The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Had the opportunity to play both yesterday. The Older D28 was a used guitar with new strings and the 2017 D28 was a new guitar with old strings. Still, the newer version sounded more open and punchy to my ears. If not for a slight hump at the 13th fret I would have walked with it. A new D-28 is now on my radar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I played a new 2017 D-28 the day it arrived at my local shop last week. I was very impressed with the guitar. they had an older D28 with dead strings. It was a dog, but that may have been the string condition and age. The 2017 has an ease of projection that I found impressive. Very musical and I personally love the neck and 1 3/4" string spacing at the Nut. GREAT revision. If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess Martin will sell a ton of the new version D28. Really a great guitar at a reasonable price point compared to other well regarded guitars.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM

On a slightly side note, can somebody PLEASE get Martin to put their Performing Artist neck on the HD-28? I know I could get a custom order, but it seems most people are liking the transition to the newer necks, and if this becomes standard on the HD-28, I couldn’t imagine too many negative opinions on it. Unless someone wants to inform me on a reason they won’t be doing this anytime soon..
Old 12-13-2017, 06:51 PM

I played a 2017 D28 a couple weeks ago. Loved the guitar honestly, and thought that it sounded so much more clear and dynamic than the previous model. Still didn’t beat out my D18 though.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I hear a big difference. The old version (not only in this video but everyone I heard from 1995 on) sounded flat and muffled to me. The new one sings and has much more character. Wish they put V necks on these guitars, but it sounds nice and worthy of the price.
I think that's an apt description. More specifically, I think what the forward shifted bracing does is allows more overtones. The old bracing muffled those overtones a bit which is what archerscreek heard as did I.

I haven't played a new D28 yet, but I have to wait to see how the overall neck shape and nut width work together. My D35 has a 1 11/16" nut, but a soft V neck which combine to make it super comfortable and while I sometimes prefer the sound of either of my Taylors for some things, I much prefer my D35's neck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
(2017 D-28 versus Pre-2017 D-28?) Is the neck that different, or is it the nut width / string spacing that feels so different to you?
Sorry---meant D-18. Don't think it's as much the nut width, or string spacing, but the shallow thickness, or maybe it's not as meaty near the sides. Up next to the nut it almost feels like a flat board with not much in the middle at the bottom. I also have an Eastman Dread with a 1-3/4 neck that feels just fine to me, so I don't think it's just the nut-neck- width or string spacing. My Eastman feels more like my 2016 D-28 with just a little wider string spacing. I might could get used to the performance neck, and can see why others would like it, but I like the more rounded necks enough to stay with them.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Default no....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
To me, the new version sounds better in this video, but you could have two identically constructed guitars sound very different.
Nope..sorry...but nope..I finally played one...they are more better!...Plus...that black pick guard has always bothered me..(I don't know why)....as another poster said this guitar is deeper and higher sounding than the old one....they hit a home run with it in my book. (Kinda like they did when they FINALLY fixed the D-18 a few years ago!!)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Nope..sorry...but nope..I finally played one...they are more better!...Plus...that black pick guard has always bothered me..(I don't know why)....as another poster said this guitar is deeper and higher sounding than the old one....they hit a home run with it in my book. (Kinda like they did when they FINALLY fixed the D-18 a few years ago!!)
This is my opinion as well. But there are certainly great pre-2017 D18's as well. For my money, the new 2017 is vastly more appealing 'to me'.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-14-2017, 08:04 AM

They both sound absolutely beautiful to my ears (damaged and high-tone deaf due aircraft engines).

I thought the 2017 sounded a little more mellow and the 2016 'crisper'.

I shall 'soldier on' with my 2008 D-28 as I have neither the funds (readily available) or the interest to change from the best Dreadnought I've ever played.

Thanks Spoon. Seems to me Martin can't lose this one . . . (good).
Old 12-14-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
This is my opinion as well. But there are certainly great pre-2017 D18's as well. For my money, the new 2017 is vastly more appealing 'to me'.
I know that straight braces are a staple of the 28 series, but man I wish they had just scalloped the braces and made it similar to the D-18. I'm sure they don't want to take away sales from the HD, but talk about a show stopper!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM

The new version sounds like an Eastman E20D

Oh boy...now I've done it

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I know that straight braces are a staple of the 28 series, but man I wish they had just scalloped the braces and made it similar to the D-18. I'm sure they don't want to take away sales from the HD, but talk about a show stopper!
Then you would have an HD-28 wouldn't you? (Sort of) LOL
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then you would have an HD-28 wouldn't you? (Sort of) LOL
Really an HD-28V as those scalloped braces would be forward shifted?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 PM

Both good. Not my cup of tea sound wise, but I liked the new model more.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:52 PM

The new one sounds far more open to me, whilst the older one sounds more compressed... I know that's generally considered a good thing, but not when it causes a fundamental tonal-shift to an iconic tone.

I don't think the new one sounds like a Martin! I prefer the tone of the older one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, guitar comparison, martin