The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

168cm means that you are about 5 feet 6 inches tall by US measurement. Perhaps you are a bit taller than a typical asian female and that means you will have a wider range of options in choosing your guitar as larger ones may be comfortable for you.

The main thing, as pretty much everyone has stated, is to try as many guitars as you can and get a sense of what appeals to you. If you contact the Seagull guitar company via email, they can send you a link that shows the dimensions and woods used in all of their guitars.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 PM

Carolove, I myself would buy the Takamine. Don't like the headstock of Seagulls or S&P. And if you like a cutaway then get a cutaway. I for one like the more natural looking guitars, and my older brother (who lives in Florida-I'm in Ohio, about 1000 miles away about 620 KM) asked me what he should spend and buy as a beginner. I said he should spend about $300 used and get a guitar with a case.

I gave him a few brands to look for, and he ended up buying an Ibanez (I believe it was the model you mentioned), but he got a blue to black burst and no case or gig bag. He paid $80 off craigslist- took a friend of his who plays and that guy checked it out.

The problem with the colored finish (especially a dark blue or black one) is that they never look good unless they've just been polished. After that they show every finger print and smudge.

I also second Alvarez and Yamaha as good options. Yamaha makes a very good guitar for the price and can be a very good value.

You're middle finger is about 3.14 inches long, and your "palm and finger together" is about 6.9 inches (not sure what you mean by that measurement- are you talking about when you put your palms together and measure from the heel of your hand to the tips of your fingers?)..
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
Carolove, I myself would buy the Takamine. Don't like the headstock of Seagulls or S&P. And if you like a cutaway then get a cutaway. I for one like the more natural looking guitars, and my older brother (who lives in Florida-I'm in Ohio, about 1000 miles away about 620 KM) asked me what he should spend and buy as a beginner. I said he should spend about $300 used and get a guitar with a case.

I gave him a few brands to look for, and he ended up buying an Ibanez (I believe it was the model you mentioned), but he got a blue to black burst and no case or gig bag. He paid $80 off craigslist- took a friend of his who plays and that guy checked it out.

The problem with the colored finish (especially a dark blue or black one) is that they never look good unless they've just been polished. After that they show every finger print and smudge.

I also second Alvarez and Yamaha as good options. Yamaha makes a very good guitar for the price and can be a very good value.

You're middle finger is about 3.14 inches long, and your "palm and finger together" is about 6.9 inches (not sure what you mean by that measurement- are you talking about when you put your palms together and measure from the heel of your hand to the tips of your fingers?)..
I agree about the weird seagull headstocks. It tapers into a weird spearhead kind of thing. On the flipside, I will say that I prefer the neck dimensions of the Seagulls I've played to any other sub $500 guitar.

If I were in your position though, I'd be on the lookout for a good Taylor 110 or 114. A 214 or 210 come up at nice prices too if you're lucky. I started on a Taylor 110 and played it every day until I sold it to buy a Martin guitar. Never regretted owning that Taylor and would be happy to own a Taylor again one day.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
But be wary, it is popular among many manufacturers to play games with their description by saying "solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides". That actually means the back and sides are not solid rosewood (or whatever wood they mention). The term solid applies only to the top and since they did not say solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides then that means the back and sides are laminated veneers glued together.
It is a very useful information!Thank You!!

Quote:
You are correct that you really want a solid wood top as your must have in your acoustic guitar, but for the price range you are considering based on the guitars you mention, you will not be able to buy a guitar with solid wood sides and back. For that you would need to be looking at Larrivees or non-entry level Taylors or Martins or the like and they will be starting at over $1,000. For a first guitar for a person just starting out, you would be fine with a Seagull with laminated back and sides and solid wood top.
Yes! I know Larrivees, or Taylor, or Martin, but their good guitar is expensive for me. So, I go with seagull or S&P, they are good guitar with good price XD. And yes! Solid top is what I need! I think if I going to play long term, then I have to get at least a solid top guitar.

Quote:
Seagulls are made to consistently high standards so one will be pretty much as good as the next - there will not be much of a situation of some being good and some being not so good which can happen with some other makes of entry level guitars.
Good to know they made good guitar with consistency.

Quote:
Cedar is softer and will get dinged up more easily than the spruce. It will sound better than a spruce topped guitar for the first year, but after that the spruce guitar will catch up and pass the cedar guitar in tone. This is because the spruce will "play in" and develop more resonant internal wood structures. The cedar will be better for playing softly with your fingers, and the spruce will sound better if you play more loudly and use a pick. Either would be fine for a beginner though and it would be personal choice.
Actually, it is what I am struggle for, I dun know which one is better for me. I want to try seagull or S&P collection of cedar top and spruce top guitar to see how they actually sound for me. But, ysd I went to the only store which represents Seagull and S&P, they do not have any inventory of Seagull or S&P. They said they will have them after the Easter holiday. I guess I cannot decide which one kind of top I want if I cannot try them in person.

Quote:
As for the size of the guitar, acoustics are made in different sizes and with slightly different shapes. It is a matter of personal choice and you would need to try holding acoustics of different overall sizes and with different waist sizes to see which is more comforatable for you to hold for extended periods of time.
Same problem of the store not having any guitar of Seagull and S&P for me to try and feel. So sad.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Here is a Hong Kong store that is a Seagull dealer:

Tom Lee Music Co., Ltd.
11/F Silvercord Tower 1
30 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Hong Kong
Tél: 852-7301098
Fax: 852-73013573
Yes! I know this one. HK is a small place with very few guitar retailer. This one is the only one represents Seagull and S&P. The one you post in here is the largest branch of TomLee. They have other branches in different districts. I went to this one to buy my pervious guitar.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr356 View Post
168cm means that you are about 5 feet 6 inches tall by US measurement. Perhaps you are a bit taller than a typical asian female and that means you will have a wider range of options in choosing your guitar as larger ones may be comfortable for you.
Haha, good to know I have a wider range of choices.

Quote:
The main thing, as pretty much everyone has stated, is to try as many guitars as you can and get a sense of what appeals to you.
I want to try Seagull and S&P so bad. It is just my retailer do not have any inventory at the moment.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
I for one like the more natural looking guitars. The problem with the colored finish (especially a dark blue or black one) is that they never look good unless they've just been polished. After that they show every finger print and smudge.
Me too! I just dun like the guitar with heavy colour finish. It is for three reasons. First, it is, like you said, they easily show finger print and smudge. Second, good tonewood do not need to be heavily painted and coloured. Only less-than-good wood needs this to cover for the flaws. At least it is what I heard. Third, I feel fresh when I see the natural colour of the guitar. It makes me happy. Therefore, Natural elements from Seagull and S&P really makes me want to buy it. Well, the lakewood guitar from Germany is fresh as well, but it is way more expensive and I cannot afford any of them.

Quote:
I know, the retailer also has Yamaha. Their design is comfortable for the asian hands. The neck is thinner and the nut width is narrower. But I am going to learn fingerstyle, so I cross out Yamaha.And I am not a fan of the look of Yamaha. (Superficial me again.) And Our retailer does not represents Alvarez, it would be very difficult, near impossible to buy them in HK.

Quote:
"palm and finger together" is about 6.9 inches (not sure what you mean by that measurement- are you talking about when you put your palms together and measure from the heel of your hand to the tips of your fingers?)..
Sorry for the bad english. I mean from the heel of your hand to the tips of your fingers. I just dun know how to say it. Thank you for helping me out with this.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Tarts View Post
I agree about the weird seagull headstocks. It tapers into a weird spearhead kind of thing.
I agree that the headstock is kinda wired but I think I can live with that. Haha.

Quote:
If I were in your position though, I'd be on the lookout for a good Taylor 110 or 114. A 214 or 210 come up at nice prices too if you're lucky. I started on a Taylor 110 and played it every day until I sold it to buy a Martin guitar. Never regretted owning that Taylor and would be happy to own a Taylor again one day.
I really need a solid top guitar and it would be too expensive for me to buy a solid top guitar from Taylor. I know they make good guitar but it is just not for me at the moment. I think it is great that you love your Taylor, they are really good.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

I have owned both a Seagull with a cedar top (laminate cherry back & sides) and an S&P with a spruce top (solid EI rosewood back, laminate EI rosewood sides). I liked both; but although the S&P was the more expensive instrument I still preferred the Seagull. Something about the cedar top combined with the cherry back and sides that Godin uses sounds especially good to my ear. I think it would be worth waiting until you can play both before you make a decision you'll likely have to live with for a while. Good to have choices in this matter.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM

Smile

Get the Seagull Folk.

You are my height, this guitar has all the elements that you seek.

Simple and elegant looking. Cutaway. Affordable. Wider nut makes it an excellent choice for finger style.

A solid Cedar top will be warmer or darker sounding but maybe a tad more responsive to light touch.

A solid Spruce top will give you more sparkle in the trebles and upper midrange. It will also have more "headroom" - meaning it can be played more vigorously without distortion. Probably not an issue for a finger stylist.

You are actually on the right track mostly. A Jumbo wouldn't be comfortable for me and is probably the wrong tool for the style you prefer anyway.

Good luck. I honestly don't think you could go wrong w/an S&P or Seagull. I prefer the neck and nut width of the Seagull.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I have owned both a Seagull with a cedar top (laminate cherry back & sides) and an S&P with a spruce top (solid EI rosewood back, laminate EI rosewood sides). I liked both; but although the S&P was the more expensive instrument I still preferred the Seagull. Something about the cedar top combined with the cherry back and sides that Godin uses sounds especially good to my ear. I think it would be worth waiting until you can play both before you make a decision you'll likely have to live with for a while. Good to have choices in this matter.
I have played some other models of Seagull and S&P, actually, only three are available in my city! They are: Seagull Maritime SWS High-Gloss, S&P Woodland Pro Mini-Jumbo Spruce and S&P CW Gloss Top (GT) Vintage Burst Cedar. I think the Seagull I have tried is the best among all. But their price range is different and the comparison is not justified. Wish I can try NE, haha
Old 02-23-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Get the Seagull Folk.

You are my height, this guitar has all the elements that you seek.
I was wondering will folk size guitar sound smaller then mini jumbo? I am afraid it sound too small ><
Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolove View Post
I really need a solid top guitar and it would be too expensive for me to buy a solid top guitar from Taylor. I know they make good guitar but it is just not for me at the moment. I think it is great that you love your Taylor, they are really good.
The Taylor 1 and 2 series (114, 214 etc.) *ARE* solid tops (The back/sides are laminates but the tops are definitely solid.)

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 AM

Default Try Breedlove!

Here is a link to a great beginner guitar. Breedlove makes many lines of guitars, one for every level player and price point. The link is for a cutaway concert body with solid top/3 ply back and sides and is a good combination for warmth and clarity. Retails for around $400.00 US.

Good luck in your pursuit!

http://breedlovemusic.com/guitars/di...ies/concert-ce
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 AM

Seagull Performer PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, natural element, seagull, simon & patrick, takamine