The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Budget Buying Advice

I lucked out and got my first guitar(the Seagull in my signature) for 180 bucks in great shape with some character marks. I've played enough now to know that I love playing and I am ready to start considering my second purchase. I'd like a step up from what i have now with some electronics if possible. Just looking for advice on the best bang for my buck. My budget right now is $300 to $400 but if its worth the wait i can save up for a while and make a purchase in the $600 to $800 dollar range. All responses are welcome.

2007 Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo

At least a few more to come.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM

My advise?
Save until you get what you really want, the GAS monster is very real when you have a couple of bucks to spend,
just wait a while and try many guitars,
you will not regret it
dave
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Whippersnapper

I too, would wait until you save up a bit more. A 300-400 dollar guitar won't really be a step up from your Seagull. Shoot for the $800 range and you can find some really nice guitars.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

hi SJ...

$400 is what a Seagull costs, so if you intend this to be a step up, then save double or triple the cost of the Seagull.

In the meantime, I suggest you start playing guitars. My personal take is trying-before-buying (or play-before-pay) beats buy-sell at a loss-buy which many folks do frequently because they shop online.

You can really only increase your knowledge of (and appreciation for) guitars by playing a large variety of them.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Save up, get a lifer...
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM

(the Seagull in my signature)

I don't understand that term, can you explain ?
Dan
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
(the Seagull in my signature)

I don't understand that term, can you explain ?
Dan
He has his seagull guitar listed in the signature line of his profile. The signature line shows up on every post, just like your quote about missing your dog.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM

300-400 will get you a great used instrument, too, and the classifieds here are pretty safe. There is a Masterbuilt in there right now (or was) that is solid wood, classically styled, and (as a model) sounds like a dream. Ive owned 2 Epiphone Masterbuilts, both were great, versatile guitars.

Don't shun used, especially for a higher-end instrument. Most of the settling in would have already happened, and any mechanical issues usually would have presented themselves already. Caveat emptor and all that, but you can get a pretty good upgrade to your Seagull in the classifieds here, too.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 PM

The least $ Taylor 3 series that are discontinued as of 2013, The DN-3 and or the GA-3 are great values. At $1050, and $1099 respectively with a very high grade Hardshell case, any close out deals on one of these would be a super deal.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Taylor DN3's (used) are pretty common in that $800. range. If you want a Dread size they are very nice. I've played a lot of guitars in the stores lately and found the Eastmans hard to beat, if you see a used one, you should check it out. I have not had a chance to play many Larrivee's. But I would give a lot of credence to what others suggest here! Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM

I'm with those who suggest you try to save up to get to the next level guitar. You might be able to find something nice in the budget you have now, but it probably won't sound much better than what you already have. You never know what you may find out there, but saving a bit longer and trying out stuff more is not a bad thing.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
He has his seagull guitar listed in the signature line of his profile. The signature line shows up on every post, just like your quote about missing your dog.

Bel isi,
-kyle
Speaking of signatures, what does Bel isi mean, Kyle? Thanks.

PS OP, I would also save up for a Taylor DN3 or GA3. It isn't hard to find those for $800 used and I've seen them go for less than that before. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post

Bel isi,
-kyle
I wonder if he has "Show Signatures" unchecked in his Thread Display Options in the User CP.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Hi Sam,

I agree that you should experience as many guitars as you can at good guitar stores and anywhere else people will let you play their guitars. Find out what you like. The Seagull is a decent guitar and you got a steal. So there is no hurry. I agree with the comment that you should look for a good lifetime guitar. Buying and selling, selling and buying, that wastes so much money. If you do your homework first and take your time, you may just find a guitar that works for you for the next 3 or 4 decades. My 1967 Martin D-35 is, what? 46 years old now... If that was the only guitar I owned, I would still be happy. That's how good that guitar is. I hope you can find something that works for you like that...

- Glenn
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

In the meantime, I suggest you start playing guitars. My personal take is trying-before-buying (or play-before-pay) beats buy-sell at a loss-buy which many folks do frequently because they shop online.

I don't understand the correlation between trading for a loss and buying online. Retailers offer a return policy for online sales just as they do for in-store purchases.

If you buy a guitar online and don't like it, there is the option to return it. Or you can keep the instrument. Selling said instrument later on for a hypothetical loss would seem, to me, dependent on factors having little to do with whether or not the guitar was bought over the counter or over a computer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, budget, purchase, seagull