quickly and then it doesn't want to float properly. The nut has the same problem. It's almost like the metal is softer than it should be. Have I mentioned how much I hate cosmo black hardware because its so hard to find replacement parts that match? I've seen both a Floyd Rose original and an Ibanez Lo-Pro fit and it didn't look like the cavity needed further routing. There are lots of cool mods people have done with these guitars. The Quantum pickups are a little bright as well.
I really can't recommend these guitars enough. They make a great platform for a project guitar similar to the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Yes i agree on the quality. It is a wonderful guitar. I was doing countyr and smooth jazz on it tonight after the pre requisite rock bends.....and it even does that well! Ridiculously good guitar

I LOVE he pickups

TONS of variety

Jacksons at same price point...bleh
Old 04-12-2018, 09:03 AM

If I wanted the Satch Surfin' With The Alien sound, a real 82-84 Kramer Pacer (which is what he played then) will set you back the same or less, and is nuch better IMO.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
A couple of my friends had the Gem Vai Sigs with Vai's blood in the paint.

Bob
Seriously?

That's like The Red Violin stuff there.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Seriously? That's like The Red Violin stuff there.
Yep. Completely. He is a bit like Paganini.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars