The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
No direct to USB on this unit, though. ]
Yes, thanks. That is the main appeal of the unit I posted.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I have my old Tascam 4-track and still use it for working out harmonies and also for recording demo tracks for our website. I record the tracks the Tascam then mix them down to Audacity where I compress and normalize it, or whatever else I want to do. I do need some more tapes though. Anyone got a line on the best place to order them? All I can find in the stores are the 90 min cassettes.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 AM

That Tascam is $400. It's going to take as long to transfer every cassette and CD as the playing time, I imagine, although it might do the CDs at a higher speed.
If you've got a half decent cassette player in your home stereo system, you just need to run the tape out signal to the line in of your computer (assuming you don't have an audio interface) and capture the sound with WIN Media Player or other software (Audacity, which is free, should do it).
Win Media Player will automatically rip CDs to MP3 or other formats.
I just recently ripped over 450 discs to a single 64G thumb drive in 320k MP3 format. Time consuming only because my Subaru player accesses the files alphabetically (not in original album order) so I had to go into each folder (album) and add the track number to the title, using Foobar (free) software.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That Tascam is $400. It's going to take as long to transfer every cassette and CD as the playing time, I imagine, although it might do the CDs at a higher speed.
If you've got a half decent cassette player in your home stereo system, you just need to run the tape out signal to the line in of your computer (assuming you don't have an audio interface) and capture the sound with WIN Media Player or other software (Audacity, which is free, should do it).
I just recently ripped over 450 discs to a single 64G thumb drive in 320k MP3 format. Time consuming only because my Subaru player accesses the files alphabetically (not in original album order) so I had to go into each folder (album) and add the track number to the title, using Foobar (free) software.
This is what I'm trying to avoid - all the computer based stuff. Not worried about time it takes. I want simplicity. I have several high end cassette decks stockpiled, but don't like or want to learn about all the computer software etc that goes along with it.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I use software called "The Godfather" to batch update my MP3s. If the ID3 tag on the MP3 has artist, album, track number, you can have it rename them in pretty much any combination of things that you prefer.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
This is what I'm trying to avoid - all the computer based stuff. Not worried about time it takes. I want simplicity. I have several high end cassette decks stockpiled, but don't like or want to learn about all the computer software etc that goes along with it.
It's not difficult! You're going to have to learn how to use the Tascam, too!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
It's not difficult! You're going to have to learn how to use the Tascam, too!
I'll take the latter any day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic