The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 AM

Question Can i take your attention please?

Hello ladies and gentleman,

i decided to buy an electric acoustic guitar and couldnt decide which model of which trademark.

im really confiused.

first of all i liked this guitar's sound: Takamine EG320C

ireally need your suggestions about these models:
Ibanez AW15ECE
Ibanez AW40ECE
Ibanez AW85ECE
Ibanez V205SECE-NT

Takamine EG320C
Takamine EG320SC
Takamine EG220C
Takamine EG260C (sunburnst)
Takamine EG440SC

Epiphone AJ-220SCE

i have no chance to try a guitar because of some problems and cant find some models in musicmarkets.

and the last point whats the different between laminate top and solid top?

i know that laminate tops are done in what is called a bookmatch. This is accomplished by resawing a plank and. Opening the resulting 2 halves like a book. This yields a symmetrical pattern along the body centerline. Can anyone tell it to me whats the effect into sound?

and please examine these models. i still cant decide

Thanks.

my top limit €300

last thing:
its better if the pre-amphi lives long xD
Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 AM

Bookmatching has nothing to do with laminate. It is done on solid top guitars. Normally you dont want a laminated top guitar, this doesnt sound good. Laminated sides and/or back might help stop feedback, is more resistant to climate changes, and doesnt affect tone as much. So this is more common in acoustic-electric guitars. Takamine offers all kinds of models, many of which have laminated sides and back.

For 300 bucks get a solid top guitar with good electronics. Personally I like Takamines and would go for the best Tak I could afford. They keep changing model numbers so I cant give any more info about this.

I had an acoustic electric Ibanez many years ago which was ok. No idea how they are today.

Oh and some Taks have "cooltube" electronics which gives a slightly warmer sound, a lot of people like it.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 AM

thanks a lot man !!

ok than i will look for a solid top guitar. but i cant afford solid back and sides with this money. is it ok?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 AM

If you are going to play plugged in a lot .IMO you could go for an all laminate guitar.
A laminate top should sound as good plugged in, as a solid with the type of electronics that come in those less expensive acoustic/electrics.
Some lam topped guitars sound ok cold (unplugged).

If you do not want to have to worry about care and feeding your guitar and are going to play amplified , get a all lam.

Last edited by dovetail; 09-22-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 AM

oh to further answer your ? IMO for the money you have to spend it is doubtful you will find a great sounding acoustic ,one which will sound great unplugged that is .
So IMO even if you found a new all solid at that price point it would not sound any better than a lam.
The only way you can tell for sure is to try out many of them.
So if you order sight unseen , get it from a place that has a return policy.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM

I have not personally played one, but of the models you listed. I simply look at the Taks, as I prefer them over Ibanez. I then pick the ones with a "S" in the model name, as it offers a solid top, then look for the dreadnought shape. I prefer the EG320SC simply by specs alone. I would rather play all of them first, but since that is not possible, that would be my choice.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 AM

Is it possible to find a GAD series Guild in your country? They are all solid wood and surprisingly cheap. In the US I found an M120E in the $400 range. All solid mahogany and it has some sort of electronics in it. I didn't care too much for them, I only play acoustic

Also I forgot to post, buying used might be able to get you a much better guitar at the same price one of the guitars new in your price range. Keep that in mind if you don't mind a few blemishes on the guitar.
2011 Guild M120E
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 AM

im thinking to buy EG320SC. if u tried this i need your suggestions.

Guilds are really expensive in my country if i buy it from e-bay or something elsewhere they r adding the tax

so forget that. i dont think to buy used guitar bec i m kinda amateur so cant understand thats good or not

i really need your researching for me

can u?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Cool Finding a high-quality affordable guitar

I would also look at Recording King, Washburn and Oscar Schmidt guitars. They offer several models with your limited budget. Try to find a used model, as you will get a much better value/cost ratio.

I recently found a blemished Recording King ROS-06 (000 12-fret) with electronics for under $300 USD. It has a few minor scuffs on the back, which didn't bother me at all. Essentially, it's a brand new high-quality guitar with a solid Sitka top and mahogany back & sides. I play it every day!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Normally you dont want a laminated top guitar, this doesnt sound good.

There's a few hundred thousand older Yamahas that put the lie to this...
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM

The Takamine has a laminate top. The Epiphone AJ220sce is a very nice guitar at its price - it would be my first choice of everything you listed. They have a big, bold sound and decent electronics.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Lots of good guitars out there for that kind of money. Don't believe for a second that there are not. For 200-300 you can finds a used Epiphone Masterbilt, or a sweet Blue Ridge, Recording King, Alverez, and others. In my own personal opinion, I'd look for a Yamaha. For 200-300 you can get one-hell-of-a-lot-of guitar. No, you're not buying a top end Taylor, Gibson, Martin, etc for that price, and you already know that, but you're still getting a real sweet guitar.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 PM

thank u very much guys. im researching yamahas and the others.

can u post some models please. preferly solid top.

thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 PM

i can't find Blue Ridge, Recording King, Alverez in my country.

i will look for yamahas and epiphone masterbilt

thanks all of u. i decided what should i do.

i will buy a model 1 month after. so u can keep going to write your suggestions please.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
epiphone, ibanez, takamine