The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM

Now that the creditors have done a $125M bailout and will sell off Gibsons lifestyle brands it will be interesting to see what the future will bring.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Boy View Post
I’ll respond to the comment about Gibson not being as rich or storied as Martin. I started out a big Gibson fan but now I’m pretty deep into Martin. Great history and along with Gibson had a major impact on development of the modern steel string guitar. I’d say Gibson had even more impact on modern music and the instruments used to make it. Orville Gibson completely redesigned mandolins. Loyd Loar took that design and created the F5, the modern gold standard of mandolins. His L5 guitar may be the prototype jazz guitar. Gibson also mastered 5 string banjos, developed some of the best acoustic guitar designs, and THEN made the Les Paul. I’d say they cast a longer shadow on modern music than anyone, including Fender and Martin.

I don’t know what’s in store for them but I hope they remain an American guitar company making quality instruments.

Let’s not forget the 330, 335, SG, Firebird, and les Paul Jr. All iconic models.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 PM

I think you all really overestimate the amount that Gibson Acoustics brings to the business.

Gibson has three main manufacturing streams:
--imports sold under their Epiphone line (made in Qingdao)
--electrics made in Nashville
--acoustics made in Boseman

The volume is all in the Epiphone line. And these are produced in a modern factory built in 2004.

Boseman acoustics are a drop in the bucket. They only make a few hundred guitars a week.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-24-2018, 12:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I think you all really overestimate the amount that Gibson Acoustics brings to the business.

Gibson has three main manufacturing streams:
--imports sold under their Epiphone line (made in Qingdao)
--electrics made in Nashville
--acoustics made in Boseman

The volume is all in the Epiphone line. And these are produced in a modern factory built in 2004.

Boseman acoustics are a drop in the bucket. They only make a few hundred guitars a week.
rfe

Agreed, AZ. It's gotta be a TINY piece of their overall revenue. One per cent? Two?

sm
Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 AM

Scott, I think I speak for everyone here when I say that the perfect choice to buy Gibson is YOU. I mean, you're rolling in the big bucks now with your Charmed Life pick brand, you need to stash some of that cash somewhere productive or Uncle Sam will take too big a chunk of it, so you can solve a lot of problems at once by buying Gibson.

Then you can show your gratitude to the AGF by giving each of us a free guitar.

I'd like a J-185 with koa back and sides, please.

You know, you could even keep Henry Juszkiewicz on the payroll by designating him as "Head of Security," then give him a spiked collar and permission to bite anyone who sets foot in the parking lot (unless they bribe him with a Milk-Bone or a veal cutlet.) By letting him sleep out in the parking lot during the day, you'd keep him from being homeless, and by letting him bite intruders you'd be letting him express his true personality in an artistic, creative way.

It's a win-win solution all the way around!

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: So when will I be getting my J-185?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:24 AM

One of the key problems were not looking at is low cost mid to high quality guitars that are flooding the market from Asia. Plus the fact that its common for most of us to own several guitars -that second point in my mind means that eventually these second hand guitars will be on the market - flooding the market and bringing the prices down - their are several american companies that cannot keep their head above the water and are for sale or worse bankrupt - the sign of the times -who knows what will happen to Gibson , thou my best guess is that it will go for pennies on the dollar and end up over seas - Sorry
Old 06-24-2018, 08:47 AM

Aw, let Henry Junk-o-wicz keep the company.
RIP Gibson!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 AM

probably the likes of Fender.

or more of a modern guitar build like Guild or Gretch would be a better bet

-OP

PS......... or what Wade said!!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Threads like these in a guitar forum I'm sure are as accurate and informative as guitar threads are on wall street investing forums.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Scott, I think I speak for everyone here when I say that the perfect choice to buy Gibson is YOU. I mean, you're rolling in the big bucks now with your Charmed Life pick brand, you need to stash some of that cash somewhere productive or Uncle Sam will take too big a chunk of it, so you can solve a lot of problems at once by buying Gibson.

Then you can show your gratitude to the AGF by giving each of us a free guitar.

I'd like a J-185 with koa back and sides, please.

You know, you could even keep Henry Juszkiewicz on the payroll by designating him as "Head of Security," then give him a spiked collar and permission to bite anyone who sets foot in the parking lot (unless they bribe him with a Milk-Bone or a veal cutlet.) By letting him sleep out in the parking lot during the day, you'd keep him from being homeless, and by letting him bite intruders you'd be letting him express his true personality in an artistic, creative way.

It's a win-win solution all the way around!

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: So when will I be getting my J-185?
Wade, you're an evil person. I make NO money on CLP. And if I did, it would go, first, to a genuine Banner Gibby flat top; and second, my retirement. I don't want to be making picks when I'm ninety. Fly fishing sounds good about now, and forget all you people.

As for Henry, I like your idea, although I was thinking of donating him to UCLA Neuro-Psychiatric Institute where they can final have the perfect subject to explore in depth the disease known as malignant narcissim.

Love Ya, Buddy,

sm
Old 06-24-2018, 05:29 PM

After I told Scott that he should take some of the millions generated by his Charmed Life Picks sideline business and buy Gibson, he replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Wade, you're an evil person. I make NO money on CLP.
Look, Scott, I understand - I know that just last week you bought Catalina Island and a couple more yachts, so I realize that you're a bit cash-poor at the moment. But two things you can do to free up some funds are:

1.) Call the Louvre in Paris and tell them that you've decided that the Mona Lisa doesn't go well with the color of your couch, so you've decided not to buy it, plus you've already reversed the PayPal charges;

and

2.) Contact the US Secretary of the Interior and tell him your attorney has advised you that the Secretary of the Interior's not actually ALLOWED to sell the Grand Canyon to you, and you want your deposit back.

That should give you all the funds you need to buy a flailing guitar company or two.

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Let Gibson die. It will take years to sell the current inventory. The used market will last forever.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Let Gibson die. It will take years to sell the current inventory. The used market will last forever.
I don’t understand this mindset. Why do so many people want to see such an American musical icon die? Just because their guitars may not be your cup of tea, doesn’t mean their aren’t players who really enjoy their products. I’ll never understand the hatred of all things Gibson. Their are guitar companies that make stuff I don’t particularly like, but other people enjoy them. I don’t want to see those companies die.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:37 AM

Russ, I have been playing Gibson guitars since I was 16. I still own that guitar and have had numerous Les Pauls, 335s, SGs, and have a fine Gibson Mandolin. Go to Chicago Musical exchange. The wall is covered with Gibsons. It seems there are as many used as there are new if not more.

If Gibson were to close the doors today, there would not be a shortage for many years.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After I told Scott that he should take some of the millions generated by his Charmed Life Picks sideline business and buy Gibson, he replied:

Look, Scott, I understand - I know that just last week you bought Catalina Island and a couple more yachts, so I realize that you're a bit cash-poor at the moment. But two things you can do to free up some funds are:

1.) Call the Louvre in Paris and tell them that you've decided that the Mona Lisa doesn't go well with the color of your couch, so you've decided not to buy it, plus you've already reversed the PayPal charges;

and

2.) Contact the US Secretary of the Interior and tell him your attorney has advised you that the Secretary of the Interior's not actually ALLOWED to sell the Grand Canyon to you, and you want your deposit back.

That should give you all the funds you need to buy a flailing guitar company or two.

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton Miller
This is all very sound advice. Once the acquisition is complete, Wade, I may need to bring you on as CFO, or maybe even COO.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion