The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Daniel View Post
Ah, that sounds awesome! I'll be seriously considering this. And another related question, how's shipping a guitar? I know the UPS/Fedex people can get pretty rough with packages, so you think I'll be prone to getting damaged?
In addition to the guitar my sister purchased (shipped via UPS), I personally have bought four guitars on line, shipped via UPS, and have yet to ever have a problem with any of them. They all arrived in perfect condition.

Anything's possible, of course, but I think the chances of damage caused by shipping via UPS would be slim to none. UPS damage is usually due to the guitar not being packaged properly to begin with. I don't think you'd have a problem buying though an on line dealer like Kraft.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
In addition to the guitar my sister purchased (shipped via UPS), I personally have bought four guitars on line, shipped via UPS, and have yet to ever have a problem with any of them. They all arrived in perfect condition.

Anything's possible, of course, but I think the chances of damage caused by shipping via UPS would be slim to none. UPS damage is usually due to the guitar not being packaged properly to begin with. I don't think you'd have a problem buying though an on line dealer like Kraft.
Alright, that's good to hear. Thanks a bunch for your help!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
What John said! He gave me the same advice about a month ago. I ordered the guitar and have been happily wearing my fingers raw ever since. I'm 5'8 and find the dreadnought to be comfortable size-wise. It comes inside the case and packaged very carefully. It also has everything you need to get started, no shipping cost, no sales tax. $220 said and done. I couldn't be more satisfied.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM

Hey Daniel,

I've used Kraft twice, and have been happy with them. The guitars are shipped inside the case, and the guitars have been decently setup when I got them. They also ship fast. I've been fairly impressed.

I also have a FG700S, although that one was not purchased there. One thing to note about the FG series, Yamaha refers to them as Jumbo bodies. Now, Yamaha has Jumbo's that are bigger, but the FG series has a lower bout that is wider than most dreadnaughts. So Yamaha refers to them as having a Jumbo body shape. It actually allows the FG's to fit nicely in the lap, as there is some waist in them. They also don't fit real well in some generic dreadnaught hard cases. I guess the bundle would work well there.

FWIW, I have no ties to Kraft, just have bought from them a couple of times. Good luck in your quest
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Just so folks know...there is a book on this subject.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cumstratpod-20
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFive View Post
Just so folks know...there is a book on this subject.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cumstratpod-20
Thanks for that, but I've actually just ordered that Kraft bundle! Super excited to start learning!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Daniel View Post
Thanks for that, but I've actually just ordered that Kraft bundle! Super excited to start learning!
Good for you, Daniel. You'll be glad you did it. Biggest bang for the buck I know of.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM

New or used? The best thing about used is that you have a chance to see what the guitar is going to be, you are going to know what it will sound like. As wood ages things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. If you can find a 20 year old solid top guitar and it plays and sounds good, chances are it will be that way into the future.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Alright Daniel, that's a nice package and price. I bought that guitar for my son years ago. He doesn't play it much but I do, It can hang with my higher end guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner