The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM

Default Repairing an old beat up box.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to fix this old parlor guitar of my great grandpa's. Its in pretty bad shape, with big cracks in the top and back, loose braces, and the top is coming loose as well. I'm eventually wanting to build a guitar, and thought this would be a good first step. The guitar is unplayable now and really just decoration so I'm not too worried if it doesn't sound good.

I want to replace the top and back and re brace it. I've already removed the back (which was easy enough) as well as most of the top. However, I can't figure out how to get the top loose from between the neck block and the fret board. I probably need to remove the neck but I'm not really sure how to do that either.

I was planning on leaving the sides and just replace the top and back, using the sides to trace out the pattern. Maybe keeping the sides intact isn't possible? I'm new to this.

Also, I do have some background in woodworking but not guitars. I have basic tools but not any specialty tools.

I'm planning on bracing it like a classical and putting nylon strings on it, but like I said, if it sounds like garbage, it'll be no worse off and probably look better so, any suggestions?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Post some pictures of what you have. Include any info you have on model and brand name.

Most of the time - these repairs aren't horrible. Taking the whole guitar apart is a recipe for catastrophe, though.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 PM

What is the best way to post pics. I see you have to paste a URL. Where do I upload them?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Adaw, does this help? From the FAQs...

How do you insert a picture into your posts? The picture must be held on a website: you may not post an image directly from your computer. There are a number of websites where you may upload pictures for free such as photobucket and flickr.

Locate the image (on the web) that you'd like to display in your post, right-click on it and select Properties from the menu. Copy the entire address (URL) of the image to your clipboard [Ctrl-C]. In your post, click on the Insert Image icon (The yellow box with the mountains). A prompt will appear asking you for the URL of the image. Paste the link you copied to your clipboard [Ctrl-V], then click OK. This will insert the image into your post. (Note: You wont see the image until you preview or submit your post.)

Registered members may easily upload images of their Acoustic Guitars to our gallery at The Acoustic Gallery

Charter Members can also upload images via the built-in attachment system per the instructions here

*Remember, embedded content must adhere to the forum rules*
Old 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Thanks yes that helps

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-27-2016, 06:49 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147290...in/dateposted/

hopefully this works. Never used flickr before

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
However, I can't figure out how to get the top loose from between the neck block and the fret board. I probably need to remove the neck but I'm not really sure how to do that either.s?
The tongue of the fretboard (bit that goes over the body), needs to be heated and seperated from the top.

Doing a top replacement IMO is not advisable with the neck fitted, it's a really really awkward thing to do, at the bare minimum I would want to pull the whole fretboard of the guitar

The top of the guitar needs to be seperated from the neck block which sits under the fretboard extension.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 12-27-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanks Steve! How would you recommend heating the fretboard tongue? Also does the fretboard need to be removed from the neck or can it remain intact?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-27-2016, 08:40 PM

You can heat the tongue up with a house iron sitting on top of the frets, after10-mins you should be able to slip a knife under the fretboard and between the top.

Ideally after freeing the tongue you would remove the neck, alternatively you can leave the neck and remove the whole fretboard, as you have pulled the back and are going to remove the top. I would personally remove the neck.

You could, I do not agree with this method, you could remove the 14th fret if that's the one at the neck to body join and manually cut through the fretboard, and then just remove the tongue section and leave the neck fitted.

To remove the neck, remove the first fret past the body to neck join, drill a 3mm hole angled slightly back and try to find the pocket, do one for each side of the neck, once found apply steam and wiggle the neck off.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 PM

That's a cool old Stella guitar. It's not one you want to hack up. Restored - these are starting to bring decent money.

The construction is solid birch top, back, and sides. The fretboard and bridge are dyed pear wood. It was all hide glue construction.

It's not going to make a good classical guitar because of the hardwood top. It will be too quiet.... But it does make a good steel string for playing blues, old time, ragtime, Hawaiian, and a lot of old country music....

Check the inside of the soundhole for the number codes...

Steve Chipman with Vintage Parlor Guitars is a sponsor here... And he puts these back together. It's worth giving shooting him an email to see what putting it back together and getting it playable would cost.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the information. I didn't know the guitar was worth anything. Also the back and top are shot. It may not show in the pictures but there's a pretty big split in the top and, the back is spit and warped. The back is definitely not salvageable, and I doubt the top is. My plan was to get a blank cedar top and rosewood back, and brace it like a classical.

I'll have to do some thinking now whether or not I want to essentially turn it into a different guitar or have it restored.

The plan was to use this as practice guitar building since I wasn't really out anything, and then to have a classical guitar for cheap.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-28-2016, 04:40 PM

The pick guard is screwed on. That gives me the indication this was not one of the higher end Stella's. It would be nice to see the rest of the body. Now if it is anything like mine,

well they are guitar shaped objects. I bought a $75 guitar out of a drugstore that sounds better. The only redeeming feature on my guitar is that it was built in 1944 and other than a spit in the top and some note names scratched into the painted on fretboard it is in close to original condition. Oh, and a bent tuner.

I do not have the heart to throw it out or give it to someone who wants to learn how to play. But I can see it being the basis of a Frankenconversion for someone not wanting to go all the way and make their own guitar. Pop the neck off, remove the top and back, put on new one's, install the neck again. Getting the geometry right might be an issue if you are doming the top, mine has a flat top and back. I think mine does not have a truss rod, the fret wires, well it's more like just bar stock pressed in.

If if it sounded close to mine, almost anything you do to it will be an improvement. I say go for it. I would refrain from the rosewood though, seems like a waste. Better to use it for your second project. Because we all know you can't just build one.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 PM

If you want to fool with retopping an instrument... Go for one of the newer Asian models.....
Reasonable tuners
Good neck that has an adjustable truss rod
Bridge and fretboard are usually rosewood.
The necks are usually butted with dowels - so they are easy to cut off and convert to bolt on.
Normal shape you can get a case for.
Not worth anything on the collector market.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 PM

Haha yea its definitely not a high end model. And the sound vaguely resembles that of a bad guitar. Quite surprisingly, this is the first guitar that I learned on, and looking back now, I don't know how. The action is probably close to a half inch!

But anyway, I won't throw it out because of sentimental value so the only other logical option I can see is to attempt to fix it up. Also like I said, I think it will be a good stepping stone toward doing a complete build.

Also, I just priced some rosewood, and its definitely pricey. Probably will save that for the next build Any cheap alternatives out their? I've done most of my shopping on luthier's mercantile and stew mac, but any solid back wood seems expensive. What would be the cheapo route here?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-28-2016, 11:38 PM

The cheaper path is plywood with a veneer like rosewood or mahogany, places like joes woodworking supplies etc have veneers that you could use. The sides and back are essentially just a box, the top is where you want to dedicate your time and effort into.

Mahogany is a very cheap wood to buy and easy to work with, go solid mahogany back, spruce tops are always safe, western red cedar is nice stuff as well

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
removing top, repair