The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 02:56 AM

Default New to the Community

First post here. Same post, cut and pasted, from Canadian Guitar Forum.

Just a married father of four who never grew up, with 6 guitars, 5 from thrift stores, bargains and beaters, including an Arthur Hensel Artist parlor guitar (1930`s, Goodwill find, great sound, needs neck reset, though) a late 60's CBS Masterworks MGW-550 ($65 - Value Village, great shape), a 1981 Yamaha FG-335ii, ($85, Value Village, w/case, hardly played), an Alvarez 5062 dreadnought (purchased new, 1991, under-rated guitar), a 1968 Kiso-Suzuki classical K-100 ($60 Value Village, incredible sound and shape) and an old Suzuki No. 9 parlor guitar, 1962, $9.99 at VV. If the action on this were lower, with some extra light or silk and steel strings - it's got an amazing sound for a guitar most see as a junker (looks the part, but all together, no splits in the wood). So here I am. In Calgary. Hoping to learn, share, and "see" here. (-17, as I type). Nothing like finding an eclectic, unique gem, at a thrift store of estate sale!

Might as well ask - anyone w/any deeper info on any of these guitars, let me know. I have a fair bit of knowledge on the Hensel, and the CBS Masterworks (Fender made, but would like to know the solid woods used, as it's not laminate, as well as the value). I am also interested in the No. 9 Suzuki - what type of solid woods were used. And if anyone knows a good luthier in Calgary - looking for the best, for my buck in tough economy, to reset the neck on the Hensel. (Three of my kids play strings, one viola, two violins. The fourth plays flute. The wife knits, and is very "artisan". I'm pretty fortunate they don't mind the guitars!)

Also, looking at adding a 1948 Stella to the family, though the headstock has nothing on it, nor does it have fret "dots". Seeing it Monday evening. $200, but not firm. Photo of the action doesn't look too bad. One of the above guitars may have to go, though, to make room. We shall see...

Pax!

James
Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 AM

Hi, James, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't have any information to offer you about those specific guitars, but keep asking, and chances are that someone will. What might get faster responses will be if you put the guitar brand names in the thread title, as someone scanning the threads on offer might have some information to offer you, but wouldn't know that from your "New to the Community" header.

Anyway, it's nice to have you join us. I live in Alaska, and we're kind of like Canadians, only not as good-looking.

Cheers!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-18-2016, 04:35 AM

Welcome James!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:21 AM

Welcome aboard, shame about the team
Old 12-18-2016, 06:27 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome, James, I've recently joined myself, and am enjoying this great forum!
Southern Alberta resident/and Yuma, AZ right now.

You have quite a collection, no info from me on them, but sounds like you're having a grand time collecting and playing and with a musical/crafty family.

Jan
Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Welcome, James... hope you'll stick around for a while.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Hey James, welcome. Your post reads like an intro to a support group.

"Hi, my name is James and I'm a guitar addict......"
Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
...Nothing like finding an eclectic, unique gem, at a thrift store of estate sale!
Yeah, good stuff. Welcome!

-Warren
My Website
Old 12-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the party. I never heard of most of your guitars but keep looking, someone knows something about them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, arthur hensel, cbs masterworks, suzuki, yamaha