The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2020, 09:05 AM

Smile Problem and Question about Tonedexter

I used Oktava mk 012.

1. I think traning time is too short.
In James May's video, it takes about 2~3 minutes. But in my case, it only takes about 40 seconds. Is it OK?

2. It's sound like too far from listener (?)

It sounds too much sense of space. So I tried by closing up between mic and guitar. But it doesn't satisfied.

3. It's bass and treble is quiet different from mic sound.

I think bass is quite less, and treble is quite more than mic sound.
I guess the lack of bass is because of feedback issue, so i also trained at Wavemap 22, but it sound same as what i already trained.

Are these problem because of mic position? How can i fix it?

Please let me know. thank you.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:08 AM

There were a couple of recent firmware updates that made the training much faster so yes 40 secs OK.

Regarding tone, consensus seems to be that ...

... which mic you use matters a lots (best: microphones with relatively frequent response)

... and also mic placement matters a lot. There are some recommended placements to try listed on the website but you'll need to try several to see what you like best.

Additionally I have found that the setting for the tone controls on my pickup makes a difference. I get the best result picking a tone setting that sounds good straight and then not touching it after that (so that the wave map has the same tone setting as when I am actually playing). I wish there was some sort of detente or push-lock in the tone control, but I guess that's getting picky.

Nick
Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM

I experienced the same things when I had a Tonedexter. Training was definitely under a minute. Also, I found that my wave maps reduced the bass and were very bright. The wave maps also have a lack of immediacy compared to the raw pickup.

Keep trying different mic positions. Just a little adjustment will make a difference. Go to Youtube and watch videos on how people mic acoustic guitars. Also, the wave map will not sound just like the mic you are using. Another thing you will want to try is to work with the blend control to bring in a little of the raw pickup into the mix. That will help fatten up your bass.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean View Post
1. I think traning time is too short.
In James May's video, it takes about 2~3 minutes. But in my case, it only takes about 40 seconds. Is it OK?
Yes. James' video was done with an earlier version of the internal software. The new releases in the last year have consistently shortened the training time.

Quote:
2. It's sound like too far from listener (?)

It sounds too much sense of space. So I tried by closing up between mic and guitar. But it doesn't satisfied.
That is a sign that you may have your microphone too far away from your guitar and it is picking up room sound or reflections. Whenever I hear that I trash the wavemap and start over.

Quote:
3. It's bass and treble is quiet different from mic sound.

I think bass is quite less, and treble is quite more than mic sound.
I guess the lack of bass is because of feedback issue, so i also trained at Wavemap 22, but it sound same as what i already trained.
Correct that non-slot 22 wavemaps will ALWAYS - by design - have some reduction in bass. Again, the position of the microphone can affect this.

As someone already posted, do not expect the wavemap to precisely match the microphone sound.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
That is a sign that you may have your microphone too far away from your guitar and it is picking up room sound or reflections. Whenever I hear that I trash the wavemap and start over.
Could be, but this also might be the result of different aspects of the mic'd guitar sound comb filtering and cancelling each other out.

I've found mic placement is crucial, whatever mic you use and perfectly good results are possible with basic mics, i.e., sm57 at the 12th fret with a soundhole plug fitted is best for my Crafter/Fishman matrix whereas an Audix f9 is best for by Tak ef341sc.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Are these problem because of mic position? How can i fix it?
Hi K…
There are notes in the update section of the ToneDexter site that mention the shorter times for pulling waveforms. I like the shorter times a lot.

Might be your mic position is affecting your sample's tone. Easy to experiment with.

If you set the mic 8" out from the neck/body joint and pull a sample (for example)…then move it to 12" and pull another…and to 18" for another. Then compare them.

If you are not happy, you can try it in different rooms.

Have fun experimenting!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
tonedexter