The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Default Absolute Beginner Here

Hello everyone,
I'm an adult learning to play guitar for the first time (I've also never played any instruments). I have a Yamaha FG700S guitar. I just started lessons yesterday, and it's harder than I even expected! One thing I'm struggling with is getting my fingers to form the chords and pressing down enough so the note will sound without just thunking or buzzing. My instructor suggested I use a capo to help while I'm still learning (and can then continue to use for key changes later).

Any tips or suggestions for this newbie? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 AM

Hello and welcome! Glad another is taking on a great hobby. The capo will definetely help. I would also suggest messing around with different elbow and arm positions on your fret hand (your non strumming hand). This can often allow you to get better finger placement so that pushing down on the fret becomes a little easier. Although it may feel uncomfortable or strange it had helped me specifically with barre whords when I started.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 AM

#1 - Get the name of a good guitar tech in your area and have a proper setup done (unless you are playing a rental). A properly set up guitar should play as easy as one with a capo on it. Your instructor should know that.

If you are playing a rental consider getting your own and doing #1

#2 - Check out Justinguitar.com for free instruction

Good luck!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Only tip I have is... Keep after it! It will come. There are many eureka moments in your future.

Enjoy the journey and... Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 AM

I just started a year ago at age 55. Just keep at it and it will eventually just start coming together for you. Practice every day for at least 15-30 minutes.
Huss & Dalton DS
Santa Cruz B/PW
Martin LX1 (Autographed by Cast of "Nashville")
Baby Taylor
Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi and welcome to AGF. You came to the right place for advice - lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

The Yamha FG700S is a great guitar to start with. Getting a setup done is a good suggestion - it should cost around $40-50. It will make your guitar more comfortable to play, which will speed up your learning. As a beginner, I recommend that you start with .011 gauge strings, commonly called custom light gauge. They will be easier to fret and you can move up to .012 gauge (commonly called light gauge) after you've been playing for awhile and build up some calluses on your fingertips.

I'd start by learning 5 basic chords: G, C, D, A and Em. You can play a lot of songs with those chords (folk, rock, country, etc.). Learn how to play each chord properly so all the notes sound clean with no thudding or buzzing. Then practice changing chords, learn how to go from a G to a C to a D smoothly and so on. Limit your practice sessions to 30 minutes or so. When your fingers start to get sore, take a break.

There are a lot of good resources on the internet. Good luck and, most importantly, have fun! Playing guitar is something you can do for a lifetime!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the guitar. It is harder than it looks. It takes time and a lot of repetitive effort to program your brain and fingers. After a while, it gets easier and can be incredibly rewarding. A big key is wanting to make music very badly, and that will keep you going.

A helpful tool for beginners is Rock Tips. I gave my grand daughter a Yamaha FS720S recently and gave her some of this liquid callus formula, and she was able to play for hours and hours the first day she got the guitar. She told me it made a huge difference. Rock Tips does help when you are just starting out to allow you to play with less discomfort while building calluses without getting blisters.

- Glenn
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Only tip I have is... Keep after it! It will come. There are many eureka moments in your future.

Ditto....just don't give up! It will get easier and more natural if you practice~
Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Welcome to the forum. The best and only advice I can give you is don't give up. We've all been there. We were all beginners at one time. And we've all struggled with certain chords or riffs or even just pressing the strings down.
Just stick with it, and you'll get the hang of it.
When I first started, I couldn't play a D chord at all. It was just a weird shape. And I couldn't change chords very good either. I thought I'd never do it. But I did.
Keep practicing. It's just that much more rewarding when you do start getting good.

Check out Marty Schwartz on YouTube. And Justinguitar.com (he's also on YouTube). Both great teachers for beginners and advanced players. It's what helped me along the way and I think it's a great way to learn.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post

Yep...what he said.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the forum and I will tell you playing music (especially the guitar) is a wonderful thing.

With that said.... Keep at it! Don't worry about being perfect. It does take a little while to get those fingers to work right.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElemTeacher View Post
My instructor suggested I use a capo to help while I'm still learning (and can then continue to use for key changes later).

Yep, listen to your instructor.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM

I'm going to say something very unpopular but all I can say is what worked for me. I started learning on an electric guitar. The strings were a lot easier on my fingers (I even had extra light gauge strings on my Strat) and then after a few months, I went back to acoustic. I really like having options and once you learn to play some chords, you may enjoy some variety. Now two years later, I'm glad I have both acoustics and electrics.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElemTeacher View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm an adult learning to play guitar for the first time (I've also never played any instruments). I have a Yamaha FG700S guitar. I just started lessons yesterday, and it's harder than I even expected! One thing I'm struggling with is getting my fingers to form the chords and pressing down enough so the note will sound without just thunking or buzzing. My instructor suggested I use a capo to help while I'm still learning (and can then continue to use for key changes later).

Tips and Suggestions?

1. A capo is a useful tool, learn to use it
2. An instructor is a useful thing, pay attention (you're on the right track!)
3. FG700s is a good guitar, don't spend time shopping or GASsing, just play it
4. Don't ever put the guitar away, store it where it is always in your way and you will pick it up more often
5. Never stop learning new things, never be satisfied with your skills
6. Set goals
7. Play with other people and for other people - and start soon.
8. It takes time to build strength. Treat chording like going to the gym, keep at it and the gains will come!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Welcome to the forum and to playing guitar! I was in exactly your spot in January. I think I've come a long way--but I am still using Silk and Phosphor Custom Lights so I can play longer without finger pain. Silk and Steel and Silk and Phosphor strings are the gentlest strings. (perhaps there are others I'm unaware of)

I agree with the recommendations to get your guitar set up for easier playing/fretting. My initial rental guitar had high action and light strings and I could barely make it through class. The guitar I bought, with the silk and phosphor strings, allowed me to double my playing time. I hold my guitar in a somewhat Classical way to help my shoulder and forearm.

Oh, and I iced my finger tips sometimes after class. That helped.

There are songs you can play with even one chord, so always make sure you're playing songs! It's what kept me feeling like I was accomplishing something from the beginning. Getting good takes time and flailing around actually adds up to something.

Folking around on guitar since January 2015

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, guitar