The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-15-2018, 06:31 AM

Question Godin Multiac sa Nylon?

I always seem to come back to thinking about buying a godin multiac nylon sa with the rmc pickups, i always fancied the hex pickup idea. Over here in the u.k they are quite a premium price, anyone any thoughts on these guitars.......looking to use it for atkins, reed style of playing.
Rob
Old 05-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I think that would be the ideal guitar to have for those styles.
I’ve long thought about getting one of those just for that kind of music. What’s held me back is that I have a Gibson Chet Atkins CE model, which I like, and which was a sort of forerunner for the Godin design (I think.). But the Godin electronics are better sounding imo, less piezo like, for a rounder, fatter tone.
The action on both is comparable, i.e. low and fast. Very good playability characteristics that lend well to Jerry Reed’s music especially.
I hope that you get one! If you do report back please!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-15-2018, 12:46 PM

If you're not going to use the synth access, the Duet Ambiance models have a far better pickup system for a pure "acoustic" sound (I'd actually go as far as to say it's the best acoustic pickup system I've ever used). They actually sound decent unplugged too, which is surprising.

Godin makes great guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Wink

We are very fortunate to live in a time when there are so many different guitar designs to choose from! Different body shapes and different body materials, different neck widths, different neck thicknesses, different fretboard materials, different types of frets, different scale lengths, different string spacing...........

Something to please just about everyone, AND you can also custom order just about anything that you can imagine!

I was very fortunate to own a Godin nylon string about 15 years ago. I really liked everything about that guitar..........EXCEPT........it was heavy, and the neck was heavier than the body, so when playing standing up with a strap, if you let go of the neck it would immediately dive towards the floor.

Godin's are well made, and the guitars and the company enjoy an excellent reputation.

Whether or not YOU will like any given Godin model can really only be found out by playing one.

Come to think of it, I own a Godin 7 string nylon string for the last couple of years......it mostly sits in the corner because I get totally discombobulated by seven strings.

Well, I'm probably generally discombobulated anyway.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:27 AM

after trying a godin multiac i went all gonzo over it, but couldn't afford one, so i found a decent asian kinda-clone (tho it lacked midi)...

and for about a month played it, i was all gonzo'd out over it....and then lost all interest in it...it gathered dust for a few years and recently i gave it to a kid who aint got any money but who's mad for guitars

twice i got all gonzo'd about midi/synth guitars, and got roland gear...and played them, all gonzo'd out over them...for about 4 months, tops...and then got un-gonzo'd, they gathered dust, sold them....even with the best tracking and samples/synths to midi-trigger, it became boring/ungratifying--all gravy and no potatoes etc.

meanwhile i've played strictly acoustic guitars for 54 years and still aint got bored with 'em, discovering ever-more things to be found and explored within those simple little boxes...

heck, i don't even like pickups (saddle or soundboard) on acoustics...mic-em if i HAVE to, but otherwise, just soundwaves from those little wooden boxes direct to eardrums remain my fave.

but if you're tickled by the solid-body, midi-pickup blendable approach, those godins are hard to beat.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:32 PM

Belated thank you for your words.I'm with you all the way.The reason I've edged just a bit closer toward electric(nyon-Yamaha/Godin)is that you get to hear more of what you're doing,right in your face.My favourites are acoustics with sound ports and I'm a little disappointed they aren't standard on production guitars.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas, trying to find a secondhand godin here in the u.k.
Rob
Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Question

Are there any other companies that make a similar instrument?
Crafter seem to make something along similar lines......
http://craftereurope.com/prodinfo9771195/

Last edited by RobKay; 05-22-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:37 PM

I have the slim version of the ACS multiac. I got it because the neck is narrower at the nut and has a minimal radiused fingerboard. The sound plugged in is very realistic, and for me the neck just felt very comfortable.
Great choice, particuarly if you can find one used.
But they are only $1000 new.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
I always seem to come back to thinking about buying a godin multiac nylon sa with the rmc pickups, i always fancied the hex pickup idea. Over here in the u.k they are quite a premium price, anyone any thoughts on these guitars.......looking to use it for atkins, reed style of playing.
Rob
Hello Rob

I have a Godin Multiac SA Nylon that’s my favorite guitar to play. It’s easy on the fingers – smooth playing guitar. Mine has the 1 7/8 nut which for me is just right. I use it with the Roland GR-55 for synth sounds. I’ve have the GR-55 for a few years and mostly use it with a Roland-Fender GC1 Strat but occasionally I like having “strings” (synth) with the Godin.

I’m not a pro but if you are interested take a look at my YouTube channel (link in signature) where I use the Godin for several songs. I’m using the GR-55 on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” for strings – very subtlety.

I hope this helps.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 06-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If you're not going to use the synth access, the Duet Ambiance models have a far better pickup system for a pure "acoustic" sound (I'd actually go as far as to say it's the best acoustic pickup system I've ever used). They actually sound decent unplugged too, which is surprising.

Godin makes great guitars.
I am very interested in your last line "They actually sound decent unplugged too, which is surprising.
I keep returning to look at these superb intruments as I am learning Classical Guitar (around 15 months) and from complete novice have started to know my way around a classical guitar.
I did ask about these guitars on a Classical forum but got the expected 'not proper classsical guitar' response.
Do you think the model you spoke about would be alright for my lessons as it would be a huge step up from my beloved Yamaha C40?
My simple logic is that this guitar would seem an ideal Classical, electric and fun guitar and my good lady wife has agreed that in the next year i will be allowed to get a decent guitar, but just the one!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:56 PM

It's been some time, but I've played the Godin classical and crossover classical. Both were solid body with internal chambers for resonance and thus unplugged sound.

As best I remember, the sound they made was pleasant enough but very soft, and so dynamic range just wasn't there.

Godin may have changed their designs since I played them.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:08 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the replies, searching here in the uk for a used godin but if that fails i'll treat myself to a new one.
Rob(uk)
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
Thank you all for the replies, searching here in the uk for a used godin but if that fails i'll treat myself to a new one.
Rob(uk)
Keep me up to date with your progress Rob as I am probably going to do the same albeit in about year. I would suggest that if you need first class Godin advice you contact Richards Guitars he has dealt with them for 20 years and is an expert in their guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical