The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

My advice, fwiw. I think most people think buskers are a pan in the butt, homeless beggars. Folks that play guitar might think otherwise, but I think most folks just avoid them.

Why not just come here, rent a car, buy a guitar while you are here and travel around and see the country?

Drop in at open mic nights, or bluegrass jams.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Cmon down to Asheville NC! Plenty of buskers which the tourists love and we have a hostel.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
2004 Tim McKnight "Skeeter"
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 05-22-2018, 05:38 PM

if you really want to experience America: http://bluegrassfestivalguide.com/
Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 PM

No practical advice, other than - DO IT!
This opportunity may never present itself again for you, and if you pull the trigger and go for it, you will wind up with a lifetime of memories.
Good Luck on your life with guitar adventure.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

I haven't waded through all of the posts on this thread but surely the good folks on the AGF can help a brother out here. How about some specific advice for your fair city with some helpful suggestions about local practices, laws, etc.? For example, in my little bitty town (tip of the hat to Blackberry Smoke) to busk one is required to get a 'temporary amusement permit' It involves a one page application completed and filed with the Mayor's office and costs a dollar. I'm off soon to renew mine!
Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a fun adventure.....don't think too much about it or you might talk yourself outa the trip. Read a few travel journeys.... You will be fine. I'm jealous.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
Is the best of the free life behind us now
Are the good times really over for good? Merle Haggard
What song is this from?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 AM

Considering all the potential issues that have been raised. Have you thought about Australia?

Lovely weather and I believe that you can still get a visa that let's do part time work.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I don't know what to suggest regarding the legality of being an immigrant "worker" busker....

On one hand I'd say I agree with the post above saying that buskers are often viewed as a homeless nuisance, and many cops will try to shoo you away.

But on the other hand I'd say it seems pretty unlikely a local patrol cop is going to shake you down, check your passport, and call ICE on you for "working" illegally in the US. That just seems far fetched. IMHO anyway.

However, I did have a thought about a place to live. Here in the US, you can buy an old van or minivan (that's beat up and ugly, but totally useable) for a few thousand dollars. For not a lot of money, you can outfit it as your home. At the end of your stay you could sell the van for close to what you paid...

Here is a great Youtube video series about doing just that. He covers what types of vans, how to arrange it, how to store stuff, hygeine, etc...

It's more than likely down south or anywhere near a border that a cop could ask for ID and greencard if one is 'working'. If you're just sitting on a park bench playing, no case open for dollar bills, probably no hassle, but that's not what the OP wants to do - he wanted to supplement his rather meager savings. Sure, there are places where busking is 'normal', but the OP wants to travel around the country, not just stay in one safe place.
Here in the Northeast, a majority of cities/towns have some kind of rule in place - whether it be a permit, or allowed locations, or 'no amp', etc.

Van idea - - incredibly difficult to buy/lease/register/insure a vehicle in most US states without a legal residence and drivers license in that state - basically one needs a relative to do the 'paperwork' with their permanent residence location. A cheap used vehicle may break down and need costly repairs, but figuring $5000 + $1000 insurance and registration, then gas/tolls/parking/camping, it wouldn't take long to blow through a large chunk of that $26K.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-23-2018, 02:33 PM

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I want to go, the more I play on the streets, the more I'm starting to love it.

I'm meeting so many awesome people. And yes, the homeless beggers going back and forth on their accordeons are seen as bums, but I've met an amazing harpist today, she actually plays concerts and plays on the street all the time. She takes home 80 bucks an hour, she told me She is cute and we are planning a duet on the streets for the next week or so, haha.

Noone sees me as a bum. Just dress up nicely and show the people you are able to play. Good & also bad things will come my way, I'm sure, but I can't live with the thought that I didn't try it atleast.

I'm still not sure if it's going to be the US, but it's a sure thing that I will be traveling whilst playing guitar. It's awesome to see people smile because of a skill I acquired because of yearss of practise, practise and some more practise. It's an amazing reward.

I think I'm going to make an appointment with the US embassy here in The Hague and just tell them what's up and then I will hear what the possibilities are

I will post updates here when I know more

Thanks for the help everyone!

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Good for you. The Internet is full of people who say things can't be done. Then you do that thing and they still say it can't be done.

I can't wait for you to post pictures of your adventure and for the nay-sayers to still claim that it isn't possible, despite that fact that you're actually doing it.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
Good for you. The Internet is full of people who say things can't be done. Then you do that thing and they still say it can't be done.

I can't wait for you to post pictures of your adventure and for the nay-sayers to still claim that it isn't possible, despite that fact that you're actually doing it.

Did people say it couldn't be done or just that there would be difficulties encountered in doing it?

The internet is full of people who say the internet is full of people. Apparently you and I are among them.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
The more I'm thinking about it, the more I want to go, the more I play on the streets, the more I'm starting to love it.

I will post updates here when I know more

Thanks for the help everyone!
You may very possibly already be aware of this site, but just in case:

http://www.performers.net/forums/

A discussion forum for buskers, re experiences, permits, good places & bad, etc.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 PM

Sure are a lot of people here trying to rain on your parade! It's sounds like a grand adventure to me and adventures involve risk, even danger. Do it anyway!

Take the good advice and leave the rest. Here's my two cents:

1. Stay in the Northeast until bad weather drives you south. Loads of college towns and conservatories in a relatively small area. Maybe swing west to the Chicago area, then in November take a night train down to New Orleans, then fly Southwest over to Austin (flying is often cheaper here than buses). There's no point in trying to cover the whole country. If you must see some of the South, go to Charlottesville, VA: Asheville NC; Nashville (of course) and maybe Memphis. Go up the west coast in spring, Colorado in summer. If you find a place you really like, stay there indefinitely. Better to get to know a dozen great places than to see all 50 states and spend all your time on the road.

2. Don't get fixated on busking. Some places will be fine, others won't be worth the effort. Focus on making music and making friends. Open mics, music festivals, jam sessions - find these and you will have a great time. Here in Austin you can find these sort of things virtually every day, without having to set foot on the street. (You need a license from the city to busk legally.)

Well, that's enough for now. If you plan to come to Austin (and you should), contact me and I can give you some specific advice. We do have a hostel here, by the way, but it's very popular and you may need to reserve a spot well in advance.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM

If you try this, start in NYC and make your way south as weather gets colder. Skip Philadelphia, it is very unfriendly. The sorry state of public transportation in the US shocks most Europeans, don’t try to take AMTRAK outside the Northeast Corridor. A Greyhound Bus Pass may get you down to Key West. God forgive me for saying this but you wil have a much better time of this if you are Caucasian. If you aren’t I would not attempt it.
Used to be in the US you were innocent until proven guilty but that is gone. I only bring this up because it may be germane to the discussion, not to open a can of worms. I am very very Scandinavian looking so I am not bellyaching about my own treatment, it’s just an observation.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion