The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Did you see the Tesla fire?

Towards the end of the 45-second video in this BBC link it looks like one of those flame thrower weapons is under the car.

This can't be good for Tesla or the reputation of electric cars, though of course there are a zillion examples of gas cars blowing up.

Public perception can be a fickle and irrational thing, especially now that everyone has a video-capable phone and the explosion of social media.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44511200
Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Wow, that is scary..
Old 06-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
...Public perception can be a fickle and irrational thing, especially now that everyone has a video-capable phone and the explosion of social media...
My thoughts exactly, and for many reasons - I'll sit this one out until there are enough hard facts to sort out the ice cream from the crap...
Old 06-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post

Public perception can be a fickle and irrational thing, especially now that everyone has a video-capable phone and the explosion of social media.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44511200
Not to mention the explosion capable video phones --- viva la Samsung

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My thoughts exactly, and for many reasons - I'll sit this one out until there are enough hard facts to sort out the ice cream from the crap...
Car fires occur every day, in every city. This one happens to be on a Tesla. Nothing to see here.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:03 PM

I'm not a particular fan of the Tesla for my own reasons, but statistics show them to burn far less often than the 90 burns of gasoline vehicles per billion miles driven.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Has it been determined what was burning? From the tweet by his wife it appears that it started while it was moving;

''"No accident, out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over,"

I'm a big fan. Since I couldn't afford the car, I bought the stock ar opening with the plan to buy the car when the stock went high enough. Liked owning the stock and it was a wild ride. Sold it with the plan to buy it back when it dropped after the ''drill baby drill'' guys got elected. Instead, it went up another 100 points. You never know!

Anyway, it looks like an acetylene tank it on fire under the car. Could be the battery, but would a battery burn like that?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Has it been determined what was burning? From the tweet by his wife it appears that it started while it was moving;

''"No accident, out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over,"

I'm a big fan. Since I couldn't afford the car, I bought the stock ar opening with the plan to buy the car when the stock went high enough. Liked owning the stock and it was a wild ride. Sold it with the plan to buy it back when it dropped after the ''drill baby drill'' guys got elected. Instead, it went up another 100 points. You never know!

Anyway, it looks like an acetylene tank it on fire under the car. Could be the battery, but would a battery burn like that?

https://youtu.be/np5Kdsyk6-k

If a small 3.7V battery in an e cig can blow up like that, imagine what the battery pack on a Tesla or any other electric vehicle can do.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Wow, seeing these battery fires is why I'm sticking with good old, non-combustible gasoline.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Car fires occur every day, in every city. This one happens to be on a Tesla. Nothing to see here.
Car fires do commonly occur in conventional vehicles that operate on the basis of introducing a flammable gas to a controlled spark. Most cars run on fire that sometimes gets out of control. Don't expect cars with batteries, wires, and magnets to do it so it qualifies under the "man bites dog" rules.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic