The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

The Emerald X7 is everything the Mini should be. I've had 3 Mini's so I'm not just talking.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 06-16-2018, 08:51 AM

I hadn't heard of Emerald guitars before this which inspired me to watch a YouTube video. Nice tones.
I'm not keen on the style but looks nicely built. It's yours carbon fibre?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
The Emerald X7 is everything the Mini should be. I've had 3 Mini's so I'm not just talking.
Not really fair to compare a $1700 guitar to one that’s in the $500-$800 range. Something in that price range would defeat the purpose of the GS Mini.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Maybe the Mini has improved --------- in the 7 years since this thread started.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBYork View Post

We have a Big Baby at home and until recently I had a Baby which I brought in the USA. I thought that these would be good reference points for the GS.
Are you referring to the Baby Taylor? If so, then something is grossly off. I discovered the GS Mini while I was considering buying a Baby Taylor a few years ago, when travel guitar options were much more limited. The GS Mini had just come out, and I was not aware of its existence. The rep in the guitar store recommended I try it for comparison, and once I did, getting the Baby Taylor was completely out of the question.

At the time (ca. 2012), the Mini was by far the superior travel guitar out there, and I still love it. These days, I probably would give the Martin Dreadnaught Jr. my preference, but purely because I'm a Martin fan boy. I couldn't even say I like the tone better than the Mini's.

For what it is, the Mini is amazing. I've used it in bluegrass jams, and when I dig in, its volume puts some of the dreadnaughts in the circle to shame.

EDIT: Oh jeez. Another zombie thread???? What's up with those lately?? Sorry, didn't realize that.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Are you referring to the Baby Taylor?
No, he said Big Baby, and the Big Baby is a 15/16 size full scale dread that plays and sounds awesome for its $400 price. YMMV.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Maybe the Mini has improved --------- in the 7 years since this thread started.
The OP has been gone from these boards for 6 years!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 AM

I LOVE my GS Mini. Its tone and volume is way better than any other small guitar. And it's so easy to play - easy to sit on the couch and play forever. Does it have the sound of a full size guitar like a Taylor 214 or similar? Of course not. But I can put it in the overhead bin of an airplane, backpack with it, etc. LOVE IT. As always, try before you buy.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Default my thoughts...

I tried the GS mini, (scale length is way way way too short!!)...then tried the Martin Dred Jr. (I liked it better but it still felt like a toy)....now...I bought a used Rainsong Shorty with a K&K already installed....it's perfect...the 12 fret neck makes it amazing....listen TAYLOR!!!...DO A GS MINI WITH A short scale 12 FRET NECK...I'LL TAKE THE FIRST ONE!!!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 PM

I've not ever been able to understand the hype around them, myself. I will say that I played an acoustic/electric one once that sounded good through the amp, but by itself I think the GS Mini doesn't represent a great value, when you consider what else could be found in the price range for a smallish guitar or even just a nice concert body.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Default one person's opinion

I think that GS Mini offers something that its price competitors do not - - - the engineering and construction integrity of the Taylor NT neck. Not visible, not audible, but representing a great deal of value. All the conversations about neck resetting are not involving Taylor products.

Guitars aren't all about tone. How well they're designed and made matters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion