The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Default 1973 Martin D 28 questions?

Hi I recently acquired a 1973 Martin D 28 and had a few questions about its value.

1. All 73 D 28s that I have looked up have a black pick guard but mine has a tortoise pick guard. I didn't know if this meant it was a certain issue or something I was unaware of or it didn't matter?

2. The seller disclosed to me that the neck had been replaced with another d28's in the 80s. How much does this hurt my resell value? The guitar does have standard wear and tear/use for a 40+ guitar.

All help/tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Pickguard probably changed, some of these had a tendency to peel up. Neck replacement probably won't affect value if it was done properly and the workmanship is consistent with factory.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Neck replacement is superb. I would have never known if the seller hadn't told me. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidephase View Post
Hi I recently acquired a 1973 Martin D 28 and had a few questions about its value.

1. All 73 D 28s that I have looked up have a black pick guard but mine has a tortoise pick guard. I didn't know if this meant it was a certain issue or something I was unaware of or it didn't matter?

2. The seller disclosed to me that the neck had been replaced with another d28's in the 80s. How much does this hurt my resell value? The guitar does have standard wear and tear/use for a 40+ guitar.

1. Martin began using black acetate pickguards in 1967 to replace its tortoise pattern nitrate based guards, although some tortoise guards were still occasionally used. In 1977, Martin brought back the tortoise pattern. You can tell if it's original by the fact that until 1984 Martin glued guards directly to the top and then spray lacquered over them, which will look a bit different from peel-and-stick replacement guards.

2. I think it depends on timing. If I was looking and had a selection of '70's D-28's to choose from, I'd probably pass on yours, all else being equal regarding the condition of the neck and whether a reset is required. You just never know what problems might be lurking with that kind of major surgery. On the other hand, with a "new" neck, I wouldn't be concerned about the need for a reset. Regardless, I'd give it a fair market price and then test the waters to see who bites.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Indeed the 70's black pickgaurds were lacquered over, which caused other issues. When the pickguards shrank, they tended to pull the wood with them and create a well-known "high E" crack in these models. A crack that often appears right under the high E string.

So it likely was replaced to deal with that. A top crack that may or may not have been there may have been fixed at the same time. If you look inside with a mirror you should be able to see any evidence of a former crack. If the work was well done, it may not even be evident from the top view.

Lots of Martin's had neck resets, which includes taking off the neck. Replacing one neck with another is not a big deal if it was done professionally and perfectly. I would prefer to have the original bits myself - but it's not a major issue.

If the guitar sounds great, it sounds great - that's what really matters. It's will never be a "collectible" if that matters.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidephase View Post

1. Aftermarket pickguard. Lots of us did that, not liking the black guard.

2. Depending on how well the job was done, if it was the same style neck (hollow tube truss rod) it shouldn't matter done well. These are not vintage guitars where originality it prized. If it was replaced with an older T-bar reinforced neck, that would be a plus in my book. If it was replaced with a later adjustable truss rod neck that would detract from the value, having changed out one of the better features of older Martins.
BTW if it's a '73, it's not 40 years old yet.

A '73 in good playing condition (not needing a neck reset or relief correction) and good cosmetic condition, with the period correct neck (or say an unaltered one) should sell for around $1500, but I've seen them advertised for more and I've seen them sell for less.

Bryan Kimsey, luthier in New Mexico, specializes in making '70s Martin dreadnaughts be all they can be. On his luthery page he has a great section on evaluating a '70s Martin.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/

Good luck with a fine guitar!

Dave

Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM

I think the best way to think about 70's Martins is as a "player's" guitar. They are not highly collectible and never will be, but they are made of really nice quality old wood. They have well-documented issues that are pretty easily dealt with, so it's all about the price you can buy them for and how they sound. I just got a 1970 D-35 for a favorable price and it sounds fantastic. However, yesterday I played a D-28 from the same year at my local GC that they had priced at $1700 and it was one of the deadest-sounding 28's I've ever played - I wouldn't buy that particular guitar for half that price...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 AM

And yes, Bryan Kimsey is The Man when it comes to perfecting 70's Martins. My D-35 will be going to his place for a spa treatment soon...
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Sweet thanks so much for all your help. Above and beyond thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d 28, d-28, martin