The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 AM

Is this for gigging, or just home use? I didn't notice it if you explained.

The one *pitfall* in your quest is the bass guitar. Some 12" powered PA speakers don't sound bad with bass, as long as you are not trying to get loud or too punchy - and not trying to have other things through the speaker at the same time (vocals, etc). Some, though, provide a very anemic bass sound - there's a reason bass speaker cabinets are bigger/deeper.
A keyboard through a 12" PA speaker is fine - but 10" tend to have the low end drop off badly.
Electric guitar, use a good pedalboard or modeler (go for the Helix if you've got the money and you'll never drag a tube amp around again).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-22-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
High quality Powered speaker with a mixer for the acoustic stuff (QSC, Yamaha).

Small amp or amp head with a good sounding line out or mic'ed through the board for blowing harp and electric guitar - just use an AB switch to change instruments.

Steve really knows his stuff about Bugera (and stuff in general, actually - I bought the V5 largely on his recommendation and gig with it A LOT) - but his approach is different than mine regarding weight and size. I gig with a Corolla (or 2). And an amp like the V22 would pretty much fill my trunk.
First, at Steve's suggestion I bought a Bugera V22 Infinium and have no regrets. Do a little shopping because it looks like the price has increased. Get the Infinium version, not the older model. BTW, I did swap out the tubes for JJs.

If size and weight are a concern, take a look at the Yamaha THR10 or THR10C. This is a small but capable modeling amp that has a headphone/line-out jack to plug in to your mixer or powered speaker. No, it doesn't give you exactly the sound of a tube amp, but it's pretty good, and you can edit the settings with a Windows PC or Mac and save up to five presets.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-23-2019, 12:59 AM

It’s possible to do a unified setup - I’ve got one that uses a 1U acoustic preamp and a 1U mutlifx unit. It’s great for acoustic and completely workable for electric, and it reduces the load to a rack and the instruments (assuming you’re plugging into a PA).
Old 11-25-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My pedal board pedals (in order)

Pog Nano
MXR compressor
MXR distortion
MXR drive
MXR 10 band eq
Ernie Ball VP jr
Dedicated tuner out to Boss TU-3
ART MP tube pre with Sovtek 12ax7
MXR Carbon Copy delay
MXR smart gate
TC Eletronics Corona Chorus
MXR digital reverb
Electro-Harmonix 360 looper
Thank you! This looks similar to the sort of setup I am striving for. If I am struggling with a few of my pedals this will give me some good leads for potential swap-outs. The ART MP tube pre I never would have thought for using in a signal chain like this. Do you intentionally overdrive it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Is this for gigging, or just home use? I didn't notice it if you explained.
Good question! Both. Mostly gigging. I am trying to simplify/streamline my rig to save space and maximize my familiarity with/knowledge of less equipment overall from instrument to instrument. My goal is to use my gigging rig for low(er) volume home practice and for recording work, so I am not switching setups/gear quite as much. I find switching between "home practice amps" and "gigging amps" pretty jarring. I LOVE my Chubster 40 but almost never practice with it at home. On one hand, when I do play it again, it always surprises me with how good it sounds. On the other hand, it also requires me to re-familiarize myself with it. For example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The one *pitfall* in your quest is the bass guitar. Some 12" powered PA speakers don't sound bad with bass, as long as you are not trying to get loud or too punchy - and not trying to have other things through the speaker at the same time (vocals, etc). Some, though, provide a very anemic bass sound - there's a reason bass speaker cabinets are bigger/deeper.
A keyboard through a 12" PA speaker is fine - but 10" tend to have the low end drop off badly.
Electric guitar, use a good pedalboard or modeler (go for the Helix if you've got the money and you'll never drag a tube amp around again).
Yeah, I abandoned the FRFR thing for bass for that very reason. I am trying to get what I need out of an Ashdown C112 (180w expandable to 300w with another 8ohm ext cab) and a Traynor AM Std 150w acoustic amp as my main sources of sound or as personal monitors when a good PA is available. They work fantastic for their respective focuses and have great EQ sections, but I'm going to try to make them work in a wet/dry and/or stereo setup, as well (for acoustic and electric guitar/mando, not bass). Plus, together they weigh as much as a single tube combo. I'm also going to try running my keyboard through them (C112 on the L/bass; AM Std on the R/treble side).

I can't stand menus and sub menus and USB and deep editing. I spend way too much time in front of screens already. And I don't like "hidden functionality." In my experience even though it seems more intimidating first I like the "what you see is what you get" interfaces and well-designed, purpose-driven equipment that doesn't allow (let alone require!) editing dozens of parameters to get me to the sounds I'm after. Also a big factor: I run Linux exclusively, which pretty much excludes all that "patch manager" software.

I have even avoided anything with "internal DIP switches" and the like. The exception is the XD-2 which has an attenuator for its boost function, but that is easily accessible through the battery door and pretty much "set and forget" (or just forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
First, at Steve's suggestion I bought a Bugera V22 Infinium and have no regrets. Do a little shopping because it looks like the price has increased. Get the Infinium version, not the older model. BTW, I did swap out the tubes for JJs.

If size and weight are a concern, take a look at the Yamaha THR10 or THR10C. This is a small but capable modeling amp that has a headphone/line-out jack to plug in to your mixer or powered speaker. No, it doesn't give you exactly the sound of a tube amp, but it's pretty good, and you can edit the settings with a Windows PC or Mac and save up to five presets.
The THR series looks fantastic for home practice/recording! But I'm on Linux and unless I'm recording I don't like hooking up music gear to computer. I made an exception for Pianoteq for my keyboard but that is pretty much it. So glad they officially support Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
It’s possible to do a unified setup - I’ve got one that uses a 1U acoustic preamp and a 1U mutlifx unit. It’s great for acoustic and completely workable for electric, and it reduces the load to a rack and the instruments (assuming you’re plugging into a PA).
Rack gear is even more foreign to me than pedal stuff, but I could definitely see a compact rack unit being workable. I just want to see if this pedal board based setup will work, and don't even know where to begin with rack-based equipment!

I appreciate all these suggestions. Options abound. I'm sure I will figure something out.

Last edited by ethanay; 11-25-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: answered question better
Old 11-25-2019, 02:38 PM

When playing electric, I run the pre and post gain at 3 o'clock on the tube pre to over drive the tube. I run those at 12 o'clock for acoustic usually.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:27 PM

I just wanted to give a brief update here. I am narrowing down my amplification.

I am having good luck with my solidstate pedalboard setup running into a bass amp (Ashdown OriginAL C112) or an acoustic amp (Traynor AM Standard and Roland AC-33). The keyboard also sounds great running through those amps! (though that doesn't surprise me). No current access to a PA system to test the pedalboard that way.

I am pretty sure I will be selling my Vox AV30 + FS8, and my 1958 Gibson Skylark GA-5 with custom 1x8 extension cab. It's a one trick pony that does one or two really nice tricks and I like the idea of it more than the actual sound, although everyone else raves about it when they hear it...it's nothing that I don't feel like I can get out of my Rivera Ch2 (the "american" channel).

I am not sure I will be selling my Rivera Chubster, though. Every time I plug into it it just sounds so right. So it will come down to whether or not I could consider my pedalboard preamp (Brimstone XD-2 > RevivalDrive Compact > EQ2 (Tech21 Q/Strip) > CabDryVR) my primary sound. I haven't had a chance to play it in context of a band mix. The Rivera does such a good job of keeping the guitar present without it being overbearing or muddy, my goal is to be able to get that across multiple gain stages with the pedalboard.

But life keeps getting in the way! I'd like to say that pandemics gave me time to sort through all this but I've just gotten busier in a lot of ways...
Old 05-26-2020, 11:57 PM

I think that adding a FRFR (like a Line6 Powercab) to my Yamaha THR 30ii would make for a wonderful unified electric/acoustic rig!
Old 05-27-2020, 04:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Helix and FRFR will cover all the bases, or basses, as the case may be.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-08-2020, 04:17 PM

Have those of you who use the "all in one" pedals like the Helix found them accessible with a fairly reasonable learning curve?

I really like the physical simplicity of having a single piece of hardware, which is also relatively compact and lightweight. But I don't like the *lack* of limitations. I have a tendency to explore the gear I have *inside and out* and I feel like I would get completely lost in something like the Helix. I feel like I thrive from imposed limitations and the idea of "limitless flexibility and potential" in any gear gives me a bit of anxiety!

It's for that reason that I am mostly an acoustic player, and I only ever plug in when practice or performance requires it. The limitations keep me focused on the core elements of the music: groove, rhythm, melody, harmony, timbre, etc.

Even electric guitar itself can feel like a distraction at times...! My "analog-style" pedalboard is a way to keep me focused, just enough to give me sounds I hear in my head.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I think that adding a FRFR (like a Line6 Powercab) to my Yamaha THR 30ii would make for a wonderful unified electric/acoustic rig!
I ran my THR10II into two Yamaha DBR10's and it was killer!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
acoustic, bass, electric, guitar, keyboard