The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

View Poll Results: What should I go with for in a Keystone Guitar?
African Blackwood 26 40.63%
Straighter-grained Brazilian Rosewood 25 39.06%
Crazy wild Brazilian Rosewood 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I've read through everyone's insightful remarks, they are much appreciated. So straighter grained BRW is neck to neck with ABW while the wild grain one is out of the running according to the poll!

My issue with going with the BRW is that it is not 100% quarter sawn, which is bit of a bummer. Keisuke sells quite a few BRW builds some of which are REALLY nice, so he's kind of out of them at the moment. You can see the ones he has completed on his instagram - gorgeous stuff. I understand concerns about shipping BRW around but this is an opportunity for him to actually hand deliver the BRW safely in the first place which takes the first hurdle out of the way, so that is why I'm thinking of it.

Regarding ABW, yes that set is essentially perfect (except to those people who do not like sapwood). And it would make for a much heavier guitar especially on a Mod-D sized guitar.

@mercy, I mentioned the backstrip to Keisuke-san before but he said that he puts it there to prevent the centre seam from cracking so I guess I better follow his lead on that one.

Hopefully an answer will present itself to me in my sleep

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I would trust the builder though I voted for the straight-grained Brazilian. Tap tone and stability would be my overriding priorities. I do love African Blackwood as well. It is a tough decision. Both beautiful options.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 PM

Normally I'm a straight-grain guy, but I voted for the wild Braz! I think it's gorgeous. I'm sure a good luthier can brace it and thickness it so that cracking isn't a big issue. If I were a luthier (I'm definitely not), I don't think I would offer it otherwise.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Straight grained Brazilian is the safe choice. Not a fan of sapwood anywhere. Love that celluloid rosette!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-22-2018, 07:46 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I like all of the choices. My opinion would relate more to the reason for the build. If it is a personal guitar, I'd probably lean more to the straight grained Braz first, then the Blackwood. I like blackwood a lot and think either of those are good personal choices. If the build is just to sell, that figured Brazilian will catch more attention as I've found that most buyers prefer figure. The visual appeal is almost a certain sale for most people.

Just my two cents...

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Anything quarter sawn is better than the wild Brazilian. The chances of that wood cracking in the future is VERY high, in my experience.
It is NOT any higher "chance" than any straight grain brazilian's chance of cracking. Braz just likes to crack, sometimes, and sometimes for absolutely NO apparent reason, no obvious flaw or stress point.

Look at all the vintage Martin's have have back and side cracks, the cracks most often follow right up a straight grain line.

I voted for the wild set by the way...it will look wonderful and unique under finish, and sound every bit as good.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 11-22-2018, 05:18 PM

I consider that ABW is really nice but regarding my experience, that wood will make a heavy instrument and if the guitar to build is an Md, will be too heavy. I have owned a nice Om from a japanish luthier that I ended selling for that reason. I actually own and really love the same guitar but build with BRW.

The tone of both woods is similar, just a bid darker trebles and definition on the ABW and that been an Md is not intreresting for me. I will go for the BRW.

I think that a BRW guitar like ABW, won't have any issue as I consider that when you buy a guitar of this quality, in normal conditions it will be resting in its case in a safe house or in good hands as any incident will cut the value inmediatly. The guitars build last century were not that safe, as the owner had less information about wood, weather ...

The end result and contrast of the back will be similar regarding design, both will be perfect looking. I will be going for the straight grained as the other one is full of imperfections and bad quality, ugly for me.

Regarding cost and market value, I think that BRW is the winner.

No doubt I will go for the BRW straight grained and then the ABW if is my build, but possibly the main consideration is the final customer/owner, if is local or just international as the actual CITES regulation is a problem.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Easy call for me, straight grain Brazilian. I like the sound and the way it looks more. It will be easier to sell too. And I think it is more stable from what I’ve read.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 AM

I have played a lot more brazilian rosewood guitars than abw but i have to say i prefer braz by a long way to abw. There is a sparkle to braz that doesnt seem to be there in abw and i seem to hear this in rhe clips. The two abw guitars i have played did not dispel this impression. On top of that, braz looks better and smells better also.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I have played a lot more brazilian rosewood guitars than abw but i have to say i prefer braz by a long way to abw. There is a sparkle to braz that doesnt seem to be there in abw and i seem to hear this in rhe clips. The two abw guitars i have played did not dispel this impression. On top of that, braz looks better and smells better also.
After discussing with Keisuke Nishi about the differences in sound of ABW and BRW (and also based on what I've played), we decided that we wanted to go with BRW for the dynamic responsiveness we are after.

Then it was on to which set of BRW to go with. I am so sorry to disappoint guys but we decided to go with the wild set of BRW! Keisuke was quite insistent that this set was special and wanted to build this for my shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
It is NOT any higher "chance" than any straight grain brazilian's chance of cracking. Braz just likes to crack, sometimes, and sometimes for absolutely NO apparent reason, no obvious flaw or stress point.

Look at all the vintage Martin's have have back and side cracks, the cracks most often follow right up a straight grain line.

I voted for the wild set by the way...it will look wonderful and unique under finish, and sound every bit as good.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
This is actually something that was discussed too. He was confident that the set was as stable as any he had. When I asked him if it'll crack, he said BRW will crack when it cracks, but he doesn't think that this set will crack anymore than the next set. So there we have it.

Despite not listening to you folks in the end, thanks so much for chiming in with your thoughts and advice - it certainly shaped the outcome.

Stay tuned for the build thread, it's going to be epic!!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-23-2018, 09:00 PM

Awesome choice Marcus!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 AM

Hi Marcus,

I actually voted for the crazy BRW. The set reminded a bit of a set I picked out for my Olson a few years ago. I think you will be very pleased. Here is how that turned out.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Thanks guys. And Stevie, wow! I can see a face in your Olson hahah enjoy it in good health

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I have a SCGC guitar with the same kind of Brazilian you selected, I saw the set when it was raw and it had VERY close look, like from the same tree look... I'll load some pics and post, I have in my computer.... Its a spaulted look, love the colors... nice call...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

This is how it turned out after finish.... the colors were the same as your chosen set... and I'll saw a raw set that was very similar also below...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
african blackwood, brazilian rosewood, keystone guitar, singapore, the golden era guitar