The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Default Just Ordered: Taylor GA Adi/Ovangkol BTO

So I just finalized my Taylor BTO order with Jim at Guitar Rodeo. I'm wicked excited because I think I'm finally going to get that tone that I've been going for and it should be a nice looking guitar to boot.

Here are the specs:

Grand Auditorium, no cutaway
Expression System
Adirondack top with adirondack CV bracing
Ovangkol back and sides
3-piece back with ebony mini-wedge
Ebony binding
1 3/4" nut width
25 1/2" scale length
Abalone 3 ring rosette
No fret board inlay
Chrome tuners

I've always loved the tone of ovangkol but I like the appointments of the higher-end Taylors, so I can't wait to see what it looks like with gloss on the back and sides. I'll post more info, and of course pics, when it's available.
1994 Epiphone Les Paul Bass

2008 Gibson J-185 EC (Sold)
2006 Taylor 714ce (Traded)
2002 Washburn WI24 (Sold)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Congrats! Should sound and looks really cool!

I should be playing...

======
Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Congrats! I love the Taylor BTO program. My 8 string baritone BTO will be here in less than 2 weeks. I know how you feel. Haha. Anticipation is a double edged sword. Your combo looks like it is gonna make a sweet instrument. Be sure to update us with pics when it arrives.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM

How long is your wait? I can't wait to see it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
How long is your wait? I can't wait to see it.
Jim at Guitar Rodeo said it will be anywhere from 6-10 weeks and some recent builds have been leaning more toward the 10 week end of that. So that is what I am expecting. I kind of put myself in a rough spot because I sold my only AE to fund this purchase and now all I have to play at church every Sunday is my Tele. I'm primarily an acoustic player, and am actually pretty uncomfortable on electric, so it could be an interesting transition. Maybe that will force me to get better on the Tele

Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM

I love Ovangkol! I had a BTO jumbo 12 string with Ovangkol and this is what the back looked like. From what I understand they do reserve some high quality Ovangkol for their BTOs.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I love Ovangkol! I had a BTO jumbo 12 string with Ovangkol and this is what the back looked like. From what I understand they do reserve some high quality Ovangkol for their BTOs.

I love the figure on that guitar. Unfortunately, I don't think I have very good chances of getting figured pieces for my guitar. I think Taylor is saying that they don't have any right now. I asked for a lot of figure but Jim at Guitar Rodeo said that it couldn't be guaranteed. So I'm hoping for some nice figure, but definitely not expecting it.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:59 AM

Just enjoy what is going to be a very nice guitar. Don't worry about the "figure" on another guitar. We all hear, see, and feel things differently. So long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. I hope your guitar is everything you need it to be.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
Just enjoy what is going to be a very nice guitar. Don't worry about the "figure" on another guitar. We all hear, see, and feel things differently. So long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. I hope your guitar is everything you need it to be.
I agree. I'm really after the tone more than anything. Plus, even when it isn't figured, ovangkol looks gorgeous when it's glossed. I don't know how I am going to wait up to 10 weeks for this thing!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

hi Pottski,

Oh boy! New guitar coming! Congratulations! Jim at Guitar Rodeo is so good to work with.

- Glenn
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Congrats, the specs sound great! Agree how good ovangkol looks glossed, for me the 400 series would be much nicer with this finish.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Hey Pottski - I know I'm a couple of days late but congrats on the BTO! Jim does a lot of BTOs and has a lot of respect around here (and he's a Forum sponsor). Looking forward to a review and pics in 10 weeks!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 AM

Default The waiting is the worst part!

Wow. I think the anticipation that comes from waiting for this guitar build is worse than when we were building a house. At least then I could stop by and check on the progress (or lack of progress). The weeks were flying by up until I placed my order. Now time seems to be standing still. For those who have recently received BTOs, how long did you have to wait? I thought I had heard that a lot of guitars were taking pretty close to the 10 week time limit, but really hope that's not true. Oh well, one week down, 5-9 weeks left.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM

Jim is doing mine too! I haven't finalized yet, because I'm squaring away the funds before hand. But in early May it's gonna be all done! Mr. Tordoff is the most patient, knowledgable person to work with for the BTO stuff. He's helped me out a ton. I would vouch for him any time.

2012 Taylor Custom GA: Adirondack/Flamed Maple/Koa Binding/Koa Wedge
2012 Taylor Hog BT2 (Deployment guitar.)

A couple guitars. And a lot of guns.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM

Default 4 weeks down, 4-6 to go

It's been 4 weeks since my BTO order was placed, so it's possible that I could be at the halfway point. I haven't heard anything about an expected ship date yet, but I am kind of expecting this to take the full ten weeks. Then I'll be really pleasantly surprised if it is here sooner than that. I'm going a little crazy waiting for this thing, but I know it will be worth the wait. While I wait, I am finding great amusement in the responses I get from non-guitar and non-Taylor people when I tell them I ordered a custom Taylor guitar such as:

"6-10 weeks?! What, are the building the thing from scratch?" My response, "um, yeah."

"A custom Taylor? What model/series is that?" My response, "Uh, it's a custom model, just for me."

Kind of reminds me of the Bill Engvall "Here's your sign" routine. I'm sure I'll have some more humorous responses from non-guitar folks over the next 4-6 weeks because I can't stop talking about this build. Can't wait to post some pics on here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adi, adirondack, bto, ebony binding, ovangkol