The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Martin Model America 1 Review

Domestic tonewoods shine in the Model America 1

America’s premiere guitarmaker makes a premiere guitar from woods all made in America

Specs Include: Solid tonewoods with high-gloss nitrocellulose finish, including American sycamore back and sides; Adirondack spruce top; scalloped 5/16” forward-shifted Adirondack spruce braces; satin finished cherry High Performance neck with Modified Low Oval profile, and black walnut fingerboard with a 1-3/4” width at the bone nut, 2-1/8” at the 12th fret; black walnut bridge with 2-5/32” string spacing at the compensated bone saddle, and Corian dot fret position markers; Style 18 top trim and soundhole rosette; open-back tuners with butterbean buttons; faux tortoise shell binding and pick guard

“There is a firmness to the sycamore trebles and a fullness to the bass notes, and a chiseled definition to the center of the voice, thanks to the Adirondack spruce top. The Adirondack effect makes the center of the voice quite straightforward, leaving lots of space behind, in that almost “vintage openness” sort of way.

READ THE FULL REVIEW HERE

View in 1080p for best sound
Old 10-05-2017, 08:20 AM

I’d love to have one in a OOO

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Make it with a 1-11/16" nut/2-1/8" bridge and I'll buy one tomorrow...

I'd be more than happy to sample some of that Ardbeg, though...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I listened and read your wonderful review Spoon and agree on what a lovely sounding instrument this is. As an owner of a '14 D18 and full-time working musician, I really like the sound of this guitar as it has some D18 characteristics, but it does depart from the 18 in it's own way that is very interesting to my ears as you played it it so nicely.
I normally do not prefer Adirondack spruce, but this pairing & bracing lend itself to a phat, warm yet clear voice across the register that is very appealing. I would love to wrap my ears and hands around one, very nice appointments as well in woods and all...thank you Spoon, as always well done & much appreciated!

eric
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Guest 1928

Overall, this was one of the more impressive of all the NAMM guitars I played at the factory in August. As I've noted with other current Martins, the neck shape is not my favorite, but that is strictly personal preference. It was hard to find fault with the tone of this guitar, and I liked the look.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Sounds great!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Nice guitar. Price I just found was 2800 in the US, compare to 2450 for d18. I live in the UK so the prices will be vastly higher here, pound for dollar. My question is, why is this all American wood dread more costly than the imported wood version (d18) when Gibson can do a similar thing with the J15 (all American wood) and make it far cheaper than the J45.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Nice guitar. Price I just found was 2800 in the US, compare to 2450 for d18. I live in the UK so the prices will be vastly higher here, pound for dollar. My question is, why is this all American wood dread more costly than the imported wood version (d18) when Gibson can do a similar thing with the J15 (all American wood) and make it far cheaper than the J45.
Perhaps it is my cynicism showing but I cannot help but believe it is in part due to the name of the guitar and the time in which we live. Not the cost of the materials or labor.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Why on earth does it cost more than a D18?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Why on earth does it cost more than a D18?
Limited Edition maybe? I don't know. Doesn't make sense otherwise.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:10 AM

I was really impressed by the Model America 1 as well.

As I said in a different thread, against the 2017 D-28, I vastly preferred the Model America 1. I'd love to play it side by side against a D-18.

In regards to price, I imagine the Adi top adds some of the expense over the D-18's Sitka top. However, I do wish it could have been priced lower.

I'm someone that would love to see alternative tonewoods gain traction and acceptance among guitar buyers. With how outstanding the D-18 is, and this guitar seemingly occupying much of that same space, I think it'll be a tough sell for many buyers to not only embrace the alternative tonewoods, but doing so at a price higher than the D-18.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM

The simple answer on why it costs more is the Adirondack Spruce top. I believe that is a $500 up charge now, list price, if you were to order a D-18 with that spruce, not including Custom Shop fees. Maybe it is more like $300.

Also, anytime Martin makes a new model there are costs to develop, tool up, and create it.

This will not have the lifespan or production numbers of most Martins, so they will have less time and volume to recoup their investment. That is just the way manufacturing works. A business has to be profitable to remain in business.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I don't think a $240 upcharge (street) over the standard D-18 is too bad? As always Spoon...your review was great!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well-done TSP! I agree this is a cool guitar.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Nice video, Spoon,

I enjoyed that. Through my studio monitor speakers it reminds me of a D-18GE in sound. Nice looking guitar and I like the sound characteristics.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adirondack, martin, model america 1, sycamore