The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 11:08 PM

Red face Washburn Comfort Mini (WCGM15SK) feedback? Other questions, too...

I am a petite woman with small hands (yes, you've heard this all before) just starting guitar lessons. I work on a computer all day, too, so really want something that's going to be easy to learn and play.

I have narrowed it down to the Taylor GS Mini, the Washburn WCGM15SK (AKA comfort series mini) and to be honest, the little Marin (the LX1). I like the feel of the little martin, but the sound of the GS Mini (it's the mahogany one) and like the feel and sound (but a little tinny, maybe?) on the Washburn. They are all in the same price range.

I am a true beginner. I have played the piano. I'm 41, have a full-time job and two kids, so it will be many years before this guitar needs to be replaced (I think). Just wanted to give you some idea of the wear on this guitar. Comfort is key, but they all "seem" comfortable to me.

Any opinions on sound? Quality? What say you??
Old 01-30-2018, 11:10 PM

Default Also...

It also looks as if the Washburn is made of higher quality materials (all solid wood, etc.). However, not paying for big brand? But again, I know nothing. Hence, coming to you all!

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:47 AM

I’ve owned the little Martin. It was comfortable and fun to play. But Sonically they are lacking and as you progress I think you would become frustrated with its limitations.

The same goes for the Washburn there’s always going to be that compromise with sound.

The GS Mini is by far the best sounding of the 3 and sounds closest to a full sized guitar, however have you considered a parlour sized guitar?

Most parlours are either shorter scale or the neck joins the body at the 12th fret. There are some really great parlours out there. Havel a look at Alvarez’s AP66 as an example. I’m sure others will chime in with suggestions also.

Good luck with the search and have fun!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 AM

HI,

To clear some things up, the Washburn is not all solid woods. It has a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides, which, is how all three of your choices you narrowed down to are built.

Also, "The GS is by far the best sounding" is an opinion.... Listen with your own ears and not someone on the internet. I did not like the GS mini and don't see all the hype it gets, but that is my opinion, while clearly it is at odds with others. So, go with what you like.

As for the Washburn, since that looks to be the guitar you are focusing on. Washburn guitars are well made and nicely appointed guitars. I have several guitars and one of them is a Washburn. I find that the neck on the Washburn is very comfortable and easy playing (again, purely my own opinion). Some of that tinny sound could be mellowed out with a different set of strings, but only to a degree (like silk and steel strings, they are warm and mellow and very easy to fret).

Go with your gut on this choice. All three of your choices should hold up just fine over the years, so no matter what you choose, you are purchasing a well made little guitar.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM

Love the gs mini. In my opinion, it blows the little Martin out of the water. Sounds like the Washburn is comfortable to play but I can;t speak for the sound.

It looks like the Washburn and the gs mini are similar sizes while the little Martin is quite smaller.

My vote is for the gs mini.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM

In the mini guitar world, I strongly prefer the Martin D Jr to the GS Mini for several reasons. That said, My wife bought me a Alvarez LJ2 for Christmas. Sonically, it's not quite as big as the D Jr or the GS, but it gets you 90-95% there and for less than 1/2 the cost.

As you can see here on the MF website, it doesn't mention a case included. I can tell you that it does come with a case and it it is excellent, as good as what comes with the GS. Since it's $299 and MF is offering a 15% off coupon it can be had for $255 and you also get over $20 in "backstage pass" points if you sign up, effectively making the price $235. It is an easy playing and good sounding guitar out of the box.

The D Jr has more punch, but at a much higher price point and I have NEVER picked one up that didn't badly need a setup.

I have never seen the Washburn.

Just a thought. I play mine all the time. The l'il Alvarez is surprisingly good.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM

As a long term beginner, I commend you for thinking clearly about the choice of guitars.
Before I bought my first guitar, I read all that I could on this forum. There are some excellent people here that offer great advice.
Unlike you (apparently), I went with a full size dreadnought as my first guitar. It's taken me many years to realize that this guitar does not fit my bod shape very well at all. I also tend to believe that it's caused me to learn some bad habits as a method of compensating for the uncomfortable guitar.
Consequently, I just got rid of this guitar and I'm now the proud owner of a Recording King RP-10. This is a parlor sized guitar with a wide nut. It's made of all solid wood and the sound that comes out of this little thing is quite amazing. I find it much easier to play with my stumpy little fingers, short arms and large belly. Sound is completely subjective, so you might wish to play one before deciding what's right for you.
You might want to have a look at this guitar too as it's very affordably priced.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 01-31-2018, 09:38 AM

A couple of other choices to look at are the Guild small body guitars and the Yamaha small body guitars.
Both have nice tone and are well built for great prices.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Thumbs up

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback. I want to call you out individually and say thanks and let you know what I appreciated, but that would mean less guitar researching. ha!

Really - thank you. I am going to look at the Alvarez and that Recording King if they are near me. I very much like the idea of a lower price point. The 3/4 Yamaha sounded so good, but just wasn't as comfortable as the others - but I keep trying every time I go in as I like the $200 price tag!!!

I've got some more testing to do (with the 3 chords that I can play...)!
Old 01-31-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
HI,

To clear some things up, the Washburn is not all solid woods. It has a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides, which, is how all three of your choices you narrowed down to are built.
I think it is - I was told that it's solid mahogany on the sides with a solid spruce top, while the Taylor and Martin are laminate on the sides. But again, I know nothing!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloing View Post
I think it is - I was told that it's solid mahogany on the sides with a solid spruce top, while the Taylor and Martin are laminate on the sides. But again, I know nothing!
Nope. Laminate back and sides. Wasburn's site lists "Mahogany" as B&S material - guitarspeak for laminate (otherwise they would state all-solid as it is a HUGE selling point).

Also, solid wood Washburns start with the prefix of SW or have SW within the model number for solid woods.

The Martin D Jr IS all solid and says so. The Taylor has lam B&S.

Check out the Alvarez "parlor" models (really a 00) are also quite nice and have a roomier fretboard for making good clean chords.

Just because you are small with small hands doesn't mean you should get a travel sized guitar. It doesn't mean you shouldn't either.

Take your time and buy one that sounds and feels "right" in your hand. How a guitar feels and plays will determine whether you stick with it or not.

Good luck and take lots of test drives before buying.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-01-2018, 08:18 PM

Roy - you are absolutely correct!

I'm so darn torn. No Alverez's by me to try. I wasn't into the parlor one that I tried (well, two).

They had a gs mini koa that I played on that I LOVED, no way I am spending the $800 right now, though. I still love the little washburn, it's the most comfortable of them all to play. The koa is the nicest, and the little martin I'm still drawn to - mainly b/c it just feels heavier and sturdier to me than the others. Sturdy is good in my house with kids and dogs. The Washburn is so light. I feel like I'm going to bang it around more than it can handle!

UGH - this decision is too hard! Maybe I can find one to just borrow until I get my bearings...
Old 02-02-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I still love the little washburn, it's the most comfortable of them all to play.
Comfort is key to learning to play guitar, and you already love it, so I say go with the Wasburn. Don't worry about the light weight of the guitar. Buy a stand so that you have a stable place to put it down and take reasonably good care of it. It will be fine. The important thing is to get it into your life so that you can start playing! Have fun!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 02-02-2018, 01:11 AM

When starting out, trust your hands as well as your ears to find a guitar. I'm wary of advice that suggests that a wider fretboard is an advantage. It isn't if you can't get your hands around the neck to play it, and if you're stretching like crazy to play chords. It was, however, also important to me to really like the sound of the starter guitar. The more you like the sound, the more eager you will be to play it--even when you are struggling in the beginning.

I don't know the Washburn, but strongly prefer the sound of the GS Mini to the little Martin. But I also think the Mini off the rack is likely to need a good set up. The action is often set up too high--especially for someone just beginning.

I'm afraid I also haven't played the various parlor guitars that have been recommended, and am not familiar with parlors at your price point, but I do think a parlor guitar is a good option.

But don't be afraid to go try as many guitars out as you can--with your three chords, and don't be self-conscious. I certainly was self-conscious with my three chords when I was first looking for a guitar; but finally figured out that the sales folks don't care whether or not I can play a lick. They just want to sell a guitar. But don't be pushed into a purchase. Do as you are wisely doing--take your time, research and then get what feels and sounds best.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:07 AM

Hi , One guitar player I would try would be the new Yamaha CF3M it's just been released and it's a small folk sized guitar made of all solid wood with electrics . It comes in two finishes , natural and sunburst in the UK it's listed around £520 . Good luck with the search
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, taylor gs mini, travel guitar, washburn comfort mini