The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2012, 12:59 AM

I have never understood the hoopla regarding the mini, either.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 AM

Sorry about your experience, I just love my Mini it's a great little guitar. It's comfortable to play, it's loud and mine is not bright. It has one of the nicest necks I have played on an acoustic and with a K&K installed it sounds great when amplified.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:00 AM

The GS Mini is a nice guitar and well thought out I think BUT not worth $499 to me. I do think it is a better choice for a travel guitar than the BT or Little Martins but I think the Big Baby Taylor is a better choice.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Shallow and bright, eh? I suspect the one you tried was on the left of the bell curve. I bought mine precisely because it was not shallow and bright, but indeed quite muscular for such a little guitar. I tried two when I bought mine, the first being similar in tone but with a bit less depth. Later that week I played a third at someone's home. His was a bit brighter, but had less output on the bass side. So they most definitely vary.

I would encourage you to try a few more if the opportunity presents itself.

Ahhh, guitars...they are all so different and tone so subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBYork View Post
I'm probably right out of kilter with most of you but I just wanted to say how disappointed I was when I tried out the GS Mini on Tuesday at a local guitar store, Banks/Music Room in York.

Having read a lot of positives on the Forum about this guitar, I thought I'd check it out to see if it was worth investing £440 in.

There it was hung on the wall next to a Baby and several very nice full size models, including a 514ce which really caught my eye!

So whilst my good lady was touring the sales, I spent 45 minutes getting to know the guitar, expecting quite good things.

We have a Big Baby at home and until recently I had a Baby which I brought in the USA. I thought that these would be good reference points for the GS.

On the positive it looked nice and felt comfortable to hold and play, but that is where the disappointment began, I really didn't like the tone, I found it very shallow and overly bright. I would have been happy spending £200 but didn't think that it warranted a price of over £400.

Anyone else been disappointed with it or is it just me?

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do

You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you
Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 AM

I guess I just got lucky or have a tin ear. I love mine.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 AM

Me too. I went looking for a small-bodied guitar because my achy old shoulders couldn't handle dreads an more.
I can't afford a whole pile of instruments, so I need a "one for everything" guitar.
After examining a number of guitars in my price range, I walked into the "expensive" room at GC and saw the Mini.
After playing it for a bit, both fingerstyle and with a pick...I was pretty much sold.
I went home an read/watched a number of reviews, including one from a trusted local luthier...All positive.
I've had this one since early Summer, and I'm happy as a clam.
Fingerstyle folk and blues sound clear and strong, and when I dig in with a flatpick for country/bluegrass, it has plenty of muscle.
I play solo most of the time, and don't need to cut through a group.
Works very well for my idiosyncratic needs.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I guess I just got lucky or have a tin ear. I love mine.
+1. Very happy with my mini.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Pic Man View Post
Just bought one, They are great for recording! Great tone, you just have to place the microphone a little bit closer, but if you do that, its very hard to tell the difference between a mini and full size Taylor. Check out Best Buy they are Blowing them out at $374 each.(This includes the case too) I just got one, but made my local music store match Best Buy's price. This price made me want one.
Do you have a link for this? Their website still lists them at $499.00 straight up.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 AM

"Anyone else been disappointed with it or is it just me?"

Put me in the disappointed crowd as well GB. I've played 3 of them, all WAY too bright for my taste. I'll take my Martin LXM over the GS Mini any day. Plus, the size of the LXM is specifically built to fit in the overhead compartment of an airliner. I've tried it and it is a perfect fit.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM

I like mine a lot, as does everyone else who hears and plays it. Mine has plenty of range and volume.

My full-sized gits have been getting little attention since I got my Mini a few months ago.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Put a cedar top on one, and it might just do the model a favor. As is, I don't know what purpose it serves...will this model phase out the Baby, Big Baby, or 100 or 200 series? There's already so much toward the bottom of their product lines...the GS Mini doesn't do anything remarkably better than the aforementioned lines...so what's its angle?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Snake Joe View Post
Put a cedar top on one, and it might just do the model a favor. As is, I don't know what purpose it serves...will this model phase out the Baby, Big Baby, or 100 or 200 series? There's already so much toward the bottom of their product lines...the GS Mini doesn't do anything remarkably better than the aforementioned lines...so what's its angle?
People have less and less money to spend. I bet it's easier to find 6 people that have $500 than 1 that has $2000. The more low end offerings they have, the more units they can sell.

Ed
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Snake Joe View Post
Actually I think it's noticeably better sounding than the Baby. I do think that spending a little more and buying an all wood guitar is a better choice though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 PM

I just bought my second mini. Sold the first one, regretting it, so righting the situation. I need a knock around guitar and the GS mini fits the bill.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
People have less and less money to spend. I bet it's easier to find 6 people that have $500 than 1 that has $2000. The more low end offerings they have, the more units they can sell.

Ed

I think that's right. And I'd guess too that the Mini nicely serves several large demographics of players who prefer small-body guitars but still wish for a quality sound: older persons with ergonomic considerations, persons with small hands including some women and children, persons who play primarily on their couch. Factor in buyers looking for a travel guitar and buyers who want to keep a less expensive guitar to toss around the house, office, car, etc., and you've got a sizable market. Start-up players can justify the financial reach for a nice instrument. Accomplished players with nicer guitars can justify the expense for an expendable model.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion