The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 AM

Default Sergei de Jonge - alternative back and side woods?

Has anybody played a Sergei de Jonge in whatever body shape that has more alternative back and sides woods? Such as Padouk, Black Limba, Pau ferro, Zebrawood, Ovankol?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 AM

might want to post this over in the general discussion section as well as not everybody checks in here in the custom build side of things -
(there have been several De Jonges come and go in the classifieds over time)

just a suggestion
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM

The first use of padauk for guitar backs and sides I'd played was one by Sergei back in the early 1980's. (I've since made several instruments with padauk, and am very happy with the results.) About 2 years ago I played on of his made with spruce top, back, sides and neck.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
might want to post this over in the general discussion section as well as not everybody checks in here in the custom build side of things -

just a suggestion
Thanks. Posted there and replies are saying to post here for more responses. In general I ma very surprised to see so little mentioned about Sergei de Jonge guitars here, given that the man himself is almost a living legend in the luthiers world.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post

just a suggestion
Funny I told him in the general to post here. :-)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
Thanks. Posted there and replies are saying to post here for more responses. In general I ma very surprised to see so little mentioned about Sergei de Jonge guitars here, given that the man himself is almost a living legend in the luthiers world.
I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter here about Sergei's guitars as well ... I consider him one of the best luthiers of my generation anywhere in the world!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter here about Sergei's guitars as well ... I consider him one of the best luthiers of my generation anywhere in the world!
Agree. I'll add that his daughter, Joshia makes one of the best classical guitars on the planet. I owned one for a few years and felt it was the equal of any others I played at any price point. What a talented family.

Cincy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop