The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Default New Marshall DSL and Origin amps at NAMM

Marshall has introduced another reissue of the DSL amps, including 1 watt and 20 watt. I'm interested in both of them. The boys at Anderton's (UK) posted a great review of the amps on YouTube.

The 20 watt amp uses a pair of EL34s (not EL84). They have less voltage to keep it at 20 watts. That has me curious as to how it will feel and sound. A pair of EL34s usually takes you into 40 and 50w territory.

They've also issued the new Origin series. I have a Vintage Modern amp and I'm wondering if they sound similar to that.

If any of you see them in the stores and try them out let me know.

DSL: https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/dsl
Origin: https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/origin
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Marshall has introduced another reissue of the DSL amps...The 20 watt amp uses a pair of EL34s (not EL84). They have less voltage to keep it at 20 watts. That has me curious as to how it will feel and sound. A pair of EL34s usually takes you into 40 and 50w territory...
Sight unseen/unplayed, I'm thinking one of two possibilities:
  • Running big-bottle tubes below their normal rating can give you a big, clean tone with loads of headroom and dynamic range - most of the pre-SVT era Ampegs followed this line of thought - and when filtered through the Marshall sensibility that equates to 100W Super Lead girth and body at reasonable power levels;
  • They've designed a factory "brown" amp in a combo package - crunchy rhythm, classic Marshall wail (again at reasonable levels) when you kick it into OD, but never really cleans up once you take it above a whisper;
These look promising - I never had a "British" amp in my stable, and the price is right; as a guitar-cable-amp/"big-clean" tone guy I'm hoping for the former - I've had the pleasure of playing through a 200W Major, and I'd love to add something with that kind of depth and impact (without the massive volume) to my arsenal - but marketing considerations tell me we're probably looking at the latter...
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Sight unseen/unplayed, I'm thinking one of two possibilities:
  • Running big-bottle tubes below their normal rating can give you a big, clean tone with loads of headroom and dynamic range - most of the pre-SVT era Ampegs followed this line of thought - and when filtered through the Marshall sensibility that equates to 100W Super Lead girth and body at reasonable power levels;
  • They've designed a factory "brown" amp in a combo package - crunchy rhythm, classic Marshall wail (again at reasonable levels) when you kick it into OD, but never really cleans up once you take it above a whisper;
These look promising - I never had a "British" amp in my stable, and the price is right; as a guitar-cable-amp/"big-clean" tone guy I'm hoping for the former - I've had the pleasure of playing through a 200W Major, and I'd love to add something with that kind of depth and impact (without the massive volume) to my arsenal - but marketing considerations tell me we're probably looking at the latter...
Thanks Steve. The sparse reviews I've read state that the power scaling on the new DSL series doesn't alter the tone like going from pentode/triode on past models. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 PM

I would have guessed running the power valves below their normal voltages would mean the amp will break up sooner and be less suitable for loud and clean.

I've bought a Fender Champ 5F1 (tweed) kit and will be installing a VVR module to be able lower the voltage to the valves from around 300V+ down to around 30 volts. I know the result of this is more distortion and compression at lower volumes without a massive change in tone.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM

I've been reading so many great reviews of the new DSL series, Origin too. Seems like these will be big sellers for Marshall. They're made in Vietnam so they're produced at a nice price point too.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Got myself the last DSL1CR that the local store had. I can turn it up pretty high in the apartment - when switched to the Low Power (0.1W) mode. Both the clean and dirty sides need to be turned up a bit to sound good to me.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Got myself the last DSL1CR that the local store had. I can turn it up pretty high in the apartment - when switched to the Low Power (0.1W) mode. Both the clean and dirty sides need to be turned up a bit to sound good to me.
Congrats on the 1 watter. Were you able to try the 20 or 40 watter at the store?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:46 AM

I didn't pay attention to the bigger amps at all this time. Went specifically looking for something small.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I didn't pay attention to the bigger amps at all this time. Went specifically looking for something small.
Is it a keeper? Do you use it mostly on clean or gain?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Is it a keeper? Do you use it mostly on clean or gain?
I haven't played through it all that much yet, but I like it so far.

On the clean side I like to turn it up. Then it gets richer but stays on the clean side unless I really dig in.
On the dirt side, there's "enough" gain available. I've been setting it near noon. Playing veeeery softly, I can keep it almost clean, and get a good growl, scream or roar playing "normally".
The reverb is quite usable. It does not drown me in reverb - but adds a little ambience.

edit:
Just played it again using my new old Strat. At least for now, I just play to amuse myself. Had great fun playing through the gainy channel, and holding it down by picking gently.

Last edited by perttime; 03-29-2018 at 10:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars