The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 PM

I had an expensive head over for a putter that I sold on eBay. Left it on the bench by the door when I went out to get a box. Well, let's say the dog thought it was a new chew toy. When I explained to the buyer they left negative feedback. I offered to refund 50% and send the half a cover that was left but they declined...
Gibson R0 Les Paul
Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had numerous great transactions on Reverb, and always amazed at how well that distributed network works, especially compared to eBay. I had one issue on a purchase in which both Reverb and the seller responded quickly with offer to cover my expense, refund, make me happy — and in fact the deal worked out better for me in the end. Other transactions have been perfect ... Reverb being a well orchestrated middle man agent.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty55 View Post
Has this ever happened to you with Reverb?

I made an offer on a used case for sale on Reverb.
The case had been listed for a long time.
The seller accepted my offer, which was $30 off the $150 listing price.
The case was sold with 'free shipping' - which was a great deal.
I paid.
The seller sends a note indicating that the case had shipped.

Time goes by - several weeks.
No case arrives - but I'm patient (and over confident).
Then Reverb calls to ask if the case ever arrived -
I tell them - no - but I'd still like to get it.
They tell me not to worry - I'll get a refund.

Then they send me an email - saying the case never shipped because the seller indicated that the case was 'defective' !??

Makes no sense to me - photos and description show no defects.
The used case was sold as is - lots of photos.
Any visible defects would be my problem.

Seems like the seller sold it to someone else - after accepting my offer.
Presumably got a better deal.

Reverb then apparently let them off the hook by giving them an 'out' to explain the cancellation of the sale - which the seller never communicated directly - by claiming the case was 'defective'.

Reverb refunds my money so I'm not screwed - great
But, I'd much rather have the case.

I've never had this kind of seller retraction issue on Ebay - ever
Just wonder, does this happen often on Reverb?
When I sell stuff ,I list on multiple sites, and include a message that all sales are first come, first serve. Some sellers , whether from lack of fore-thought/experience selling, don't think to do this, and it can lead to what you describe. E.g. The guitar sells for full price on another site while you are going back and forth with offers on another site. Due to PayPal and seller fees, it is hard to get what you need for used gear. For me, I sell to the person that was first, because reputation is important for selling on line. Not everyone is going to do that. If a sellers actions bother me, I cross them off my list, then move on. Sounds like your seller used the default "item defective" to opt out, without having to explain their reasoning to you. Bummer, but who wants to do online biz with a seller that doesn't communicate any better than that?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems like the seller sold it to someone else - after accepting my offer.
Presumably got a better deal.

Reverb then apparently let them off the hook by giving them an 'out' to explain the cancellation of the sale - which the seller never communicated directly - by claiming the case was 'defective'.
From Reverb's pov, it makes sense. Even if a large percentage of the deals that go down this way are because the seller got a better offer, it beats dealing with the headache of forcing damaged goods to ship. If I'm Reverb, I'd rather have people complaining that they got full refunds than people complaining that they got damaged goods and now have to wait to get their money back. The former may leave the buyer disappointed but the latter could kill the business.

Quote:
I've never had this kind of seller retraction issue on Ebay - ever
Just wonder, does this happen often on Reverb?
I've had that happen to me on eBay. It probably happens with equal frequency on both sites.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 04-06-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM

I've done many deals on Reverb. And they've almost all been positive. The only bad deal was one where a buyer never paid after I accepted his offer. Tried to contact him a few times. Finally, I contacted Reverb support, and they cancelled the transaction. When I went to leave negative feedback for the deadbeat buyer, I found that I could not because Reverb cancelled the transaction. Turns out it's a flaw in their system. Hopefully they've fixed that issue. But overall, I've been very pleased with their support.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
reverb, seller retraction