The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 AM

Post Would like help choosing my first guitar

Alright, so I've been looking to get a guitar for some time now, but I think I need some help. My budget is interesting in that it'll have to last me the whole year, so around $225 is going to have to pay for the guitar, the setup, and the extra things like strings and cases, etc.

I've looked around and it seems like the most recommended for beginners is the Yamaha FG700S, or the Seagull S6. So I looked at what people are selling them for, and it looks like the used Yamaha is about ~$125, while the used seagull is a bit outside my price range. I may be able to find one for $225, but then I'd need to have it setup, and that's gonna be way outside my budget.

So should I get the FG700S? It seems pretty easy to find one for sale. Or maybe something in between the FG700S and the Seagull S6?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 AM

Yamaha are always solid entry-level guitars.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 AM

Personally I have yet to see a seagull I liked so I say get the the Yamaha fg or fs 700 or maybe an epiphone aj220s another option to look at is the Yamaha fd01 its similar to the fog without as much "bling" it sells a nice bit cheaper so a used one should be cheaper than the fg700. On that tight a budget if you have a good guitar playing friend ask him if it will need one since not everyone that comes from japan will be too far out of whack if it does shop around find a good tech and get the set up done and invest in a box of strings a 12pack of Ernie ball strings is about 30 bucks and should last you a whole year
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 AM

As much as I love the sound of solid cedar topped seagulls, the Yamaha will be more durable and make for the better starter guitar.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
As much as I love the sound of solid cedar topped seagulls, the Yamaha will be more durable and make for the better starter guitar.
Interesting. Could you explain how the Yamaha would be more durable? I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't really understand.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM

The S6 has a cedar top which is softer - easier to scratch, ding and crack. You ain't gonna find one in your price range anyway. The Yamaha is a good choice and if you buy it pre-owned it may already have a decent setup (if you're lucky). The Epiphone mentioned is okay too, but I think the Yamaha gets the nod on consistency - they are just great guitars for the money. Get the Yamaha and don't look back.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
The S6 has a cedar top which is softer - easier to scratch, ding and crack. You ain't gonna find one in your price range anyway. The Yamaha is a good choice and if you buy it pre-owned it may already have a decent setup (if you're lucky). The Epiphone mentioned is okay too, but I think the Yamaha gets the nod on consistency - they are just great guitars for the money. Get the Yamaha and don't look back.

Roy
Thanks, that's good to know. I appreciate the advice, too.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 AM

Here ya go. Buy this and be happy!

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-fg7...ls-bundle.html
Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
Hmm, that actually looks really interesting. The 'Standard Guitar Inspection' would be like the equivalent of getting it setup, right? And then what's the opinion of buying new vs used? I've heard you should buy used, but then again I have no idea what I'm doing so I wouldn't know what to look out for when buying used, so this might actually be a good option.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Daniel View Post
Hmm, that actually looks really interesting. The 'Standard Guitar Inspection' would be like the equivalent of getting it setup, right? And then what's the opinion of buying new vs used? I've heard you should buy used, but then again I have no idea what I'm doing so I wouldn't know what to look out for when buying used, so this might actually be a good option.
Let's put it this say. My sister recently bought this exact package as Christmas present for her grandson. After it arrived, I had a chance to check it out in detail and it had what I'd call close to a perfect setup. The boy couldn't have been happier!

I don't know for sure, but it makes me think Kraft DOES check them out before shipping them to the buyer. YMMV, of course.

I really don't think you could do much better by buying "used". Not in this price range, anyway.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM

That beginner package looks great, though if I may (depending on your build or size) suggest the same package with the smaller body FS700S? It's just about $10 more but you'll probably find the smaller body much more comfortable.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-fs7...ls-bundle.html

Many people are OK with the Dreadnought body style (the FG is a Dread) but I find them uncomfortable personally. If you're a large build you'll probably be OK with a Dread, but give this some consideration.

Alas, you'll hardly get a better deal for all of that. What a hell of a starter package!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 AM

If I may add, have you checked out any Recording King guitars? They make beautiful sounding and durable instruments and seeing as how a fg700s is around $200, you should check out the Record King "Dirty Thirty" series! I promise together won't be wasting your time.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
Let's put it this say. My sister recently bought this exact package as Christmas present for her grandson. After it arrived, I had a chance to check it out in detail and it had what I'd call close to a perfect setup. The boy couldn't have been happier!

I don't know for sure, but it makes me think Kraft DOES check them out before shipping them to the buyer. YMMV, of course.

I really don't think you could do much better by buying "used". Not in this price range, anyway.
Ah, that sounds awesome! I'll be seriously considering this. And another related question, how's shipping a guitar? I know the UPS/Fedex people can get pretty rough with packages, so you think I'll be prone to getting damaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
That beginner package looks great, though if I may (depending on your build or size) suggest the same package with the smaller body FS700S? It's just about $10 more but you'll probably find the smaller body much more comfortable.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-fs7...ls-bundle.html

Many people are OK with the Dreadnought body style (the FG is a Dread) but I find them uncomfortable personally. If you're a large build you'll probably be OK with a Dread, but give this some consideration.

Alas, you'll hardly get a better deal for all of that. What a hell of a starter package!
Oh, thanks for suggesting that. I'm 6'2" and kinda fat. I'm also only 17, so I think I might have another inch or two in me. I should be fine with the Dreadnought then, ya?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 AM

I played 2 Yamaha FG700's at GC the other day and was very impressed. For $199 they couldn't be beat and didn't require an immediate set up. I have an older FG335 and have always been impressed with Yamahas regardless of cost.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Daniel View Post
Oh, thanks for suggesting that. I'm 6'2" and kinda fat. I'm also only 17, so I think I might have another inch or two in me. I should be fine with the Dreadnought then, ya?
You should be fine with a Dread if you're that size, though many larger folk do prefer smaller bodied guitars (I'm not exactly large at 5'11" and a slim build but I do prefer smaller guitars). A Dread will give you more volume and bass punch than a GA or OM body size, so that might factor into your consideration as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner