The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM

Red face ♫ ♬ ♪ ♫ ♬ Guitar(s) that you would never sell ? ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩

Do you have any guitar(s) that you would never sell ?

what is it ? any stories behind it ?

Cheers
Old 07-02-2020, 06:40 PM

The three that will never, ever leave:
  • 1995ish HD 28VS that was s gift from my wife. My son learned to play on it.
  • Martin OM 42 Koa. Lifelong keeper...my everyday go to.
  • 1978 Gurian Jumbo Rosewood. Bought this new right out of college, had to sell in the early 90’s to financial experience a divorce and miraculously found it several years ago and bought it back.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I've said in the past "I'll never sell this one" but then I did. I just built a HD-28-ish Adirondack top dread at The Henderson School for Appalachian Arts last week with Wayne Henderson and three other fantastic luthiers. This one I will never sell. And I'll be specific about who gets it when I'm gone!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I recently sold a guitar so I am one guitar down in regards to my par inventory, but I have a custom D-35 on the way. If It moves me as much as all the other guitar I have then it will be a keeper

I don’t see my self selling any guitars that are currently in my stable. They are not valuable as a collectors items, nor would they be considered the best guitars money can buy. In fact I sold several guitars that were way more expensive then the guitars I have now. But each of the guitars I still have has a sonic quality that I find to be euphoric and each has a function. If something else come my way I would have a hard time choosing which one goes.

But I will never say never
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 07-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I've always been reluctant to say this about any guitar I've owned and indeed many a 'keeper' has come and gone. But I picked up my first brand new Martin this past December and so far the shine has only increased. It's a custom shop, one-of-a-kind (at the time of its build) Martin D-1 all flamed mahogany 12-fret dread. Martin said they had never built an all Mahogany 12-fret dread before. This might have changed since then, of course.

No real story. Just a custom build by a small shop that then listed it on Reverb. I was poking around looking at the discontinued Martin D-1 Authentic when it popped up and I loved the look and the idea. Bought it on a whim as I was not even really in the market, let alone for a NEW full custom Martin, but something just said go for it and that I'd like it. This from a previously non-fan of dread guitars.

It was love at first strum and that feeling has only grown. This might truly be one that will never get sold. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-02-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:23 PM

My D18 would be the last one out of my house.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM

I've got some nice one's, but if my needs/musical direction change, who knows?

The one I won't sell is a Schecter strat my Dad bought me for my highschool graduation present. I was a big Mark Knoplfer fan at the time. Mines not red, but otherwise the same.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:39 PM

My 70s Kay KD-28-12 and my 1965 Fender mustang, I don’t play either one much, but at this point, I’ve had em so long, they just belong here.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post

But I will never say never
I'LL say never.

In 2015, I became one of the luckiest people alive. Here's the story.

In 2014, the strings division of C.F. Martin ran a contest called (IIRC) "Think Inside the Box." The grand prize was that you could design your own Martin with any specs you wanted, up to a value of $10,000. I sent in the application and at that time I had never won anything of real value.

In Feb. 2015, I got a phone call from a company in New York City that was administering the Martin giveaway. The very nice woman on the phone said, "You've won a Martin guitar!" I said, "Yeah, right, do you have a bridge you want to sell me?", but it turned out that I had indeed won the contest. So I had to start thinking about what my ideal guitar would be from the Martin Custom Shop.

In the past, I had owned everything from a Larrivee parlor to a Guild Jumbo 12-string. All were good, but nothing was the perfect size and shape for me. I somehow got to thinking about the Martin M/0000 body, but I had never played one. Thanks to my friends at The Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL, I got to try one and it felt really right.

I ended up going to the Martin factory in Nazareth in late March, 2015. I took the Behind the Scenes tour in the morning, then spent most of the afternoon with the folks in Martin's Custom Shop. We talked about various wood combinations, and I played a little bit for them so they could assess my playing style. We talked about a torrified Adi spruce top, and rosewood back and sides. They told me they had just received a nice stash of Guatemalan rosewood, and we decided to go with that. I asked, "Doesn't the M-36 or M-38 have a three-piece back? Could we go with a contrasting wood for the center piece?" They agreed that we could, so we used cocobolo for the center wedge. After that, it was mainly cosmetics - flamed maple binding for the body, neck and headstock, a headstock torch inlay identical to the Jorma Kaukonen Signature model, and a caduceus inlay on each wing of the bridge, to celebrate my medical career. Remember that the budget was $10,000? We came in at $9 under budget.

Months of nail-biting ensued. I received the guitar in mid-September 2015. The nice folks at Martin Strings sent me photo updates of construction along the way. It was, and still is, the best guitar I have ever played, and it has only gotten better with time. This is the one that will never, EVER, get away. I only hope my kids will do something special with it when I'm gone.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 PM

I'll let the label do the talking.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-02-2020, 08:08 PM

My Bourgeois Banjo Killer is hands down my favorite guitar I’ve ever played, so it won’t ever leave. My D41 was my 50th BD present from my wife and is an amazing guitar, so it’s a lifer too! If someone gave me $500, my Taylor Koa GS Mini ES2 couldn’t leave here fast enough!LOL

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 PM

1976 Larrivee L-11 that I've had since 1980. One month after selling it to me, the original owner wanted to buy it back. Sorry. It will go to my grandaughter when I'm gone.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 PM

My McCollum is the guitar I spent 40+ years searching for. I will never sell it and I will never buy another acoustic guitar because I don't want to play another acoustic guitar.

In all the years I've owned it, it has never sounded less than amazing, no matter the age of the strings.

It's like that once in a lifetime dog that some people have that makes them never want another when they lose it.

In the case of the guitar, I'll be the one passing on, so I'll have this once in a lifetime guitar forever, baring unexpected loss of some kind.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'll let the label do the talking.

OMG, that picture's like a bad dream.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 PM

I have had a few guitars that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, so they're not for sale, or even give away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar