The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I’ll try. Here is a link to the Photobucket page, don’t have the photo-sharing facility any more...

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...erh/mybass.jpg
That's much like a super-sized version of the guitar. MC series guitars have pretty slim necks and neck through construction. The bass looks like neck through too.

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Default Fender Japan? What's That About?

Yes it is neck through and with active electronics (MC940). It was the last model before they seriously changed the body shape, made it thinner etc (MC2940 and MC2924). The electronics sit in the pickups and the knobs are “only” volume and tone for each pickup.

The neck is superb, and a real joy to play. It is on the heavy side but I don’t play so much bass just now and when I do I use my made in Japan Geddy Lee Jazz (just to get back on topic...!).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM

I found this info that sums up one reader's view - no idea if it's true:
Older Jap Fenders are amazing. Between 1985 and 1990, Fender cocked up the hierachy system, and the Japanese were making better quality guitars than the Yanks. Better wood, better hardware, better electronics.

If you can pick up a Japanese fender made between those dates (serial numbers between E5 and E9) you've got a great guitar on your hands.

/owns '86 MIJ Strat

Nowdays, Japanese fenders are decent, better quality than the Mexican ones, a little worse than the USA series. But, there are exceptions to the rule, always play alot of guitars before you buy and take the best one.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post

Nowdays, Japanese fenders are decent, better quality than the Mexican ones, a little worse than the USA series. ...
My guess is they are also building to price points, roughly in that order.

You can get great guitars from lots of countries, but you get what you pay for - or pay for what you get - whatever the country of origin.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I found this info that sums up one reader's view - no idea if it's true:
Older Jap Fenders are amazing. Between 1985 and 1990, Fender cocked up the hierachy system, and the Japanese were making better quality guitars than the Yanks. Better wood, better hardware, better electronics.

If you can pick up a Japanese fender made between those dates (serial numbers between E5 and E9) you've got a great guitar on your hands.

/owns '86 MIJ Strat

Nowdays, Japanese fenders are decent, better quality than the Mexican ones, a little worse than the USA series. But, there are exceptions to the rule, always play alot of guitars before you buy and take the best one.
I would agree. Currently owning an 87 Japanese Strat “E7”, and having played numerous “current” Japanese reissues, I’d confidently state that imho the “older” 80’s Japanese made are superior to today’s Japanese Strats.

I’d read that in the 80’s both Fender and Squier were made side by side in the same plant. In fact, some have said they’re exactly the same guitars. 2 identical guitars, made in the same factory, with one line getting a Fender decal and the other getting a Squier Decal.

I’ve played both and that seems to hold some truth as I saw/felt/heard no perceivable difference between the two. Obviously the Fender label carries a bit more monetary value as it says Fender, and not Squier.

Some of today’s Mexican made special models like the Classic Player Baja Tele, Classic Player 50’s and 60’s Strat series, as well as the Classic Player Jaguar and Jazz master are very nicely made guitars as well. 80’s era Japanese quality...not quite. But heads and shoulders above standard MIM Strats and Teles.

I’ve owned and played numerous guitars over the years. From high end acoustics and electrics to “cheaper” models.

I’ve often been surprised by some very playable and enjoyable “lower end” guitars, and I’ve been outright disappointed by some “higher end” guitars as well.

I certainly believe there are great guitars in all price ranges with some being better than others. Some that seem to consistenly stand out are Lemon Grove Taylor’s, Pre-War Martins, early Nippon Gakki Red and Green labeled Yamaha’s, Early Les Paul’s, 80’s Japanese Fenders or Ibanez, todays “Classic Player” series from Fender, just to name a few.

Anymore, to me anyway, it seems to be less about country of origin and more specific to the quality of each individual piece.

While tone, feel, comfort... is all so speculative, there are reasons some of the guitars & eras above were listed.

And as stated by our friend above, there are always exceptions to the rule.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 04-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Anymore, to me anyway, it seems to be less about country of origin and more specific to the quality of each individual piece.
Thanks for the info. It seems the color scheme I like is currently offered only on the Japanese products.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
You really can’t go wrong with a MIJ guitar. Those 80’s MIJ Fenders are collector items for some.
I have one and it’s my workhorse. I prefer it over my 96 Clapton Strat.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars