The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM

I don't think it has been mentioned -- you get more for your money buying used. And Alvarez makes several models in your price range. Check out the Artist series for your budget.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 08-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I wouldn't describe the Yamaha FG's or a Seagull S6 as short-term guitars. They are excellent values, well-made, pretty consistent in quality, and generally sound great. Your tastes may change after you have played for a while, but you won't necessarily outgrow these anymore than you'd outgrow anything else in the price range.

As someone else pointed out, there are variations (body size, neck width) that will also make a difference. Pick a guitar that's comfortable and sounds good to you now. You should want to play it: that's really important.

Last edited by dhalbert; 08-03-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: rephrased
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Plenty of good answers already provided.

+1 for Yamaha FG 700s, 720s, 730s, heck, even a FD01s -- I'm still playing the FD and it's a rock solid guitar. I think those heavy finish Yamaha guitars would hold up well to the busking. There should be a number of these used on CL and the like.

Make sure you budget $60 or so for a set up if needed. Man did that ever make my Yamaha a pleasure to play.

Good luck! Play a lot of guitars!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Art & Lutherie is a brand made by Seagull that has a little bit more of a traditional look and comes in at a lower price point. That's what I started out with and I still love mine even though I have several more expensive guitars.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
You couldn't go wrong with either a Seagull S6 or a Yamaha fg730.
I agree here. Seagull make a great guitar and yamaha do have a decent QC. I had a Seagull S6 for years and I'm sure its still around somewhere. I like Yamaha's neck profile, although I don't own one they are a good guitar. Norman( same company as Seagull)make a decent guitar as well.
JM2C thanks
Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinchick View Post
Yeah that was my concern when I read the review for the GS mini. Ill try them out thank you
Try the Mini. You night be surprised.

Yamahas are good. Welcome to the AGF!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic choices, beginner, new guitar