The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Epiphone Masterbilt Series vs. Gibson Acoustics

Not really a "Guitar A vs. Guitar B question," but I'd like to know your thoughts on the Epiphone Masterbilt (all three current models) compared to Gibson acoustics. I have the EF500RCCE and I think its tone is basically Gibson-like in terms of tone, but less. . . dry. What do you think?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-14-2016, 07:02 PM

I've owned a few of each, and while the Masterbilts are "Gibson-like", and very good guitars, they just don't have the Gibson vibe or thump. Something about the Gibson sound that is truly unique.

Rb
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I owned an aj500m as well as an aj500r. Decent guitars. They are heavy, and provided you find one whose neck is not warped, they are decent guitars.

By the way I also played the AJ45ME... And it was "meh". Comfortable, easy to play... But thin sounding.

I own two Gibby slopes, a Bird, and an LG2-AE. They all have that airy crispness, and the thump. I am really happy you like your EF... I have heard good things about them... But otherwise, the Epis can't be mentioned in the same sentence with the Bozemon guitars. They are that different.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:46 PM

They are both good guitars, but here is the problem. Unlike Martin and Taylor, and others, with a Gibson or an Epiphone...you need to find "a good one." You may read between the lines for yourself on that. But when it comes to Gibson and Epiphone...almost everyone knows that they can both be great guitars but, ..you need to find... "A good one." That is much less true of Martin and Taylor, Guild, Collings, etc etc etc.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:52 PM

Gotta give props to Gibson... despite some QC and high pricing issues, they are catching up to Epiphone!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 PM

I have an older Masterbilt. When I bought it I did so because I thought it was a decent Epi and never once did I associate it with being a relative to a Gibson.

Sigma resembled Martin more so than Masterbilt resemble Gibson, (to me at least).
Old 03-14-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
They are both good guitars, but here is the problem. Unlike Martin and Taylor, and others, with a Gibson or an Epiphone...you need to find "a good one." You may read between the lines for yourself on that. But when it comes to Gibson and Epiphone...almost everyone knows that they can both be great guitars but, ..you need to find... "A good one." That is much less true of Martin and Taylor, Guild, Collings, etc etc etc.
It's funny. I've played awesome Martins and some duds. Taylor's are more consistent, but, even if I really like Taylors, I prefer more meat in the tone. And most Gibsons I've played are one-dimensional. In fact, I'm more into Takamine, but my Epi, which I bout it used, is a guitar well liked by my peers.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-14-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I owned an aj500m as well as an aj500r. Decent guitars. They are heavy, and provided you find one whose neck is not warped, they are decent guitars.

By the way I also played the AJ45ME... And it was "meh". Comfortable, easy to play... But thin sounding.

I own two Gibby slopes, a Bird, and an LG2-AE. They all have that airy crispness, and the thump. I am really happy you like your EF... I have heard good things about them... But otherwise, the Epis can't be mentioned in the same sentence with the Bozemon guitars. They are that different.
I can say that with most modern Epiphone acoustics. The resonance of the EF500RCCE is really amazing. It sounds like an "old" guitar. My only gripe, although a really minor one is the "electric" part of the equation. The E-Sonic 2 sounds really good, but I like the Cool Tube-palathetic combo more. Even the Expression System is a tad better for me.

My favorite Gibson acoustics are the J-45 and the Songwriter, specially the J. I'd love to have one.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-14-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Not really a "Guitar A vs. Guitar B question," but I'd like to know your thoughts on the Epiphone Masterbilt (all three current models) compared to Gibson acoustics. I have the EF500RCCE and I think its tone is basically Gibson-like in terms of tone, but less. . . dry. What do you think?
I think in the past Epiphone has had some great guitars in the Masterbuilt line. The AJ500-M was the last great Epiphone Masterbuilt and I think the most "Gibson sounding" model they have made. These seem to be going up in value now and I'm not surprised.

I think the current models in production are really trying to distinguish themselves from the Gibson acoustic line. We have all solid wood guitars in that price range from Seagull, Fender, Alvarez and others and I think Epiphone's current Masterbuilt's are designed to compete with those instead of simply trying to be middle of the road Gibson copies. If you want an all solid wood copy of a Gibson J-45 or J-200 that stays true to the spirit of Gibson's designs look to Eastman and Blueridge. I have a Gibson J-15, Blueridge BG140 and Eastman E20SS and love both the Blueridge and Eastman every bit as much as the J-15. I would not hold one of the three as better quality in terms of craftsmanship, materials and tone.
In terms of craftsmanship and consistency I feel Eastman and Blueridge are modern counterparts to the Japanese built Epiphone Elite series. I've never played a Epiphone Elite J-45 but have played an Epiphone Elite Texan and I regret not buying it.

The bottom line is the the step up from a $500 price point where Epiphone's Masterbuilt line tries to say up to the $700-$800 range (where Eastman and Blueridge all solid wood models appear) really buys you quite a bit more guitar with the right builder but if you need to stay right at $500 USD the Masterbuilt line is pretty hard to beat. Just don't think of them as Gibson copies because even the most Gibson like of the current Masterbuilt models (EJ-45ME) doesn't sound anything like a Gibson J-45. It doesn't feel like a J-45 and it cosmetically it only loosely resembles one thanks to sharing some of the same dimensions.

If you've found a Masterbuilt model you like, it's not going to be a horrible choice, in fact it may be perfect for you but if you're buying it thinking it's the best path for the inexpensive Gibson copy the truth is Eastman and Blueridge both deliver much better in that category

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 03-14-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
It's funny. I've played awesome Martins and some duds. Taylor's are more consistent, but, even if I really like Taylors, I prefer more meat in the tone. And most Gibsons I've played are one-dimensional. In fact, I'm more into Takamine, but my Epi, which I bout it used, is a guitar well liked by my peers.
PR, interesting timing. I just bought a used Epi MB EF-500 yesterday on eBay and it's in transit to me as I write this. Excited. I've needed an OM sized cutaway for a long time, and these are pretty fab, from what I hear. I'll let you know.

Have you played a lot with the factory rig as far as settings and such? If so, I might wanna pick your brain at some point. The ones I've heard at open mics and such leave much to be desired. I've heard rumor that they can sound pretty dang good if dialed in correctly. What's your experience?

I'll let you know when it's in the barn.

Scott
Old 03-14-2016, 09:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
I think in the past Epiphone has had some great guitars in the Masterbuilt line. The AJ500-M was the last great Epiphone Masterbuilt and I think the most "Gibson sounding" model they have made. These seem to be going up in value now and I'm not surprised.

I think the current models in production are really trying to distinguish themselves from the Gibson acoustic line. We have all solid wood guitars in that price range from Seagull, Fender, Alvarez and others and I think Epiphone's current Masterbuilt's are designed to compete with those instead of simply trying to be middle of the road Gibson copies. If you want an all solid wood copy of a Gibson J-45 or J-200 that stays true to the spirit of Gibson's designs look to Eastman and Blueridge. I have a Gibson J-15, Blueridge BG140 and Eastman E20SS and love both the Blueridge and Eastman every bit as much as the J-15. I would not hold one of the three as better quality in terms of craftsmanship, materials and tone.
In terms of craftsmanship and consistency I feel Eastman and Blueridge are modern counterparts to the Japanese built Epiphone Elite series. I've never played a Epiphone Elite J-45 but have played an Epiphone Elite Texan and I regret not buying it.

The bottom line is the the step up from a $500 price point where Epiphone's Masterbuilt line tries to say up to the $700-$800 range really buys you quite a bit more guitar with the right builder but if you need to stay right at $500 USD the Masterbuilt line is pretty hard to beat. Just don't think of them as Gibson copies because even the most Gibson like of the current Masterbuilt models (EJ-45ME) doesn't sound anything like a Gibson J-45. It doesn't feel like a J-45 and it cosmetically it only loosely resembles one thanks to sharing some of the same dimensions.

If you've found a Masterbuilt model you like, it's not going to be a horrible choice, in fact it may be perfect for you but if you're buying it thinking it's the best path for the inexpensive Gibson copy the truth is Eastman and Blueridge both deliver much better in that category
Rmz, yeah, I know you have a lot of experience with the Epi MB line. No surprise that the round shouldered models (all now disc.) were the pick of the litter, since Gibson has been making that style for about 70 years. I don't think the DR models are in the same league, but they're the best seller because they look most like the square-shouldered Martins everyone's been cloning for a hundred years.

And the new AJ-45ME is, to put it politely, a dud. They ended up trying so hard to NOT make it into a J-45 that it ended making it into nothing. Without a doubt, the worst MB model in the last ten years. Bring back the AJ-500.

sm
Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Gotta give props to Gibson... despite some QC and high pricing issues, they are catching up to Epiphone!
Bingo! Love it!

It would be funnier if there weren't more than a little grain of truth in that statement.

sm
Old 03-14-2016, 11:19 PM

I haven't really liked any of the epi masterbuilts I've played, and I've played quite a few. I think I'd rather have a takamine if I were looking for a cheaper alternative to the gibson sound.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 AM

Smile

If I were looking for cheap sounding and thin, Epiphone and mostly Taylor would be perfect.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:13 AM

masterbilts sound good for a 500 dollar guitar but not even in the ballpark of a gibson and any1 who thinks so is just another agf basher of gibson.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, epiphone, gibson, masterbilt, tone