The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Will Phantom power damage the DTar Solstice Balanced Output

Many mixers turn phantom power off or on to all channels at once. The Tone Dexter provides full-time phantom power. My question is if this phantom power could damage the DTar Solstice output when mixing mics. I'm sure this has come up many times in practice since the Solstice is somewhat of a sub-mixer,.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Default Not likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by caballlero59 View Post
Many mixers turn phantom power off or on to all channels at once. The Tone Dexter provides full-time phantom power. My question is if this phantom power could damage the DTar Solstice output when mixing mics. I'm sure this has come up many times in practice since the Solstice is somewhat of a sub-mixer,.
Phantom power 9 to 48 volts supplies a very small current So small it is unlikely to harm anything. I could be wrong I don't know the equipment.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caballlero59 View Post
Hi c

No. At least it has not harmed mine over the past few years use on stages where the phantom is being fed to every XLR.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 AM

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:15 AM

I would add that some devices performance is negatively affected by phantom power even if no damage is done. I have a cab sim box whose output drops dramatically when phantom power is applied. I discovered this on a gig and messed around for 15 minutes trying to sort out where my signal went before I gave up and rerouted my signal chain. After experimenting and ultimately contacting the maker, I confirmed the design was not phantom power compatible.

hunter
Old 06-16-2018, 08:53 AM

For those rare cases (ribbon mics):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...EALw_wcB&smp=y
Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 AM

FWIW, I was using a dual XLR to 1/8" TRS and forgot I had left phantom power on. It fried the headphone jack circuit on my Android Blackberry.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks…

It's pretty well documented that mobile phones, tablets and ribbon mics don't play well (or survive contact) with phantom power from a PA board. I've used, and owned mixers (both powered and unpowered boards) which do either universal (phantom either all on or off), and systems with individual channel control.

To be safe, I've often put batteries into other player's preamps and avoided phantom powering their gear, as a noise avoidance tool (due to poor electric system installation in some venues). And I also carry & use adapters which convert three prong grounded to two-prong plugs when we cannot isolate ground hum any other way.

Back to the point of the thread…
But Caballlero 59 asked about the DTAR Solstice Preamp, which I've owned and used for a lot of years, in boards where the Phantom is active and turned on, without damage to the unit (which itself can provide phantom to internal instrument mics with that turned on as well). Nor does it degrade the output sound. It is a tank of a preamp unit...the heaviest I've used.

I've also plugged in (without damage) my K&K Two channel belt pack preamp, both versions of my UltraSound preamps, Baggs ParaDI preamps, Behringer DI ADI21 preamp, Raven PMB I & II preamps, Headway EDB-1 preamp, guitars equipped with both internally powered Baggs and Fishman Pickup systems, Taylor Guitar systems (including the systems before their current lineup), every Shure PA mic known to man. All of these I either currently own and use, or have owned for a substantial period of time.

None of these were damaged by the phantom power, nor was the quality of the tone affected, nor noise added.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Yes Larry, the Solstice is lovely. I was amazed when I bypassed the preamp on my Takamine Pro series and sent the Palathetic signal straight to the Solstice. Big difference. I was thinking of selling the Solstice but no more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification