The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I think that your mini looks like a mahogany mini. I mean, it looks nice. I looked at mine this morning after I read this thread and it may have darkened a bit since I got it, although I haven't owned it that long and in the relative life of the guitar I don't know if that is real or imagined. Maybe it was the light. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. I don't know, I've liked mine fine regardless. As far as the pick guard and such, I generally just leave stuff alone. Every time I dick around with something new I end up messing it up. Just my opinion because you asked. Do as you please, it's your guitar.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I happen to like the looks of Taylor guards. I’ve thought about a wooden guard for mine. Where did you get yours? Thanks
I got it from eBay. You can just search “gs mini pickguard” and all of the options will come up. There are about 4 different wood choices for the gs mini. The link to the one I got is https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pickguard-T...a-959407072359.
I contacted to seller and asked for them to send me a picture of the actual guard they would send me so I could decide which I wanted the most. I can’t speak on the quality yet since I don’t have it in hand but it’s was a decent price and the seller has a 100% rating.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I think that your mini looks like a mahogany mini. I mean, it looks nice. I looked at mine this morning after I read this thread and it may have darkened a bit since I got it, although I haven't owned it that long and in the relative life of the guitar I don't know if that is real or imagined. Maybe it was the light. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. I don't know, I've liked mine fine regardless. As far as the pick guard and such, I generally just leave stuff alone. Every time I dick around with something new I end up messing it up. Just my opinion because you asked. Do as you please, it's your guitar.
I thought about leaving it alone too but there are so many people who have removed these guards with no issue. Actually I’ve seen that Taylor pickguards are easier to remove than most, plus this guitar is very new so it should be especially easy. I’ve removed pickguards before so I feel relatively confident that it will go smoothly. I personally really don’t like tortoises she’ll guards on any guitar.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
I got it from eBay. You can just search “gs mini pickguard” and all of the options will come up. There are about 4 different wood choices for the gs mini. The link to the one I got is https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pickguard-T...a-959407072359.
I contacted to seller and asked for them to send me a picture of the actual guard they would send me so I could decide which I wanted the most. I can’t speak on the quality yet since I don’t have it in hand but it’s was a decent price and the seller has a 100% rating.
Well before I saw your response I ordered a walnut one from the same company. I wish I would’ve been smart enough to ask for pictures of different styles. I think the walnut will look good though.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM

I would suggest having it bare for a while. Once the guitar matures, you can always have the pickguard placed over the top, unless u are a heavy picker
Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
I would suggest having it bare for a while. Once the guitar matures, you can always have the pickguard placed over the top, unless u are a heavy picker
I am not a heavy picker at all, my other acoustic has no pickguard on it either. Can I ask why though? Is there any reason for this other than aesthetics?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Well before I saw your response I ordered a walnut one from the same company. I wish I would’ve been smart enough to ask for pictures of different styles. I think the walnut will look good though.
The walnut will look great! I was between that and the one I got. I really like the color of the walnut but intimately decided to go with the Ziricote as I thought the colors matched the striping on the ebony fretboard and bridge. I would love to see a picture of your gs mini after you install the new pickguard!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
The walnut will look great! I was between that and the one I got. I really like the color of the walnut but intimately decided to go with the Ziricote as I thought the colors matched the striping on the ebony fretboard and bridge. I would love to see a picture of your gs mini after you install the new pickguard!

Yeah I figured one of us can start a new thread.
I want to see yours as well. I just hope it covers any Tanlines.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini mahogany, taylor