The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
For me it’s the total package. First impression is the looks. Like a first date, you initially like what you see, or you don’t. Next it’s the handshake. How does it feel, smell. This can enhance your opinion of the looks or could make you forget about the looks for a while, while you get the sense of how it feels in your hands.

Next comes the conversation. How does she sound? Witty? Smooth? Complicated with a strong vocabulary? Or dense and hard to figure out? In the end if she can’t speak to you in the quiet, intimate moments, it really doesn’t matter what she looks like. You’ll tire of her and move on to another 000 or OM. It’s the total package.
This is my process almost to a T. I've tired and moved on to many guitars in the past 6 years. I started with 1, ballooned to 14, and had fluctuating quantities in between. My 3rd guitar, which I purchased about 5 years ago, has stood the test of time. It is my Taylor Custom GA (Cedar/EIR). This guitar has never failed to put a smile on my face. Many have come close, but none have surpassed the feeling I get when playing this one.

This is clearly "my favorite".
Old 06-19-2018, 06:25 AM

ManyMartinMan and VJP5, I agree with you. The last part about the conversation with it comes from knowing your style and what you feel when you play. I think that's why some of us reach a point where we can be satisfied with a fewer number of guitars that speak to us. Until you reach that point gas can run rampant. Have a good day.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
Sounds like your Martin is the girl you bring home to meet Mom & Dad; your J-45 is the gal in the next neighborhood that you've been sewing some wild oats with. he hehe

Yes, I have one like that. Guitar that is .....
To me a Martin would be like the knockout you date in college that becomes your first love. The J-45 is the girl that was always there for you, and the one you end up marrying because she's the total package...smart, funny, and beautiful.

I'm just having fun. I've already got some dings and scratches on the J-45 because I play the heck out of it. The finish is cloudy where my arm rests, I've changed the UST out for a Lyric, and I am probably going to buy a new bone saddle. It's the guitar I just want to grab and hug!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
This is my process almost to a T. I've tired and moved on to many guitars in the past 6 years. I started with 1, ballooned to 14, and had fluctuating quantities in between. My 3rd guitar, which I purchased about 5 years ago, has stood the test of time. It is my Taylor Custom GA (Cedar/EIR). This guitar has never failed to put a smile on my face. Many have come close, but none have surpassed the feeling I get when playing this one.

This is clearly "my favorite".
Cedar has a pleasing tone to me. That's a broad statement, as there's so many very different sounding cedar guitars out there. I've done A/B with similar spruce guitars, although some may say the spruce sounds better, for me Cedar just has that pleasing tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion