The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default The "dropsies"

for lack of a better term. At 63 my left hand has developed a mind of its own the past couple of months (or maybe its losing its mind). It'll suddenly decide to let go of what ever it was holding. Fortunately the times it was a cup of coffee or other beverage my right hand came to the rescue.

So far its isn't doing chord changes without guidance,

Anyone else experience anything like this? Is this a symptom of bad tidings to come or just part of the never ending fun of getting older?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Depends. Do you have diabetes? If you do, go see your doctor as this could be a sign of neuropathy.

Other than that, yeah, it could just be the ongoing race to decrepitude. That is, getting older. It ain't fun.

I hear you though. I do have diabetes and it is getting harder and harder to hold a pick. My fingers simply seem to give up and I drop the pick.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 PM

I'm almost 60 and had a very similar issue prior to being diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel. My hand would loose its grip on something and then be followed by numbness for a few minutes. Not sure if your issue is related, but throwing this out there for consideration.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 AM

Might also be a cervical radial nerve impingement--ask your doc about a neck x-ray. Meanwhile, welcome to the 60s, aka oldfartitude (I can say that, because you're younger than I am).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:36 AM

I drop stuff all the time, but it's not because of that, it's just I'm getting taller at age 60 and my brain obviously thinks it's good exercise for my back to bend over and constantly pick stuff up.

It's my brain that's got my back...….

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You don't by chance have migraines, do you?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:08 PM

Isn't that a sign of stroke? Definitely go see a doctor!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:46 AM

I hate to hear of what you are experiencing. I pray your condition improves.

I have had similar incidents. Several years ago, I was placing my T5 in the case and my hand just let go of the guitar. It fell into one of the case latches and now has a very visible reminder of the end results. The neck has a nice gouge in it, but it doesn't affect the playing of it and no one knows about it unless they play it. The damage is on the back side. And then there was the time my hand let go of a capo and fell onto the top of my 814. All is good though as I understand life and age has side effects. I was seen by a neurologist who thought possible stroke activity, but that came back with no evidence.

Good luck with your future and I hope your individual condition improves.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:45 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I had a stroke April of '17, but this is a new development. Thanks for the kind words and info everyone.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM

I'm increasingly having a tough time with my L hand, especially since my TFCC tear in Feb. (Even 2 yrs ago, I found my pinky sometimes disobeying my brain & hitting the wrong string on C & G variations and alternating-bass B7--I had my glucose & a1c drawn, and it was normal; I also know about bone spurs on my cervical vertebrae, which were discovered at age 31). But lately, I was put back into a brace/splint 24/7 (except for gigging) by my hand surgeon after my MRI results. Each gig has gotten progressively harder & harder, not just the fact that I can no longer form barre chords--even on dulcimer, stretches and contortions on suspensions on the higher frets have become agonizing (assuming I even can execute them), to such an extent that the sharp pains in my wrist & base of thumb startled me during the intro solo to "Pack Up Your Sorrows" and I had to restart it so that I could expect the pain and plow through it. It was an hourlong outdoor street festival gig, and the heat & humidity didn't help--but having to rejigger our set list on the fly was frustrating.

My surgeon said that finger numbness & pain nerve impingement can happen "close to home" (not just originating in the spine) with both accidental and overuse injuries, as well as wear and tear of aging. I get a second cortisone shot this Wed. (this time in the TFCC instead of the tendon) and hope I can play a scheduled 2-set gig 9 days later. If he says that surgery is unnecessary, or would be futile or even harmful, I will look into physical therapy and manipulative options. (I already have a PT/OT referral, but was advised not to use it yet). I do know that nothing I take by mouth makes a dent--just makes me drowsy or gives me reflux.

So, Barry, you might want to check with an orthopedist--could be something that physical therapy could alleviate.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic