The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Arrow Show us your Goodall guitars

I am considering buying my first Goodall. They are almost impossible to come by in local stores (Twin Cities) so it's very hard for me to do any sort of comparisons. I see Goodalls pop up in the Classifieds section here once in a while and if I buy one it's going to be a gamble.

Can the good people of this forum post pictures of their Goodall guitars with a brief description of their sound? I just want to see what Goodall has to offer.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Show us your Goodall guitars

Search on "Goodall" and you should find plenty of pics and info.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 11-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Happy to... My Goodall Royal Hawaiian Jumbo. Ordered it for my 50th birthday about 10 years ago (hey - that makes me 60!). A great playing, sounding and recording guitar. Made while James was still in Hawaii. Tons of overtones. Great fingerpicking and strumming.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Sound cannot be described to the extent that it would have any influence on your decision. Impossible. All I can say is they have a resonance that's pretty much lacking in everything else I've ever played. If you need that lingering decay it's a great choice. If you like music that needs great projection and presence it's also a good choice. But, I would not match it to playing blues or jazz or any other music that may need a snappy fundamental and quick decay.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:37 PM

I'm assuming you are in the Minneapolis/StPaul area? If so, go to The Podium. They virtually always have a few Goodalls, and this has been the case at least since I got mine at the original store location 6 or so years ago. The last I was in (which was awhile ago), they had three - all were truly spectacular.

At the moment it appears there are three there (I think some are ones I tried out when I was in last): http://www.guitarrodeo.com/guitars/goodall.html

The new prices of Goodalls are quite high, but these at least would give you a chance to experience what Goodalls are all about firsthand.

For whatever its worth (which might not be much, since I don't know how well my recordings capture the sounds of my guitars), you can also hear my Goodalls in my recordings on my YouTube page. Unless noted otherwise, any steel string guitar in those recordings is a cedar/rosewood Goodall concert jumbo (other than the guitar being played by my daughter in some clips - she's playing a Martin 000-15). The 12 string recording is a Goodall jumbo 12 string.

Last edited by wcap; 11-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
...so it's very hard for me to do any sort of comparisons.....
I'll add that I've had the opportunity to play maybe a dozen Goodalls, maybe a few more than that. They have not all sounded exactly the same of course, but without exception, every single one has been a spectacular, top-notch guitar. I've actually had opportunity to play 4 different examples of the exact model that I have, some built in Hawaii, some in California, and they were, remarkably, nearly identical.

Goodalls are possibly the only make of guitar that I would be confident about buying without playing first.

Go to The Podium. Play some other guitars. Play those Goodalls. Prepare to be amazed. Not everyone is moved by Goodalls the way I am, of course, and it seems they don't suit some folks very well at all, but I've never played anything else quite like them (disclaimer - though I've played a lot of different high end guitars as a result of frequenting The Podium over the years, there are many that I have not had opportunity to play).
Old 11-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
If you need that lingering decay it's a great choice.
Lingering decay? Sounds like something my dentist has been getting on my case about.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Lingering decay? Sounds like something my dentist has been getting on my case about.
LOL. Ewwww!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I'll add that I've had the opportunity to play maybe a dozen Goodalls, maybe a few more than that. They have not all sounded exactly the same of course, but without exception, every single one has been a spectacular, top-notch guitar. I've actually had opportunity to play 4 different examples of the exact model that I have, some built in Hawaii, some in California, and they were, remarkably, nearly identical.

Goodalls are possibly the only make of guitar that I would be confident about buying without playing first.

Go to The Podium. Play some other guitars. Play those Goodalls. Prepare to be amazed. Not everyone is moved by Goodalls the way I am, of course, and it seems they don't suit some folks very well at all, but I've never played anything else quite like them (disclaimer - though I've played a lot of different high end guitars as a result of frequenting The Podium over the years, there are many that I have not had opportunity to play).
Okay, we have a Goodall fan here. I have to agree. I got rid of everything else save for the nylon string variety after I got an RCJC. It trumps everything else I've played since and has totally taken the fun out of visiting any guitar store. That will be going on 8 years now.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
It is a unique Goodall characteristic. It is almost like you have it plugged in with some very slight reverb that gives the natural acoustic sound more depth without sounding like synthetic effects. I have not played that many Goodalls, (bought the 4th one when a good used one popped up with an irresistible price tag), but they were all good players with that same tone personality -- have not played any of the standards, which seem very interesting. Mine is a cedar/RW parlor that sounds as big as a dread, and with a super even tone, though heavier in the midrange. Never posted NGD pics of this because it came with a chip on the top/binding (hence the price advantage), but that does not affect its sound. I would easily buy another slightly used one even without testing, because the resale is about guaranteed and you're almost assured a new tone in your palette.

I will try to snap a photo and add to this thread later. If you are looking for a smaller bodied guitar with a big sound, highly recommend anyone track down one of these -- it's a shame there are not more of them around ... I think they've actually downsized since moving back to Northern CA.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 11-16-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Fragment
Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Happy to... My Goodall Royal Hawaiian Jumbo. Ordered it for my 50th birthday about 10 years ago (hey - that makes me 60!). A great playing, sounding and recording guitar. Made while James was still in Hawaii. Tons of overtones. Great fingerpicking and strumming.

Wow, beautiful, congrats!
Old 11-15-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I'm assuming you are in the Minneapolis/StPaul area? If so, go to The Podium. They virtually always have a few Goodalls, and this has been the case at least since I got mine at the original store location 6 or so years ago. The last I was in (which was awhile ago), they had three - all were truly spectacular.

At the moment it appears there are three there (I think some are ones I tried out when I was in last): http://www.guitarrodeo.com/guitars/goodall.html

The new prices of Goodalls are quite high, but these at least would give you a chance to experience what Goodalls are all about firsthand.

For whatever its worth (which might not be much, since I don't know how well my recordings capture the sounds of my guitars), you can also hear my Goodalls in my recordings on my YouTube page. Unless noted otherwise, any steel string guitar in those recordings is a cedar/rosewood Goodall concert jumbo (other than the guitar being played by my daughter in some clips - she's playing a Martin 000-15). The 12 string recording is a Goodall jumbo 12 string.
Yeah, I stop by the Podium/Guitar Rodeo a lot. I've had several discussions with Jim about his Goodalls. They are all great, but I would not consider buying a new Goodall, so I am looking at the used market.

I really wanted the AGF members to share their experience with these amazing guitars. Do any in particular stand out?
Old 11-15-2014, 10:35 PM

I bought a Goodall Rosewood Standard recently. Simply a phenomenal guitar, a cut above anything else I have ever played. As others have said, it has a resonance and sustain not found in other guitars. This is a big, dread size guitar, with a rich full sound, but you can also play it softly and it just sings. Mine is 25 years old, but was hardly played. The action and intonation are perfect. They are a little pricey new, but still worth it. You can find really nice used ones for $3-4000. You can hear mine here: https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/n...nnings-goodall

Here are a couple pics.

1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 11-16-2014, 12:23 AM

You might consider this Goodall that recently appeared in the AGF classifieds: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=364822 .

I have no association with the seller. But the grand concert size is one of my favorites. And the price seems pretty darn good.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Do any in particular stand out?
Every one I've played has stood out - they've all been great.

That being said, I think all but one the ones I've played have had some sort of rosewood for back and sides. About half have had cedar tops, and about half either sitka or european spruce tops. One, a grand concert, was maple with an Engelmann top.

Other than my jumbo 12 string, all I have played have either been concert jumbos or grand concerts. I suspect the concert jumbos might be some of the most versatile Goodalls, but the grand concerts seem really great too.

I have a cedar/rosewood 6 string concert jumbo, and I love this guitar. Some of the spruce topped ones I've played since getting this have really impressed me - if I were to do this over again I might get a spruce topped concert jumbo instead. Or maybe not! They really all are great, and all I have played have had the Goodall signature sound, which I would describe as having tremendous clarity along with rich overtones, giving a sort of three dimensional sound quality.

The one Goodall I've played that was sort of different was the maple/spruce one. It had the same richness of sound but not the same brightness and dynamic range as my concert jumbo. It was a seriously nice guitar, but a little different.

Perhaps the most impressive one I've played was an rosewood/European spruce grand concert 12 string. It was absolute perfection, but, alas, I decided it was too expensive.

Another member here, jseth, used to live near the Goodall shop in California, and he says he has played at least 100 Goodalls. He seems to feel that the concert jumbo is the most versatile model. Goodall concert jumbos are great for fingerstyle, great for strumming, and simply fabulous flatpicking guitars too, in my opinion. They have wonderful strong bass, and bass notes played hard (especially with a flatpick) just sort of blossom in a wonderful way.

If I was in your shoes I'd play the ones at The Podium and decide whether a cedar top or spruce top appeals to you more. And then I'd look for some used ones. I doubt you will be disappointed with whatever Goodall you get - personally, I'd probably be thrilled with just about any grand concert or concert jumbo (and I'd probably enjoy the other body styles too).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
goodall