The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Default Schertler David/Unico/Jam with my iBeam?

Hi!

I am currently researching buying an amp for gigging. It's for small venues, vocals/guitar - both equally important! I was going for AER 60 Compact, but price recently became an issue, hence the change but I'm now hearing the vocals aren't great through the AER anyway.

I have a Huss and Dalton TD-M Adirondack Guitar, with an L.R.Baggs iBeam active P/U installed. I also have a Para DI to deal with EQ issues I have since learned arise when using the iBeam. I also have a soundhole cover just in case.

I'm reading that with the Unico, part of what you're paying for is that it's designed for Schertler pickups, and so I'm wondering with my setup, which of the amps would suit best? Price is an issue, but if one is significantly better, then I'll pay the extra.

As a by the by, I'm getting a Heil sound PR35 mic too if anyone has a serious issue with it to flag.

Here's some links:

David 100w 699 https://www.thomann.de/ie/schertler_david_wood.htm

Jam 200w 849 https://www.thomann.de/ie/schertler_jam_wood.htm

Unico 250w 990 https://www.thomann.de/ie/schertler_...unico_387602_0

There's others there if you have any suggestions https://www.thomann.de/ie/schertler_...f=search_prv_0

Thanks for your time people!!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:59 AM

I'm guessing I won't need much bottom end with the iBeam, and I have a Hall of Fame reverb pedal so FX aren't important either...
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM

The best vocal sound I get is through an AER Compact! Very portable as well!

But these are all great options!
Martin J40
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM

I have tried many settings on my aer and
Never got a great sound vocally on that amp.
Passable but lacking. I think the eq section
on channel 2 (the xlr channel) has less tonal
Control because it lacks the midrange adjustability
Of channel one. I wish they had added that pot
To channel two because it really renders it
Somewhat lacking.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM

I had wished this thread,
Wouldn't end dead,
With discussion of the AER.
But whatever is popular with the folk that have things,
Tends to be discussed in rings and rings,
Glorious things that they are.
I sympathise with the binary cries,
A formatting problem that never will die,
But varmonter I most appreciate your advice,
I am drunk,
As a skunk,
But would love more pertinent replies

Basically I'm mainly asking if there's any heads up on with my pick up and the Para DI, which amp would suit best? But thanks for your input andy and varmonter! I couldn't help but notice with your formatting varmonter, any sentence broken up, that requires further instection therefore, is instantly more interesting to read
Old 12-13-2017, 11:25 AM

Sorry, just to further clerify:
Its just me on guitar with vox, so the bass from schertlers couldn't hurt, don't need to cut through any mix etc
3 inputs could end up being useful if I want to add a guitar mic, or if anyone joined me I could mic em up handy.
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I can’t give you any specific info re: the iBeam, but I’ve been very happy with my Jam 200 - good selection of inputs, very good natural sound for vocals, quite connectable allowing for good flexibility. A little heavy, but a small handtruck takes care of that.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 PM

I recommend the Unico. It is my goto amp for gigs and practice. I play an OM 28 marquis, a custom Nyberg octave mandolin, Gibson mando and assorted high end ukes through it. I do use a DTAR solstice preamp with it, as I have a K&K trinity stereo set up in my guitar, and a headway pick up in my octave mando. Instruments sound devine though it! It has all you need plus. The vocals from it are quite natural. I haven't used it for vocals live; only at practice. It can go direct to a board, it mics well, and I've even used it in an outdoor setting on its own. Fantastic Amp!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:57 PM

I can highly recommend the Shertler David. I gig with it a lot in venues of all sizes. With its direct out, i can go straight to the board after the David as my monitor. For anything under 100 people I use just the David. Its powerful, clear as heck, balanced, very musical in tone and provides great vocal sound as well as over the top guitar tone. It easily transported too. Has three channels and sweepable mids with a few other knobs to tweek besides normal eq, gain, volume and the famous Shertler Reverb on each channel.
If you can afford this, go for it. You won't be shopping for another one ever again. It does it all unless you want more on board effects. Thats where pedals come in.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 12-14-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimePickle View Post
I had wished this thread,
Wouldn't end dead,
With discussion of the AER.
But whatever is popular with the folk that have things,
Tends to be discussed in rings and rings,
Glorious things that they are.
I sympathise with the binary cries,
A formatting problem that never will die,
But varmonter I most appreciate your advice,
I am drunk,
As a skunk,
But would love more pertinent replies

Basically I'm mainly asking if there's any heads up on with my pick up and the Para DI, which amp would suit best? But thanks for your input andy and varmonter! I couldn't help but notice with your formatting varmonter, any sentence broken up, that requires further instection therefore, is instantly more interesting to read
I see your point. Your getting responses from car salesmen.
My take and my advise from using these amps as mini PA systems
Is you may never be happy with the sound you get. All I have tried
have been a compromise of size and portability over sound quality.
They are no substitute for a good pa. How can they be.
The old adage "no replacement for displacement " rings true here.
I have no issues with my heil 35 as long as the hpf is ingaged
on the mic as well as the board. Otherwise I think it's a bit boomy.
Not intimately familiar with the Ibeam but if your having eq issues
perhaps the input impedance of the padi doesn't match the pup.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Quote removed
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 AM

Varmonter, thanks for your thoughtful reply! I thought the thread was dead and didn't check back for ages, sorry.
I was steamed drunk playing tunes by the time I replied the last time, I probably thought I was being funny, sadly
I see what you mean about the PA, but tbh, while im an experienced musician, im not too up on the gear end of things and want to ease myself in, till i know what im doing a bit more. I'll go with the amp for now, and move up when i can afford/justify it with gigs.
Glad to hear your Heil 35 is going well. Ill be playing small enough pubs id say, so will have no board to go to most of the time. Do you think the bass knob on a schertler would be ok to avoid boominess? Or would it be tolerable in the meantime (with HPF engaged as well on mic)? Or should I avoid it if i'm only using an amp?
The only thing I was worried about with the iBeam was that I had read on here that the Unico's circuitry was designed with Schertler PUP's in mind, and would it be worth my while to get one, if I dont even have schertler PUP's (is this what you're paying for)?
Thanks for your time!
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 AM

And I haven't bought one yet. Im going to soon, just still sussing out so I don't make a silly mistake (which I am likely to do )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, ibeam, pickup, pr35, schertler