The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-14-2016, 01:38 PM

Default McIlroy AS20 sitka/walnut — ca. 2006 #312 — R O A R S!

To post on reverb.com with new pics and a full writeup in about 3-4 days — stay tuned! — but thought I’d offer AGF a read ahead with a Minimum Viable Product of an ad meantime. Pics taken the day I received it in April 2006 and they cut to the chase re its visual singularities in the McIlroy cohort (more TK), sort of a record of feature phone capabilities themselves back then.

Still in excellent condition — no dings, cracks, et cetera. Sports Dermot’s standard specs for the build, save the custom wood rosette. I ordered this guitar in April 2005 via John F. at Shoreline, but was on a military deployment so Dermot didn’t start it until my return the following winter. He reserved the highly figured back wood for months for this guitar order especially — and it speaks to how walnut can get downright psychedelic. Top exhibits silky grain in the spruce and has acquired some patina over the years.

This sitka/walnut AS20 is remarkably immediate, loud, and energetic — particularly for its size in the range, and it competes with or transcends my larger-bodied (former) A65c on those counts — and it’s easy to get caught in the McIlroy overtone riptide when you dig in. A phenomenally extroverted guitar that’s about pure projection, has what folks find in favor of the spruce/walnut makeup — very dry, very woody, w. a hint of sweetness on top end—a cousin to and contrast w. Dermot’s cedar tops. Perhaps b.c of the spruce top on the AS body, there’s a compression that practically veers on a natural overdrive effect when you lean into the lows and mids. Makes for a distinct and powerful strummer and quite articulate as an FS kit otherwise. I’d argue this one is still opening up.

Sound clip here. Is what it is, but still gets a good deal of the AS20’s equities across. The sweatstrung McIlroy takes the first two minutes, the rest is a Martin O-17 detuned beyond recognition, just perambulating along, no direction home, all that.

$2250 takes it and will show up on reverb.com at that quote as well. No trades on this one — unless you have a McIlroy AS15 w. a wood rosette —but thanks for asking.

This is the last of my acoustic unwinds — what started as just letting go at the margin became a late-season commitment to getting down to a handful of everyday carries (my AS35n among them — the darkest of dark horses and keeper of the lot) and possible warchest for a grail play. Thanks!

Last edited by usefultree; 01-14-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: dive deeper
Old 01-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Default yes

Great sounding guitar; a looker too. Wish I'd saved more xmas money -- ah well, I can't have them all. Good luck with the sale.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 PM

Darn, if this was an A20...

GLWS
Old 01-16-2016, 12:01 PM

Absolutely stunning. The back looks like a sunset. The simple rosette is a nice touch.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-18-2016, 02:15 PM

The fabled reverb ad posted here

https://reverb.com/item/1577485-mcil...tka-walnut-312

for the duration. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
as25, irish, lowden, mcilroy, walnut