The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Hamer Electrics? vs. _____ ? plz advise

Opinion on Hamer electrics? Vs. ______ ?

I had a Hamer (echotone, I believe) – it would have been the one with the f-holes, modeled after a Gibson ES-335 etc. It would have been an import… and yet, I remember this guitar absolutely playing *phenomenally*. It was a gift from my mother and should have never been sold, but alas.
Now I’m in the market for an electric again. I play mostly blues and rock and I’m mostly an acoustic player, but I just saw a video from Justinguitar where he uses a looper pedal to create these different layered ‘soundscapes’ and I know that’s something I could get lost in and it’s exactly what I’ve been putting off, so..
I’m looking for an electric under about $1k. I can stretch that a little bit, would prefer not to because I need an amp and the looper pedal(s). So I was looking at Hamer’s “The Archtop” and a couple others because of my great experience with one. Also on my list is an MIM Strat, a used Special Strat (American), and PRS SE Custom 24.
Can someone give me some feedback (no pun intended) on what would be a great guitar for under 1k, for the purpose of being a versatile guitar from going clean to distortion, maybe some reverb, some bluesy tones, some rock.. and mainly for the purpose of getting great tone while creating said ‘soundscapes’ and practicing soloing over my own rhythms and what-not?

Thanks!
All input greatly appreciated
SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 04-03-2018, 10:41 AM

wanted in particular to get some opinions on Hamer guitars but would also be interested in any feedback or recommendations on your favorite guitars under, say, $1200-1300, as well as recommendations on amps.

My first electric as a kid was a candy apple red American Standard Strat, so I'm leaning that direction, except buying new it's a bit out of my price range. SO idk whether to settle for used, get a new MIM or Special, or go a diff, direction altogether!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 04-04-2018, 07:54 AM

Check out the Guild Starfire line.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM

used american standard sounds like it would work well for you. but, it has single coil pickups, mostly, whereas the hamer would most likely have humbuckers. you may have to make your decision on the pickups you want.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Opinion on Hamer electrics? Vs. ______ ?

I had a Hamer (echotone, I believe) – it would have been the one with the f-holes, modeled after a Gibson ES-335 etc. It would have been an import… and yet, I remember this guitar absolutely playing *phenomenally*. It was a gift from my mother and should have never been sold, but alas.
Now I’m in the market for an electric again. I play mostly blues and rock and I’m mostly an acoustic player, but I just saw a video from Justinguitar where he uses a looper pedal to create these different layered ‘soundscapes’ and I know that’s something I could get lost in and it’s exactly what I’ve been putting off, so..
I’m looking for an electric under about $1k. I can stretch that a little bit, would prefer not to because I need an amp and the looper pedal(s). So I was looking at Hamer’s “The Archtop” and a couple others because of my great experience with one. Also on my list is an MIM Strat, a used Special Strat (American), and PRS SE Custom 24.
Can someone give me some feedback (no pun intended) on what would be a great guitar for under 1k, for the purpose of being a versatile guitar from going clean to distortion, maybe some reverb, some bluesy tones, some rock.. and mainly for the purpose of getting great tone while creating said ‘soundscapes’ and practicing soloing over my own rhythms and what-not?

Thanks!
All input greatly appreciated
SC
I really the Washburn Parrallaxe series of guitars. They are very versatile I have the PXL20EWH Model. It has active pickups on it and I know some people don't like that but for me it works really well. This is me playing below in the video!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars