The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-18-2020, 01:26 AM

Default Is PRS...............

...my best choice in a top quality American made production electric solid body guitar without having to go the booteek route? Money is no object.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:12 AM

If you're looking at their build quality, sure. If you want something different, plenty of options. ESP currently has a USA division that are reportedly very nice. Ernie Ball offers some cool stuff, too.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
...my best choice in a top quality American made production electric solid body guitar without having to go the booteek route? Money is no object.
Is Collings boutique to you?
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A great choice yes absolutely ...... "the best choice" has far too many variables and is so totally subject, to be of any use

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-18-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You're asking for opinions, so mine is no. Not by a long shot in terms of value. They are great guitars, I owned one and wish I'd kept it, but in terms of what you get vs what you pay my Tom Andersons are better in every way. I see what some people pay for a PRS, and you can get better quality for substantially less with other builders.

EDIT: if money is no object, I'm not clear on why you stipulate avoiding boutique builders. I think with PRS you are paying boutique prices already, even if they aren't considered "boutique" any more. Again, I'm NOT slamming PRS; they are truly great guitars. I like them a lot. I just think, speaking bluntly, they are over-priced when compared to other options.

Last edited by Paleolith54; 11-18-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yes. But only if you are talking buying without playing first. There are companies that I trust the consistency of. Taylor, Larrivee, USA G&L, PRS. I would have no fear odering one of those online. But, if you have time and enjoy the personal hunt all the Major USA companies are on table

But if you buy used, suddenly there is Washburn custom shop, Peavey custom shop, Pre-Washburn Parker, any hamer in the early 90's...

Just one hack's opinion.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:33 AM

I have a 1997 PRS, that I bought in 1997, that took me 11 years to get.

I also have 2 Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. There's no difference in fit an finish between the two but I prefer the EBMM by miles. PRS are nice to look at. They do all blend together after the 10,000 one you've seen. I don't like the carved top on mine. I don't prefer the neck. I had to swap out pups because the stock ones (Dragon II) blew and I had to change out the 5 way rotary, which is not an issue anymore. They are beautiful guitars but I would look elsewhere even if you come back to a PRS in the end. Look at Music Man. I have an Axis Sport and Super Sport. No finer electrics out there imo.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 AM

certainly there are a fair share of excellent options...including one of my favorites, ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN...they make great guitars...but there are plenty of great non boutique builders.....why wouldn't you also consider boutique?

(my current 3 ernies)

1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
certainly there are a fair share of excellent options...including one of my favorites, ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN...they make great guitars...but there are plenty of great non boutique builders.....why wouldn't you also consider boutique?

(my current 3 ernies)

I love all three of those! I think my next, and possible last purchase, is either an Axis Sport with 3 single coils or a Steve Morse model like yours.

How does the Axis neck compare to the Morse one? I've heard the Axis is the smallest neck in the MM lineup but that the Morse one is the next smallest. What I love about the Axis, besides the body shape, are the necks. I prefer the Axis body shape to the Morse, but I don't mind the Morse. I think the Axis is the best looking body style in all of electrics besides Jerry's Tiger and Rosebud.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I love all three of those! I think my next, and possible last purchase, is either an Axis Sport with 3 single coils or a Steve Morse model like yours.

How does the Axis neck compare to the Morse one? I've heard the Axis is the smallest neck in the MM lineup but that the Morse one is the next smallest. What I love about the Axis, besides the body shape, are the necks. I prefer the Axis body shape to the Morse, but I don't mind the Morse. I think the Axis is the best looking body style in all of electrics besides Jerry's Tiger and Rosebud.
hey Marley...

My Axis Sport is a 2001...Morse is like 2007 i think...the AL is 2012 or so....not sure how much the necks have changed over the years of production...however, relative to mine, the Morse neck "feels the largest", but by no means is it large, if that makes any sense...Morse neck is awesome...as are the other two....radius on the Morse is 12"...the other two are 10"...
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:37 PM

Yeah, EBMM is on my radar. I owned a Custom 24 (PRS) a few years ago, great guitar but had body dive (the opposite of neck-dive); that was its only negative IME. Yes, Collings, to me, is a boutique-ish company. One of the things I look for in a SSelectric guitar is the placement of the volume control(s), as I do Phil Keaggy style volume swells; the PRS was perfect in that regard, for me. I have tried to love Strats, can't do it, not with the volume control where it is, at any rate. Yeah, Custom Shop, but their prices are way out of line, in the real world (I have priced some possible instruments, in the past), even for the simplest of changes.

Maybe, I'll just stick with my acoustics (I denounced electrics, for myself, a couple years ago, not sure why I am considering going back to one, really).
Old 11-19-2020, 05:38 PM

Gibson Custom Shop Reissue guitars are nice and pricy too. A Les Paul R9 (1959) is worth checking out if you prefer Gibson tone over PRS.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:36 AM

https://www.b3guitars.com/

Baker guitars are back.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You can watch some of the Paul Reed Smith Tedtalks to gain some perspective on his concepts of building instruments.

I don't roll that way, but the PRS guitars are generally works of art if you don't mind spending the money.

John Mayer doesn't seem to have a problem with them.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Gibson Custom Shop Reissue guitars are nice and pricy too. A Les Paul R9 (1959) is worth checking out if you prefer Gibson tone over PRS.
Or a R7, R6, or R4, if you want the same sound, and quality, for less money, and if you like Goldtops and a slightly beefier neck shapes. Almost $2000 cheaper...

Here's my 2019 R4 and 2014 R7 and they are both GREAT guitars.

...and if you don't like Goldtops there's always the R8 which is about $1500 cheaper. Some of these have some killer flame tops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars