The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2020, 11:01 AM

We don't know where you are to make store suggestions, but I would typically counsel a beginner to look for:
-- Seagull S6 or one of their folk size models
-- Farida Old Town OT-22 series
-- Yamaha 830

Seagull has both wide neck 1.8" versions and more recently a slim 1.72" nut width. Yamaha's are quite good (especially for the price) but they have a narrow nut and narrow string spacing at the bridge. Some find that limiting when getting into finger picking. Farida is only available through Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI and come in regular 1-11/16" and wide 1-3/4" neck widths. https://www.elderly.com/collections/...series-00-size

While you can technically play any style on any guitar, something like the blues will probably not sound "right" on nylon strings. And welcome -- it is impressive if you can already play a Bb chord, which requires a barre.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:14 PM

I would recomment Eastman AC122ce and Seagull Performer CW QIT.
Eastman pickup is crappy, but Seagull QIT is good.
Maybe Alvarez MFA (I own the smaller AP66 parlor)
Old 07-19-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
Don't make an expensive mistake at this point. Just go buy an FS (smaller body) or FG (larger body) 800 Yamaha for $199 and be done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
That $200 Yamaha will be the best investment OP will ever make if/when he thinks he's outgrown it, if ever. Meanwhile it's going to be a good teaching machine. And even if it gets thrown away, the depreciation can only be that original $200. Way more benefit and use than the $200 price.
Agreed completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWithNames View Post
I’ll disagree with the “buy cheap” sentiment. OP, you already have moved past the first guitar stage and practice way more than most.
The OP has been playing for about half a year and has yet to own a steel string guitar. I’d say that’s still very much first guitar stage.

While the Yamahas mentioned are inexpensive, they’re not “cheap” guitars in terms of quality or sound. I’ve played a number of them and have come away impressed nearly every time.

If I had to start over and my budget was $600, I’d get an FG800 on a promo/coupon for under $200, shake my head at how much guitar it is for the money, play it like crazy, and be $400 closer to a standard series Martin later on.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
While the Yamahas mentioned are inexpensive, they’re not “cheap” guitars in terms of quality or sound.
I should not have used the word “cheap” - that’s unnecessarily loaded. I don’t mean to discredit anyone’s experience with these Yamaha guitars - they get lots of good reviews.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
and be $400 closer to a standard series Martin later on.
Or a $800 to $1,000 all solid import such as an Eastman or Guild. Or a $1,400 to $1,600 U.S. built Guild or Gibson.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:41 PM

thanks for quick replies!! I don't feel lost anymore Unfortunately, I can't go to shops(GC) for checking out right now. I went to GC a month ago and waited 1-2 hours in line before I was let in the store.

So, I went ahead and ordered Yamaha FS800 online today($200). Since I've not played on steel strings yet and I'm kinda beginner, so I need to figure out what I'm doing So, Yamaha FS800 seems a good bet overall. I have read some good reviews online. Also, I'm playing Yamaha CG 100SA(nylon strings) currently, and it seems to have good quality, so I kinda trust Yamaha.

Thanks guys!! Also, I was wondering shall I change strings of the guitar or factory ones should be good for now.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

While I'd have had you spend your budget, I'm not second guessing you. What you bought is way better than the 70s Ibanez I started on.

Here's my next advice. Skip the $500-800 level next time. If you can, move right to the 15 or 16 Martin guitars, or better yet the 18 series ( or Taylor or Gibson, or Guild etc. equivalent). throttle back a notch and Eastman, the high grade Yammies, and others come to mind. The fewer upgrade stages, the better.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-19-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_blues View Post
thanks for quick replies!! I don't feel lost anymore Unfortunately, I can't go to shops(GC) for checking out right now. I went to GC a month ago and waited 1-2 hours in line before I was let in the store.

So, I went ahead and ordered Yamaha FS800 online today($200). Since I've not played on steel strings yet and I'm kinda beginner, so I need to figure out what I'm doing So, Yamaha FS800 seems a good bet overall. I have read some good reviews online. Also, I'm playing Yamaha CG 100SA(nylon strings) currently, and it seems to have good quality, so I kinda trust Yamaha.

Thanks guys!! Also, I was wondering shall I change strings of the guitar or factory ones should be good for now.
The FG/FS series come with coated 80/20, size 12 strings, either D’addario or Elixirs.

Should be good to get you started.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:58 PM

At $600, I'd shop for a used Taylor or Guild.
I've found Martin's entry level guitars to be disappointing, but I do love their standard series and above.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Hi All, I'm Jay and a new member of AGF. Nice to meet all fellow guitar enthusiasts!|

I'm a beginner and I started playing since last Dec. I practice about 1-2 hours about 3-4 times a week. I own Yamaha CG 100SA solid Spruce top; it has nylon strings.

I've learned a few chords(C,E, A,D Dmin, Bflat etc.), but I feel the sound is not right for songs that I'm playing e.g. blues, when I compare with the guys on Youtube. The guitar seems to be of a good quality, but I guess it isn't suitable for strumming (using a pick) or may be I'm not strumming with right technique.

Do you guys recommend guitar with steel strings? Also any recommendations for guitars. I've short hands and so looking for something that fits in my hands and also my budget is upto 500-600. Somebody mentioned Seagull have affordable guitars.
I just took delivery yesterday of a new Seagull S6. It was advertised on Reverb for $449 and I offered $375 which was accepted. I am very impressed with the build quality and the tone. It does not come with a case but those can be found for around $100. I have other nice guitars (Martin, Gibson) and this Seagull holds it own with the big boys. If you get the chance, check them out.

Another killer guitar around your price range is the Alvarez BG (bluegrass) models, both dread size and OM.

But, can't go wrong with the $200 Yamaha either.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit - I see now you bought the FS800. Great choice! Now play the heck out of it. I agree with the poster above who said wait awhile and then if you have the hankering to upgrade, look at the 15 series Martins or a used mid-level Martin, Taylor, or Gibson.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of steel string guitars! I’ll have to give one more vote for the Yamaha FS800. I’m a huge Yamaha fan, and can’t say enough about their consistency and quality. It’s magical. And for starting out, that FS800 is better than good enough at a third of your budget. It’s a winner.
2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Singer Songwriter: http://benjaminkrogh.bandcamp.com
Old 07-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:

You chose VERY wisely.

Have fun!!!!!!!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 07-19-2020, 04:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

The factory strings should be fine. Good luck with it!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-20-2020, 05:30 AM

It's honestly HARD to buy a Truly Awful guitar nowadays.

Play everything in your price range. EVERYTHING. Play a couple of things you can't afford.

When I bought my first guitar, I set a budget "Under $1,000..." then played everything from $200 on up.

I wound up with around a $500 Seagull 00 body.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:53 PM

Another vote for the Yamaha. They offer a great lineup of acoustics. Many with a solid top which is a must have nowadays.

As someone mentioned earlier, they're consistent. It's hard to get a bad one and, for $200, if you never buy another guitar, though unlikely, you'll have a guitar that will serve you for MANY years to come.

And don't forget a pro setup.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, guitar recommendations