The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 02:03 PM

Default proper care and long term storage

hello everyone, im new here and fairly new to the guitar world. i have started collecting vintage japanese acoustics. i would greatly appreciate some solid intel on long term storage for my acoustics. is it best to completely detune them if they wont be played for extended periods? i also have some classicals, would the same advise apply to them? thanks in advance for any tips i may get. im sure this subject has been posted many times but i am still trying to learn my way around the forum. thanks again, i hope to make some new friends here, and maybe run into some old ones!
Old 01-30-2020, 05:21 PM

If they’re not going to be played often and kept in cases, it’s probably wisest to detune them. The cumulative effect of string tension over time, especially when no one is paying attention, is likely to lead to bowed necks and/or bellied tops.

Also, depending on what you’re collecting, the nature of the construction may need to be taken into account. Laminated tops can eventually delaminate under tension over time in addition to (or as the result of) bellying, and so they’d benefit from being detensioned.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

You'll also want to make sure that they're humidified to about 45%....
Old 01-30-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I would tune them down a bit, but not de-tune them - a bit of tension on the top and neck is not a terrible thing. More importantly, wipe them down and make sure they are clean, you do not want and contaminants sitting on the finish for extended times. Make sure you latch the cases and store them somewhere they wont be exposed to any extremes of heat or humidity. I would still make sure to check them a couple times a year regardless -
Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 PM

What they said - lower the tuning 1-2 whole steps, but keep some tension on the strings. In the drier months, make sure they are humidified. A big plastic bag around the case might help hold moisture in, but do check it every couple weeks while the home is dry.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:25 PM

Default thank you

i want to thank everyone who posted on my question of storage. i appreciate all the advise and tips. it appears like the general consensus is to detune a bit but not all the way, so tomorrow i will make that my top priority. i just read about GAS and have diagnosed myself as having a bad case of it. i have been speaking with a gentleman in japan about a 1980 k. yairi oy88 beetle back. it is a little pricey, but it sure is beautiful, and from the sound clip it sounds great too(as much as i can tell from a sound clip). unfortunately i will not be able to play it before i pull the trigger. when i was first bitten by the GAS bug i was buying cheaper guitars, but as time went on i decided i was going to go for the nicer ones. im not buying as many , but my collection is looking better. i have some very nice tamas, s yairis and k yairis now. ALL I HAVE TO DO NOW IS LEARN TO PLAY BETTER! well im just ramblin on now so i will sign off. i would like to add (i hope im not breaking forum rules) i am always interested in looking at tama guitars and ibanez aw60 and above. and im glad to be on your forum!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
care, neck tension, storage, tuning, vintage