The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 AM

Default Takamine EG15 specs? refret or replace?

Hi all,

My first ever guitar is an old Takamine EG15 acoustic electric that I bought second hand. I've had the frets dressed a few times over the years and it's in need of a refret. Is anyone familiar with 1990s Takamines? I am wondering if anybody knows if it's a solid top or not. I love this guitar but if it's not a solid top it's probably not worth paying $120-400 AUD to fix.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2020, 04:40 AM

Takamine are great guitars..I own two and love them. The "G" series are the "lower" end..but still sound great... the "E" series like EF, EN, etc are nice but you still have to decide on condition vs. cost to bring back into shape. If the neck is out..thats about 500 dollars to correct. This model may not be worth it. I own an ESF48c which is the Santa Fe line built in the early 90's, the ones with the southwest design inlays. The neck will need a reset in a few years, but due to the few that were built and the excellent condition and great pre amp it will be worth it. Just some things for you to think agout.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:52 AM

Takamine G series guitars are affordable starter instruments made in Taiwan. I have owned several Taks over the years and I still have two.
I believe all G series Taks have solid tops as does your EG-15 which is Solid cedar. The bodies are are all laminate backs and sides. The electronics are not of the same standards as on the Pro-Series but work well.
To answer your question; I do not feel that spending more money to repair an inexpensive guitar than it is worth, is a good value or a good financial decision.
I would move on from this guitar. It would be a great time to upgrade to the next level in quality if this is in your budget. If you want to buy another Takamine there are great values on slightly used Pro-Series Taks which area a better grade of instrument with top of the line electronics. Check out www.Reverb.com

Blues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eg15, refret, replace, takamine