The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Bradley,
Unless money, space, or marriage are an issue, keep both. I think two guitars is a good number.

When I was younger and broker, I had one acoustic. Was gigging weekly. And I put off all repairs until I needed major renovation. Never again.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Thank you all! Keep them coming.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 AM

I don't like the idea of one guitar. I would keep both and I would play the Froggy daily.

I get your hesitation to take the Froggy out, and having both eliminates the need to take your Froggy to dangerous locations. But it is a guitar and you obviously love it. Why not play it? I have gone through the same thought process with my Lowden (not the selling part) and finally decided that it deserves to be heard and I will not actually die when it finally gets that first ding.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-19-2018, 04:39 AM

I will refrain from offering any advice Bradley.

What I will say is that I like the way everyone here is now referring to the Martin D18-V as “the beater”.
Sure, take that old thing camping ....

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-19-2018 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Edited referenced comment
Old 06-19-2018, 05:34 AM

Foe some time after I bought my MCollum, I held on to my #1 Goodall. I kept it until I was certain the McCollum was the best guitar I had ever played.

I passed the Goodall on to another lucky owner.

At my age and after 40 years of searching for the "one", I don't ever want to play anything else. I want that tone I've searched for, every time I play a guitar.

I'd move the one that stays in the case and let some other lucky owner see if that's the "one" for them.

There's nothing magical about the Froggy, I've played nice ones and mediocre ones. If I liked a Martin better than that one, I'd say it needs to go.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 AM

In reality, some might say an Esteban is above my skill level.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
This question seems to contradict your statement, "when playing, I tend to go for the Martin."

Shouldn't you be asking if you should sell the Froggy? Especially if you are afraid of using it. You like having the Froggy but not using it. I find this an all too common but understandable sentiment. And please desist with the I'm not worthy world view. There is not and has never been a criteria for owning a fine guitar except the desire and money to own one.

It seems to me you are living in the best of both worlds, a car in the garage for those nice spring days, and a daily driver. So be happy.
my thoughts exactly. Play the guitar that inspires you to play - regardless of whether it is the "better guitar" or not. If the Froggy does not inspire you, maybe let go the Froggy and find another that truly inspires you and be left with two truly inspiring (but different) guitars. That is where I have landed with my own Martin and Taylor.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
When playing, I tend to go for the Martin, while the Froggy gets neglected.
My thoughts are to let go of the Martin and have only one guitar.

I will admit that the Froggy is way above my skill level, but it plays so sweetly and sounds amazing to my ears.
Would you have a Froggy as an only guitar and play it in all situations that you would play a less costly guitar?
Why do you tend to play the Martin and neglect the Foggy?

Me? I tend to enjoy variety ... Because they all sound different and or have different body shapes. But it's nice to have a few to choose from.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 AM

Whether you only "need" one guitar depends on your style and playing environments. If I never left the house and only played acoustic fingerstyle, then one expensive acoustic might be enough. But I haven't had just one guitar since I was a kid just starting out. For a long time I did have only 2, a semi-hollow electric and an acoustic. I would use the acoustic for casual practice or travel, when I didn't want to bother with an amp. I have 2 flat-top acoustics right now, and that's a good number for me.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I don't like the idea of only one guitar. Lots of reasons for two.
I will also ask why you would sell the Martin if it is your go to guitar?

Find something to replace the Froggy and stay a two guitar guy.
One Mahogany and perhaps one an OM Rosewood?
I used to think 'one guitar only' but now I'm in agreement, two is optimal... at least in my case.

I have a good guitar that I'm considering to be my 'main' instrument. The 'backup' is a cheaper variant on the same theme. this allows:

1. If trying out a new tuning, the other can remain in my 'standard'.
2. If attempting an upgrade/alteration, the other is still available to play.
3. The backup is available for travel or be a 'beater'.

Like L20A said, lots of reasons for two.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:34 AM

It really depends to me where you play out. It sounds like you are not comfortable tp take the froggy bottom to the places where you play out of the home but you are fine with bringing the martin as it is your beater. Thats fine and if thats the case, you should keep both guitars.

Also its perfectly fine to pwn a guitar way better than you are. Thats my criterion for owning the guitar because what is the point of owning a guitar thats only as good as i am. Playing a guitar that has a lot more to explore and grow into is perfect because i do not have to upgrade to a better guitar when i get better.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 AM

The sell the guitar you play the most seems counter intuitive at best.

Just intentionally spend more time with the Froggy. If after doing that for some time you still keep going to the Martin, you will have answered your own question about which guitar to keep.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
You say "the Froggy is way above your skill level." I say perfect. That's right where you want to be.

A guitar described that way will always take you places that a lesser guitar won't. It's very simple to me, if one plays guitar then they deserve the very best guitar one can afford.

It's a pleasure to reach for a quality guitar, every time you play.
This is the advice I give to every “what should I buy” question.
Get a guitar that gives you room to grow.

If you feel like you absolutely MUST have only one guitar, sell the Martin and don’t look back.
It is way more replaceable if you change your mind.

Personally, I’ve never owned a guitar that is so far “out of my skill set” that I don’t want to play it.
I own 9 guitars, as of yesterday.
In my case, the case queen is a $150 Alvarez that I bought 22 years ago.
It was my constant musical partner for a very long time.
It is cased because my father gave me the money to buy it. And he is no longer with us. It gets played, but it is babied.

The guitar that gets dragged everywhere I can make an excuse to take it, is my most expensive guitar. But it’s made of Carbon Fiber, and thus, nearly impervious to the elements.

I don’t own a super high end guitar, because I’d be gutted if something happened to it.
I’m working to get past this, as I’m realizing that the time behind me is much greater than the time ahead. And I’m not taking any of them with me when I go.

My 2 cents. Hope it makes sense.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM

People are guessing and trying to read something into this - the aspect of the situation you haven't clarified - if you actually like the Froggy so much, why is it that you reach for the Martin when you go to play? Why is the Froggy getting being neglected? Are you afraid of potential damage and want to keep it closer to mint, or is it something else entirely? The reason for that might be the source of your dilemma. And perhaps the solution, as well.

... JT
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It never hurts to have a "beater". You never know when you'll be asked to play at a barbeque or campfire or in conditions that might be unknown or unexpected. You gonna take your Froggy?
After I sold my 00-28 I had to make a new Bourgeois my beater. Glad I still have a Baby Taylor for when the grandkids come to play. They like to strum with whatever they happen to have in their sticky little hands. Then they look at me with a big grin and I can smile back approvingly!

Nothing wrong with saving the Froggy for special occasions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion