The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Just got home from the show. A terrific event this year! The crowd seemed good, while at the same time keeping the noise level manageable. Great to see lots of friends and there was no shortage of great guitars.

Here's a few photos of the guitars and luthiers I played demo concerts for this year:

Peggy White's OM was fantastic, very rich sounding:

Dontcho Ivanov parlor was a thing of beauty, and really fun to play. Big sound from a little box!

I demo'd for Jonathon Razzo last year, and was impressed. This year's guitar takes it up a notch and this OM was a great guitar:

Harvey Leach's OM was the most expensive guitar I've ever played, by a long shot - 6 figures... Carrying it thru the crowd to the demo stage was a little nerve-wracking :-)

Guitars had to compete with the scenery, of course. View outside my room:

and looking the other direction at night:

Old 08-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Well, to be honest, last year's show was fairly lightly attended, A strong West Coast show is in everyone's best interest.
I could not agree more. I attended last year and was shocked by how lightly attended it was.

I have to admit that I attended in spite of what I saw as the promoter's poor understanding of what a luthier guitar show needs to be. It does, however, look like he has done a much better job this year, but, first impressions can be powerful. I would hate to lose this show after losing Healdsburg.

I am hoping to see everybody there next year.

Steve

P.S. Thanks for the pics Don & Doug.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Appreciate the photos Don. For we on the right coast, it's the only SBAIC we will be able to enjoy!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Don, Doug thanks for the photos. (Particularly the one towards the beach Doug....it's winter down here in Australia and that photo looked great!)

Glad those who attended enjoyed the show, I went to HGF in 2013 and would really love to get to another show at some stage, so I hope this one keeps going.

Col
Old 08-28-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Don, Doug thanks for the photos. (Particularly the one towards the beach Doug....it's winter down here in Australia and that photo looked great!)

Glad those who attended enjoyed the show, I went to HGF in 2013 and would really love to get to another show at some stage, so I hope this one keeps going.

Col
Please come next year!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 AM

It was a mellow California good time get together.

I bought a guitar.

Northwood L-00 of Torrified Adirondack and plain old Mahogany. It was the same price as the Mustapick I bought at Healdsburg in 2008. Amazing deep bodied little beast with light weight and powerful bass. The builder/owner creates a musical instrument for an affordable price.

So now I have a dread, two OMs, a classical, and an L-00. I hope I am done.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post

The triumph of Hope over Experience...
Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I posted a few in the other thread yesterday. I didn't take too many, but here are the remainder of what I took using my iPad mini (not the greatest pictures, but hey, you asked!)...

Isaac Jang with some guitar royalty

Another Matsuda

Mike Baranik had triplets and twins as well as some customer owned Meridians. The Maple parlors were interior lined with Brazilian and it worked well!

And of course DD's awesome guitar made by Leo Buendia, and the other guitar that he brought that quickly sold.

I took other pics, but they are of the same guitars that were already shown. I had a great time, met some wonderful folks and was even able to play a Somogyi (with Michi's permission of course). I didn't even come close to playing 1/4 of the guitars there, but some standouts (in no particular order) were Sexauer's Pear and Pernambuco guitars, all of Baranik's beauties, Doerr's Swiss/Braz guitar, Matsuda's burst guitar, DD's Buendia and of course the Somogyi.

All in all, it felt like there were only about half the luthiers present as last year, but equally as fun and engaging. Of course the venue was first class.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
It was a mellow California good time get together.

I bought a guitar.

Northwood L-00 of Torrified Adirondack and plain old Mahogany. It was the same price as the Mustapick I bought at Healdsburg in 2008. Amazing deep bodied little beast with light weight and powerful bass. The builder/owner creates a musical instrument for an affordable price.

I'm not surprised at this purchase, Northwood guitars are great sounding guitars, as I have played a couple. I missed out getting a Sitka/Maple OM that I regret to this day

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm guilty of attending and not taking any photos this year. There were just too many fabulous guitars to play and see that I lost track of time. And I didn't even get to everybody's booth to try them all out!

I attended last year as well, and this year's venue was so superior to last year. I hope this festival continues on in this vein and that all of those who were scared away from last year, both luthiers and attendees, will return in full force!

It was super cool hanging out and meeting and talking with all of these talented people. And special thanks to Juston, Marty, and Jim who brought their personal guitars to the show for me to check out...

I didn't buy any guitars this year, but I do believe a future build is upcoming...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

This year was much better though still a bit light on attendance though higher than last. After Woodstock and La Conner I was hoping to have the same crowds but not to be. The people there were interested in the guitars and as a whole the show was light years better than the last one.

There are lots photos on facebook from Isaac Jang including this one of my table

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 08-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Fred. Here is the link to Isaac's FB Page. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=isaac%20jang

Lots of cool pics indeed.

Steve
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Default SBAIC Pictures

The Fess Parker Resort was a big facilities upgrade for SBAIC and Kevin put on a great event this year. I was too busy playing guitars and visiting with luthiers and participants to take many pictures but here are a few:

Tony McManus test driving an Isaac Jang guitar. He and Michael Chapdelaine were great together in concert Friday evening.

Doug Young with a splendid demo performance of the Beatles "I Will" with the
Jonathan Razo flamed maple OM he posted a picture of earlier in this thread.

John Datlen showing the back of his engleman-cocobolo single 0 guitar. Another participant purchased this one...but he is now a builder on my short list.

Just a great time and so many fun things to do in Santa Barbara and the surrounding area...was fortunate to have a few days off before the festival to take advantage of the wine country and beaches. Good to see a number of AGF friends old and meet a few new ones too.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 09-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

https://www.facebook.com/isaacjang91...1&l=eac45ced7d

Here is a link to Isaac Jangs FB page, it should be open to the public... Sometimes easier to access on a computer vs phone...

Here is a huge album of the SBAIC Show...!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
https://www.facebook.com/isaacjang91...1&l=eac45ced7d

Here is a link to Isaac Jangs FB page, it should be open to the public... Sometimes easier to access on a computer vs phone...

Here is a huge album of the SBAIC Show...!!!
BRILLIANT! Thanks Dave and Steve for the links. Isaac, you are incredible for taking and sharing these wonderful pics. (And hi Mike! Hi Kathy! Hi Al!)

Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop