The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Golf equipment is far better
Healthcare is far worse, it’s death-care for most.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Lawn mowers.
The ability to communicate over long distances. (I know a young lady with a toddler who can Skype with daddy/husband in Afghanistan every day.)
PA systems and Guitar pickups.
Grandchildren - even better than children!

cotten
My lawnmower is relatively new (honda) and it’s not better at all.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Golf equipment is far better
Healthcare is far worse, it’s death-care for most.
I'm unsure what you mean by death-care. . .
Old 06-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
I'm unsure what you mean by death-care. . .
It was a term that became popular about 10-15 years ago and is supposed to refer to the notion of our system being more focused on after the fact cures, than preventative. I am not certain how accurate it really is.
Be that as it may from my personal experience with the actual care aspect itself (and perhaps I am just lucky), but I think health care is far better than it ever was. It is the cost, and how it is administered and paid for, that is arguably more problematic.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-16-2018, 02:32 PM

With arthroscopic surgery, knee and hip replacements, pacemakers, lens replacements for eyes clouded by cataracts, etc. I do not see how anyone can say medical care hasn't improved dramatically. Cost and method aside.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 PM

My neighbors and their 6 year old daughter that is currently cancer free may differ with the concept that healthcare has not changed for the better .
Apparently , some of us have different ideas of what better is . When I was a kid , childhood leukemia was basically a death sentence .
Old 06-17-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
With arthroscopic surgery, knee and hip replacements, pacemakers, lens replacements for eyes clouded by cataracts, etc. I do not see how anyone can say medical care hasn't improved dramatically. Cost and method aside.
America's mortality rate is 40th in the world. That's 40! The AMA's own statistics, state that successful medical encounters are only successful or effective 4/10 encounters. When I went to any kind of school, scoring 40% gets you a failing grade.
Personally, I was hospitalized last year for a medical error causing bleeding. Twice during the stay, a nurse tried to administer blood coagulants instead of transfusion. Health-care?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Florida law now fines people $250.00 for even holding their cell phones while driving. Police have been given the flexibility for making that call. If they see someone looking anywhere but out of their vehicles while operating it they will be pulled over and fined. If they see a sole occupant clearly talking while operating a vehicle, they will pull that person over and fine them. So sayeth one of the local constables. That's a sure way of stoking the police coffers in my area. I don't own a cell phone and, being a fairly logical individual who sees they do have a practical use, I just can't subordinate myself to one.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Florida law now fines people $250.00 for even holding their cell phones while driving. Police have been given the flexibility for making that call. If they see someone looking anywhere but out of their vehicles while operating it they will be pulled over and fined. If they see a sole occupant clearly talking while operating a vehicle, they will pull that person over and fine them. So sayeth one of the local constables.
You might be referring to some incorrect news regarding the FL law:

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...g/77-526262841

Florida DMV website

https://www.dmvflorida.org/florida-t...e-distractions

My vehicle has Bluetooth and it is always sync'd, (something which is an improvement) so I do not need to touch my phone. Most of the time, I let the call roll over to voice mail.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
America's mortality rate is 40th in the world. That's 40!
Actually 92nd according to Nation Master http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/People/Death-rate%2C-crude/Per-1%2C000-people

BUT either way it is a meaningless statistic, simple mortality death rate statistics include all mortality , not just medical or health care related mortality.
For example US has higher auto accident and gun death rates than many many countries which have nothing to do with medical care .

Yes the US has a statistically high death rate from cardiovascular disease compared to may wealthy countries , but that arguably has much more to with our overweight , bad diet , and lack of exercise problems than with the quality health care itself.

And the reality is that the death rate in the US has declined so yes better now

Quote:
The AMA's own statistics, state that successful medical encounters are only successful or effective 4/10 encounters. When I went to any kind of school, scoring 40% gets you a failing grade.
Where do the the AMA's statistics state that ? got a link ?

Quote:
Personally, I was hospitalized last year for a medical error causing bleeding. Twice during the stay, a nurse tried to administer blood coagulants instead of transfusion. Health-care?
Personally In the last 5 years have been hospitalized for bilateral carotid endarterectomy surgery, 2 femoral angiograms , and double bypass heart surgery. The care I received was outstanding, 40 years ago I would likely be dead ....
Currently I bicycle an 18.5 mile loop at and elevation of almost 6000 ft., with multiple 6% to 10% grade hills , 2 to 3 times a week . I scuba dive, snow ski, ride a motorcycle and and fly fish hiking along mountain streams, all after what I would label , pretty successful " medical encounters"

Different stokes for different folks , I am just glad that because of endarterectomies I haven't

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-17-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 AM

For every improvement I can find, I seem to find negative artifacts.

Ed
Old 06-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
For every improvement I can find, I seem to find negative artifacts.

Ed
Some can always find a problem with any solution .
Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Work on low level flight!

i - as long as we are still on the bike while flying I am too old for those endos...they hurt!
Old 06-26-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
i - as long as we are still on the bike while flying I am too old for those endos...they hurt!

Friends only let friends own bikes that have head angle 67 deg or more slack than that with forks that are 120 mm or more all in front of short chain stays.

Then you get rid of clip/cleat pedals and ride with light hands, heavy feet, and heels down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic