The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Default Urgent! Preamp/tuner problem

Hi guys,
I'm borrowing a Yamaha APX500 guitar from a friend for a gig I have in two days. I put in a fresh 9V battery.
The issue: The only way to get signal out of the guitar is to turn the tuner on. When the tuner automatically shuts off after 60 seconds, the signal stops again. What can I do to keep signal going when its plugged in without having to use the tuner? This is fairly urgent so please answer ASAP!
Thanks so much guys,
Danny
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if you're working with the latest version of the APX500 but the manual online shows the preamp takes 2 AA batteries. There's no chance you used the wrong type of battery is there? The pic in the manual makes it look like you could actually put a 9V in there. (I realize this is a silly question but I got nothing else.)

Tim
Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 PM

I'm using the first version. I thought that one used a 9V.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:21 AM

Most guitars with battery powered electronics automatically turn on when you plug a cable into the jack socket. If you don't plug it in, the tuner will work, but will auto power off.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:21 AM

it sounds like possibly the switch in the plug is bad. It is designed to be off unless a cord is plugged in or the tuner is on.
I used to have an qpx500 years ago, and as I recall, I had to get a new cord because the one I had wasn't long enough to trip the switch, try some different cords (try a 1/4"trs[strereo]cord)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:00 AM

Hi,

first things first: Try a different guitar cable - and use a mono-cable!

If that does not solve the problem, get out the preamp (a few screws only) and check if the cable from the pickup to the preamp is really plugged in - not only half.

Good luck!

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys. And sorry I didn't get to reply faster. I tried a different cable and it worked well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
apx500, pickup, tuner, yamaha