The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 PM

Default 7-string acoustics. Do they exist?

One of my guitar teachers had a 7 string electric, and it was incredible what he could do with moving base. So many times I wished for an extra bass string...say tuned to an F, when playing in key of C.

My suspicion is that the extra tension caused by an extra string would make for a pretty big and bulky guitar. Anyway, I've never seen one. Seen some of those weirdo harp guitars, lutes, 12 strings (of course) and electrics.

Comments?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:06 PM

I've got an Ibanez 7 string, I think it's an AWC model, rosewood and sitka (or engleman). The low B string can be a bear getting into the bridge hole, it sounds good and definitely has some acoustical advantageous. There are some downsides too,

H
Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Actually one of our first guitars was built for a great jazz guitarist Danny McKnight. It was a koa 7 string. A great guitar not overly built. The nut is 1 7/8" so a little wider, but not overly so. Randomly I saw that it has become available on Reverb here: 7-string Kinnaird. (I am not selling nor have any interest in the sale of the guitar. Just thought for picture purposes I would include the link. Also we did not put that pickguard on it.)

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-11-2016, 07:43 PM

http://www.rondomusic.com/RENAISSANCE7XNA1.HTML

http://www.rondomusic.com/product8066.html
Old 10-11-2016, 07:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13jz-bCrIq4
Old 10-11-2016, 07:47 PM

The Martin Roger McGuinn signature model:
http://guitarz.blogspot.com/2012/04/...signature.html

Last edited by dodge; 10-12-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I have a Dean 7 string that cost me about $300. The low string can be tuned either to A or B. Many jazz folks tune to B, but I have heard some acoustic fingerstyle players tune down to A. I would need a bit thicker string to tune down to A so it doesn't get too floppy. I chose a bit thinner string since I tune it to B so it seems more consistent with the rest of the standard tuning (a 4th below the low E).

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Ask Vladimir Vysotsky. (Bring your crystal ball.)
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 PM

Gallagher guitars built the Steve Kaufman signature 7 string model in the mid 1990's.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Actually one of our first guitars was built for a great jazz guitarist Danny McKnight. It was a koa 7 string. A great guitar not overly built. The nut is 1 7/8" so a little wider, but not overly so. Randomly I saw that it has become available on Reverb here: 7-string Kinnaird. (I am not selling nor have any interest in the sale of the guitar. Just thought for picture purposes I would include the link. Also we did not put that pickguard on it.)
I tried playing that guitar a few months back. Luckily there was another guy in the shop who knew what he was doing and managed to make sense of it for me. Sounds great!

Julius Borges OM-18 (Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany)
Bob Altman OM-2D (Adirondack/Brazilian Rosewood)
John Greven 00-12 (Lutz/Brazilian Rosewood)
Fraulini Erma (Sitka/White Oak)
Harmony H162 (Sitka/Mahogany)
Franklin Jumbo (Engleman/EIR)
Ken Hooper 12 Fret D28 (Carpathian/Honduran Rosewood)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 AM

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/

http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x2...v=ebe021079e5a
Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 AM

There are several different types of 7-string guitars.

I have owned the Martin McGuinn. The third (G) string that is augmented with a high octave string. It is played like a 6-string. I wish I still had it.

I played a Benedetto 7-string. The seven strings are tuned B1–E2–A2–D3–G3–B3–E4. It is a beautiful jazz guitar. I didn't feel worthy to play it.

I have heard of - but never seen -a Russian guitar (or Gypsy guitar) that is 7 strings with an open tuning.

I think there are more options.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 AM

Interesting, thanks for the posts.
I thought the Martin D-7 was pretty interesting guitar, the sound of a 12 string with only 7 strings and the ability to quickly take off that extra (3rd) string.

Are any of you playing one of these 7-stringers?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 PM

7-string acoustics can be found if one is patient. Ibanez made a very nice version in the late 90s thru maybe 2004 or so. AJ307. They come up on Evil-Bay once in awhile. I owned one for several years. Really liked it but the nut width was under 2 inches (not enough for my fat fingers). I currently own and play daily a 7-string acoustic built by Oskar Graf of Canada in 2003 for an unnamed guitarist in NY (I purchased it in 2013 thru a dealer in NC). A magnificent instrument, but its small jumbo body is a little deeper than would otherwise be the case and finding the right string gauge for the 7th takes some patience. There are intonation compromises there, too, depending on the scale length. But after 20 years of playing 7-string, mostly, in performance, I'd never (entirely) go back to just 6, especially for improvised music. Good luck to the OP, and enjoy the search!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 PM

I get the Ibanez 7 string acoustic out every year or so, for about one week.

My picking has vastly improved since the last time I touched it, so it would be interesting. You really need accuracy and multi picking down to utilize a 7 string, you need to know how to do baseline and melody at the same time if you are playing alone. It ain't easy,

H

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion