The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Elixir HD Light Phosphor Bronze on an Pre-2013 Taylor

I've been using the Elixir HD Light Phosphor Bronze strings on my 2009 Taylor 714ce SD for the past month now and have found them to be very responsive on my guitar, maybe even more so than the old Elixir .012 gauge strings that were standard from the factory. Has anyone else found them to be more responsive or better sounding, especially on older Taylor grand auditorium guitars? For me, I think they're going to be my go to string from now on.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Have some coming in the mail. Your experience makes me hopeful of similar results.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Just strung up the Goodall RCJC with 80/20s over the weekend. Prefer them to the lights so far.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM

I have 80/20's HD's on my Martin and love em

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 PM

So far, I like them on every guitar I have tried them on (a Taylor, a Martin, and a Bourgeois). A lot.

I have, however, learned over my guitar life that liking something after a week or two is not the same as liking something after a year or two. So, only time will tell if I will be liking them as much next year as I am liking them right now. But, to repeat, right now I am liking them a lot. They seem to be functioning as a magical, cure-all elixir; trebles that sometimes sounded thin are now fuller, trebles that sometimes were a tad strong, edgy and overly bright are now sweeter and rounder. Whatever the issue, they seem to solve it.

But, I have been down String Road before. I'm liking them right now, and that's all I can say. Will I still be using them a year from now? Don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.

Last edited by epaul; 04-22-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 PM

I have them on my dreds right now and I'm really really liking them. I have a feeling that these custom elixirs are going to become very popular.
2019 Fender Paramount pm-te all hog
1997 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Default New Elixir HD Phosphor bronze lights not working for me

I have a 2013 Fall LTD 414 in Tasmanian Blackwood with a Cedar top. My wife calls it the "Poets Guitar" because of the mellow sound it had with the Elixir strings it came with. Bought 4 sets of the new HD Phosphor Bronze Elixirs developed for the 800 series and put one on this guitar the other day. They totally changed the mellow character of this guitar and make it sound harsh to our ears. Talked to my local Taylor dealer who confirmed these strings were designed to give a bolder, brighter sound. That may work on some tonewoods, but Tasmanian blackwood is not one of them. I've never taken a set of strings off after a week before, but these are coming off as soon as I have the time to change them. Don't think I'll try them on my maple 14 either - it's bright enough on 80/20 lights. Will take some of the sets to my dealer and exchange them!

My Taylor Guitars
2016 514ce LTD (Granadillo/Cedar)
2016 416ce LTD (Walnut/Cedar)
2016 326e LTD Baritone (Blackwood/Mahogany)
2014 324ce FLTD (Koa/Koa)
2014 714ce FLTD (Black Heart Sassafras/Sitka Spruce)
2013 514e FLTD (Curly Mahogany/European Spruce)
2012 414ce LTD (Blackwood/Cedar)
2003 314ce LTD (Maple/Sitka Spruce)
1997 712 (Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
Old 07-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Just put Elixir HD Light phosphor bronze strings on my 2011 Taylor GA3 and have been very impressed!

I've used nothing but Elixir PB lights on this guitar since it was new, so there is definitely something different about the new HD Lights.

And by "difference", I mean improvement.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 07-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 AM

I wonder if it's safe to try these on my Martin OM with 1/4" forward shifted scalloped braces?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Just put Elixir HD Light phosphor bronze strings on my 2011 Taylor GA3 and have been very impressed!

And I've used nothing but Elixir PB lights on this guitar since it was new, so there is definitely something different about the new HD Lights.
I recently put them on my 2011 GA3 as well, and love them!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesinger48 View Post
I have a 2013 Fall LTD 414 in Tasmanian Blackwood with a Cedar top. My wife calls it the "Poets Guitar" because of the mellow sound it had with the Elixir strings it came with. Bought 4 sets of the new HD Phosphor Bronze Elixirs developed for the 800 series and put one on this guitar the other day. They totally changed the mellow character of this guitar and make it sound harsh to our ears. Talked to my local Taylor dealer who confirmed these strings were designed to give a bolder, brighter sound. That may work on some tonewoods, but Tasmanian blackwood is not one of them. I've never taken a set of strings off after a week before, but these are coming off as soon as I have the time to change them. Don't think I'll try them on my maple 14 either - it's bright enough on 80/20 lights. Will take some of the sets to my dealer and exchange them!
Few months back when the Road Show was in town I chatted with the Taylor Rep about the HD strings, he said that they wouldn't be for everyone, or for every guitar. He said that he had tried them on a number of his guitars and liked them on some and found they really didn't suit others.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Default Changed strings, got my guitar back! (Soundwise that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Few months back when the Road Show was in town I chatted with the Taylor Rep about the HD strings, he said that they wouldn't be for everyone, or for every guitar. He said that he had tried them on a number of his guitars and liked them on some and found they really didn't suit others.
That is similar to what I'm hearing from my sales person here in Houston. I took them off the Blackwood/Cedar and put on DR High Beam lights, which he had recommended. Now I have back the guitar I fell in love with 2 years ago!
I'll be very careful which guitars I try these on. Probably not my maple/spruce 314ce LTD. It's plenty bright enough already. Might try them on "Curly", my Mahogany/Eur. Spruce LTD from last year.

My Taylor Guitars
2016 514ce LTD (Granadillo/Cedar)
2016 416ce LTD (Walnut/Cedar)
2016 326e LTD Baritone (Blackwood/Mahogany)
2014 324ce FLTD (Koa/Koa)
2014 714ce FLTD (Black Heart Sassafras/Sitka Spruce)
2013 514e FLTD (Curly Mahogany/European Spruce)
2012 414ce LTD (Blackwood/Cedar)
2003 314ce LTD (Maple/Sitka Spruce)
1997 712 (Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, elixir hd light, phosphor bronze, strings, taylor guitars